Why aren't master and slave DBs binary identical?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Hackers,

We've noticed that checksums and file sizes for the master database, and
slave database, even after all transactions have been cleared, are not
identical.  Why is that?

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Why aren't master and slave DBs binary identical?

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On Friday 18 June 2010 00:22:00 Josh Berkus wrote:
> We've noticed that checksums and file sizes for the master database, and
> slave database, even after all transactions have been cleared, are not
> identical.  Why is that?
Non Wal-Logged action like visibility bits.

Andres

Re: Why aren't master and slave DBs binary identical?

Date:
> On Friday 18 June 2010 00:22:00 Josh Berkus wrote:
>> We've noticed that checksums and file sizes for the master database, and
>> slave database, even after all transactions have been cleared, are not
>> identical.  Why is that?

> Non Wal-Logged action like visibility bits.

That wouldn't affect file sizes though.  Could we have some specifics?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Why aren't master and slave DBs binary identical?

From
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:

>> On Friday 18 June 2010 00:22:00 Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> We've noticed that checksums and file sizes for the master database, and
>>> slave database, even after all transactions have been cleared, are not
>>> identical.  Why is that?
>>>

>> Non Wal-Logged action like visibility bits.
>>

> That wouldn't affect file sizes though.  Could we have some specifics?

I have not noticed different file sizes, only checksums.

cheers

andrew