Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

From
somasekhar Ramadurgam
Date:
sans-serif;margin: 0 auto;" width="550"><tr><td><h1 style="color: #000; font: bold 23px arial; margin:5px
0;">LinkedIn</h1><divstyle="font:13px arial, sans-serif; width:540px"><p> I'd like to add you to my professional
networkon LinkedIn.<br /><br /> - somasekhar <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="margin-bottom:
10px;"><tr><tdstyle="font: 13px arial, sans-serif; width: 490px;"><div style="padding: 5px 5px 5px 0"> somasekhar
Ramadurgam<br/> Student at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay <br /> Mumbai Area, India
href="https://www.linkedin.com/e/isd/1231429279/vRUTcgAL/EML-invg_59/"style="background-color:#ffcc00;
display:inline-block;border-right: 1px solid #7a5a20; border-bottom: 1px solid #7a5a20; padding:10px; text-decoration:
none;color: #000; text-align: center; white-space:none; font-weight: bold;">Confirm that you know somasekhar</a><p
style="width:550px; margin: 3px auto; font: 10px arial, sans-serif; color: #999;">© 2010, LinkedIn Corporation

Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

Date:
somasekhar Ramadurgam <somasekhar.102638@gmail.com> writes:

<rant>
One reason I will never, ever join LinkedIn is that they encourage
their members to spam the world like this.  If I were running this
mailing list, messages like this one would be sufficient grounds for
getting banned.
</rant>

There.  I feel better now.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> somasekhar Ramadurgam <somasekhar.102638@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
>
> <rant>
> One reason I will never, ever join LinkedIn is that they encourage
> their members to spam the world like this.  If I were running this
> mailing list, messages like this one would be sufficient grounds for
> getting banned.
> </rant>
>
> There.  I feel better now.

How about we blacklist that subject line?  I joined linkedin and I'm
pretty sure I didn't spam any mailing lists when I did so, but we seem
to keep having this problem...

...Robert

Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> somasekhar Ramadurgam <somasekhar.102638@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
>>
>> <rant>
>> One reason I will never, ever join LinkedIn is that they encourage
>> their members to spam the world like this.  If I were running this
>> mailing list, messages like this one would be sufficient grounds for
>> getting banned.
>> </rant>
>>
>> There.  I feel better now.
>
> How about we blacklist that subject line?  I joined linkedin and I'm
> pretty sure I didn't spam any mailing lists when I did so, but we seem
> to keep having this problem...

They have an option for importing your address book which I suspect is
the cause of this. It does take a few clicks to send anything though,
if memory serves.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

From
Andrew Dunstan

Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> <rant>
>>> One reason I will never, ever join LinkedIn is that they encourage
>>> their members to spam the world like this.  If I were running this
>>> mailing list, messages like this one would be sufficient grounds for
>>> getting banned.
>>> </rant>
>>>
>>> There.  I feel better now.
>>>
>> How about we blacklist that subject line?  I joined linkedin and I'm
>> pretty sure I didn't spam any mailing lists when I did so, but we seem
>> to keep having this problem...
>>

> They have an option for importing your address book which I suspect is
> the cause of this. It does take a few clicks to send anything though,
> if memory serves.

Yes, just importing contacts does not in itself cause an invitation to
be sent.

Sadly though, there is no shortage of people who will mindlessly click a
buttons.

I've actually found LinkedIn to be tolerably unobtrusive. And they
actually advise people fairly prominently to be careful about selecting
contacts, e.g.:
   People you invite to connect will become your first degree   connections. Thoughtfully select those people you know
andtrust   because these are the people you will seek advice from and request   Recommendations about your/other's
qualityof work. Because of this,   the quality of your connections is always more important than the   quantity of
connections.

I agree with Robert's suggestion of filtering out this subject.

cheers

andrew

Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Andrew Dunstan escribió:

> I've actually found LinkedIn to be tolerably unobtrusive. And they
> actually advise people fairly prominently to be careful about
> selecting contacts, e.g.:

The actual problem here is that LinkedIn for some reason adds the
mailing list address to your profile as if it were yours.  Then, when
somebody tries to add you, linkedin sends an email and it picks the list
address.

I don't know why LinkedIn does this, but it's obviously not something
that the user does knowingly.  I imagine it's a bug of some sort.  I
know because I used Majordomo's moderation functionality some time ago
and was very surprised at ending up in someone else's LinkedIn account.

--
Alvaro Herrera