Documentation Bug/Misnomer?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

Under:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-file-locations.html

We have:

ident_file (string)
   Specifies the configuration file for ident authentication(customarily called pg_ident.conf). This parameter can only
besetat server start.

That's not really accurate anymore, is it?  It's referring to the
username maps now, which are used for Ident, GSSAPI, SSL, etc..
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Documentation Bug/Misnomer?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Under:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-file-locations.html
>
> We have:
>
> ident_file (string)
>
>    Specifies the configuration file for ident authentication
>        (customarily called pg_ident.conf). This parameter can only be set
>        at server start.
>
> That's not really accurate anymore, is it?  It's referring to the
> username maps now, which are used for Ident, GSSAPI, SSL, etc..

That definitely looks wrong. How about this?

diff -c -r1.276 config.sgml
*** config.sgml    3 May 2010 10:31:29 -0000    1.276
--- config.sgml    18 May 2010 18:44:30 -0000
***************
!          Specifies the configuration file for
!          <application>ident</> authentication          (customarily called <filename>pg_ident.conf</>).          This
parametercan only be set at server start.        </para>
!          Specifies the configuration file for username mapping          (customarily called

Date:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> That definitely looks wrong. How about this?

Looks good to me, but I'd add a link to the Username Maps page.

Date:
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
>> That definitely looks wrong. How about this?
>
> Looks good to me, but I'd add a link to the Username Maps page.

Done and applied.