buildfarm building all live branches from git

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
For those who have been following along, today I reached a bit of a
milestone. The buildfarm member quoll, which is running a git-ized
buildfarm client due to be released in a week or so, today successfully
built all the live branches, all the way back to 7.4, from git. Note,
this is running from my test git repo, not the community's repo. Sadly,
that means its change links will be broken - I'm not exactly sure what
gets hashed to provide a commit ID in git, but the IDs don't match
between these two repos.

See <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl?member=quoll>.

cheers

andrew

Re: buildfarm building all live branches from git

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> For those who have been following along, today I reached a bit of a
> milestone. The buildfarm member quoll, which is running a git-ized buildfarm
> client due to be released in a week or so, today successfully built all the
> live branches, all the way back to 7.4, from git. Note, this is running from
> my test git repo, not the community's repo. Sadly, that means its change
> links will be broken - I'm not exactly sure what gets hashed to provide a
> commit ID in git, but the IDs don't match between these two repos.
>
> See <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl?member=quoll>.

Thanks for working on this.

...Robert

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
>> For those who have been following along, today I reached a bit of a
>> milestone. The buildfarm member quoll, which is running a git-ized buildfarm
>> client due to be released in a week or so, today successfully built all the
>> live branches, all the way back to 7.4, from git. Note, this is running from
>> my test git repo, not the community's repo. Sadly, that means its change
>> links will be broken - I'm not exactly sure what gets hashed to provide a
>> commit ID in git, but the IDs don't match between these two repos.
>>
>> See <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl?member=quoll>.
>>

> Thanks for working on this.

You're welcome ;-)

I have actually fixed the change link issue. I added an enhancement that
allows the client to specify a URL where changesets can be found. The
server code no longer presumptively assumes that the changeset can be
found on the community repo.

see the bottom of
<http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=quoll&dt=2010-05-03%2021:21:11>
for an example of this in action.

cheers

andrew

Re: buildfarm building all live branches from git

From
Alex Hunsaker
Date:
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 14:04, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> [ Awesome work getting buildfarm support for git ]

> Note, this is running from my test git repo, not the community's repo.

BTW +1 for gitting (heh, git puns are fun) a good git repo published.
Ive given up trying to trust it for back branches and always either go
to release tarballs or cvs.

> Sadly, that means its change
> links will be broken - I'm not exactly sure what gets hashed to provide a
> commit ID in git, but the IDs don't match between these two repos.

Yeah, git basically hashes *everything* including the previous
commits.  So if one commit is different in the repo all the commits
after that will have a different hash :-(

Alex Hunsaker wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 14:04, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
>> [ Awesome work getting buildfarm support for git ]
>>

>> Note, this is running from my test git repo, not the community's repo.
>>

> BTW +1 for gitting (heh, git puns are fun) a good git repo published.
> Ive given up trying to trust it for back branches and always either go
> to release tarballs or cvs.

The repo I have created is currently available publicly at
<http://github.com/oicu/pg-cvs-mirror> and you can clone
<git://github.com/oicu/pg-cvs-mirror.git>

It is kept fairly up to date (mostly within an hour of the community CVS
repo) and checked daily for validity against all live branches.

>> Sadly, that means its change
>> links will be broken - I'm not exactly sure what gets hashed to provide a
>> commit ID in git, but the IDs don't match between these two repos.
>>

> Yeah, git basically hashes *everything* including the previous
> commits.  So if one commit is different in the repo all the commits
> after that will have a different hash :-(

Right. However, I have in fact solved this issue by allowing buildfarm
members to specify a url to show changesets. In tha case of quoll this
is set thus
   scm_url => 'http://github.com/oicu/pg-cvs-mirror/commit/',

and its change links now do the right thing. The new client code should
be released in about a week.

cheers

andrew