Open Item: pg_controldata - machine readable?

From
Takahiro Itagaki
Date:
There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items

The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata

Should we add the module to 9.0? If we do so, SGML documentation is required.

IMHO, I'd like to put the feature into the core instead of a contrib
module, but we cannot change the catalog version in this time.
So, how about providing control file information through pg_settings
view? We will retrieve those variables as GUC options.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Open Item: pg_controldata - machine readable?

Date:
Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items

> The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
> http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata

> Should we add the module to 9.0?

No.  This is a new feature that wasn't even under consideration,
let alone written, at the time of 9.0 feature freeze.  It does not
get into either core or contrib this time around.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Open Item: pg_controldata - machine readable?

From
Joe Conway
Date:
On 05/25/2010 08:03 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
>> There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items
>
>> The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
>> http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata
>
>> Should we add the module to 9.0?
>
> No.  This is a new feature that wasn't even under consideration,
> let alone written, at the time of 9.0 feature freeze.  It does not
> get into either core or contrib this time around.

Yup, agreed. That was why I put it on github instead of sending a patch
to the list. It was also a quick and dirty hack -- maybe it could be
cleaned up for 9.1, but I'm not sure there was consensus that it was
really needed.

Joe

Date:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> >> There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items
> >> Should we add the module to 9.0?
> >
> > No.  This is a new feature that wasn't even under consideration,
> > let alone written, at the time of 9.0 feature freeze.  It does not
> > get into either core or contrib this time around.
>
> Yup, agreed. That was why I put it on github instead of sending a patch
> to the list. It was also a quick and dirty hack -- maybe it could be
> cleaned up for 9.1, but I'm not sure there was consensus that it was
> really needed.

OK, I moved it from 9.0 open items to new features for 9.1.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Open Item: pg_controldata - machine readable?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
> The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
> http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata

There's a second one of these floating around now too:
http://labs.omniti.com/trac/pgtreats/browser/trunk/contrib/control