PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
"Pr, Solaiyappan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)"
Date:
this..but, is there any tentative timeline has been planned / available for the PostgreSQL 9.1 release, like for the
/><fontface="Arial" size="2">Solai</font>

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Pr, Solaiyappan (NSN - IN/Bangalore) (solaiyappan.pr@nsn.com) wrote:
> I understand this is very early to ask this.. but, is there any tentative timeline has been planned / available for
thePostgreSQL 9.1 release, like for the alpha or beta releases before the general release?

The tentative timeline is "more-or-less the same as 9.0 went".  That is
to say, we're hopeful to start a commitfest July 15th, finish by Auguet
15th, cut alpha1, then switch to GIT for the main repo, and start the
next commitfets September 15th.

All that said, this was the discussion at PGCon a few weeks ago on the
assumption we were going to get 9.0 out sometime in the July timeframe..
I'm slightly less optomistic about that at this particular time. :)

> Also, is there any synchronous replication patch planned for the PostgreSQL 9.0 version?

No.  Sync-Rep didn't make it in for 9.0 and we're way, way, wayyyy past
feature freeze on that.  The hope/plan is to get it included in 9.1
(released "summer 2011", hopefully :).
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 19:56 +0800, Pr, Solaiyappan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
wrote:
> Also, is there any synchronous replication patch planned for the
> PostgreSQL 9.0 version?

Cybertec announced new version of Cybercluster, which includes sync
replication -- I haven't tested it though.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 19:56 +0800, Pr, Solaiyappan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
> wrote:
>> Also, is there any synchronous replication patch planned for the
>> PostgreSQL 9.0 version?
>
> Cybertec announced new version of Cybercluster, which includes sync
> replication -- I haven't tested it though.

that one is basically 9.0beta + the sync rep patch posted on the list -
not something you would want to use in production...

Stefan

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
Andrea Suisani
Date:
On 06/11/2010 02:25 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 19:56 +0800, Pr, Solaiyappan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
> wrote:
>> Also, is there any synchronous replication patch planned for the
>> PostgreSQL 9.0 version?
>
> Cybertec announced new version of Cybercluster, which includes sync
> replication -- I haven't tested it though.

look at this thread for more info

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/b058e23346b050bd0fa2d3981af6da58.squirrel@internal.cybertec.at

Andrea

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On fre, 2010-06-11 at 08:15 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Pr, Solaiyappan (NSN - IN/Bangalore) (solaiyappan.pr@nsn.com) wrote:
> > I understand this is very early to ask this.. but, is there any tentative timeline has been planned / available for
thePostgreSQL 9.1 release, like for the alpha or beta releases before the general release?

> The tentative timeline is "more-or-less the same as 9.0 went".  That is
> to say, we're hopeful to start a commitfest July 15th, finish by Auguet
> 15th, cut alpha1, then switch to GIT for the main repo, and start the
> next commitfets September 15th.

I wrote it down now:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Development_Plan

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On fre, 2010-06-11 at 08:15 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> * Pr, Solaiyappan (NSN - IN/Bangalore) (solaiyappan.pr@nsn.com) wrote:
>> > I understand this is very early to ask this.. but, is there any tentative timeline has been planned / available
forthe PostgreSQL 9.1 release, like for the alpha or beta releases before the general release?

>> The tentative timeline is "more-or-less the same as 9.0 went".  That is
>> to say, we're hopeful to start a commitfest July 15th, finish by Auguet
>> 15th, cut alpha1, then switch to GIT for the main repo, and start the
>> next commitfets September 15th.
>
> I wrote it down now:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Development_Plan

Thanks!  Looks good, except I thought our plan was to cut alpha1
before the git switch.  Or maybe it doesn't matter?  Not sure.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

Date:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> I wrote it down now:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Development_Plan

> Thanks!  Looks good, except I thought our plan was to cut alpha1
> before the git switch.

Yes, I thought so too.  The page lists those events in the right order,
but now I see the associated dates don't agree.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PG 9.1 tentative timeline

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On sön, 2010-06-13 at 12:11 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> >> I wrote it down now:
> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Development_Plan
>
> > Thanks!  Looks good, except I thought our plan was to cut alpha1
> > before the git switch.
>
> Yes, I thought so too.  The page lists those events in the right order,
> but now I see the associated dates don't agree.

Yeah, I just wrote down the facts.  If the facts don't make sense, we
need to discuss changes.

I think it would make most sense to moved the Git switch to, say, August
21, which btw. is a Saturday.