Needs Suggestion

From
subham@cse.iitb.ac.in
Date:
Hi,

I am currently a student of IIT Bombay of CSE department. I am doing a
project on postgres. I need to understand its code thoroughly, so I need
"ddd" to "step through" its code. I need to start postgres on the
"backend" mode to work it with "ddd".But I am facing some difficulties in
setting up the "ddd" with "postgres" in "backend" mode.

I installed postgres many times using the instruction mentioned in the
file "INSTALL". Starting the postgres from foreground is working fine but
the "backend" mode does not work.

Kindly, suggest me how to run the postgres in "backend" mode. I have to
understand its code thoroughly to do my postgres project.

Thank You,
Subham Roy,
CSE,
IIT Bombay.

Re: Needs Suggestion

Date:
subham@cse.iitb.ac.in wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently a student of IIT Bombay of CSE department. I am doing a
> project on postgres. I need to understand its code thoroughly, so I need
> "ddd" to "step through" its code. I need to start postgres on the
> "backend" mode to work it with "ddd".But I am facing some difficulties in
> setting up the "ddd" with "postgres" in "backend" mode.
>
> I installed postgres many times using the instruction mentioned in the
> file "INSTALL". Starting the postgres from foreground is working fine but
> the "backend" mode does not work.
>
> Kindly, suggest me how to run the postgres in "backend" mode. I have to
> understand its code thoroughly to do my postgres project.

I suggest you look here first:
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/coding

and at the developer's faq.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Needs Suggestion

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM,  <subham@cse.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
> I am currently a student of IIT Bombay of CSE department. I am doing a
> project on postgres. I need to understand its code thoroughly, so I need
> "ddd" to "step through" its code. I need to start postgres on the
> "backend" mode to work it with "ddd".But I am facing some difficulties in
> setting up the "ddd" with "postgres" in "backend" mode.
>
> I installed postgres many times using the instruction mentioned in the
> file "INSTALL". Starting the postgres from foreground is working fine but
> the "backend" mode does not work.
>
> Kindly, suggest me how to run the postgres in "backend" mode. I have to
> understand its code thoroughly to do my postgres project.

If by "backend" mode you mean a standalone backend, try "postgres --single".

If you mean something else... you'll need to explain a bit more.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company