recovery.conf.sample

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
Hi,

recovery.conf.sample has the following section for Hot Standby.
Is this still required?

> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # HOT STANDBY PARAMETERS
> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> #
> # If you want to enable read-only connections during recovery, enable
> # recovery_connections in postgresql.conf
> #
> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heikki classified the recovery options into the following three
groups, in the document.
   26.1. Archive recovery settings   26.2. Recovery target settings   26.3. Standby server settings

OTOH, recovery.conf.sample has classified them into the following
two groups. This is inconsistent with the document, and looks
confusing. How about modifying recovery.conf.sample to make the
grouping the same?
   ARCHIVE RECOVERY PARAMETERS   LOG-STREAMING REPLICATION PARAMETERS

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: recovery.conf.sample

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> recovery.conf.sample has the following section for Hot Standby.
> Is this still required?
>
>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> # HOT STANDBY PARAMETERS
>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> #
>> # If you want to enable read-only connections during recovery, enable
>> # recovery_connections in postgresql.conf
>> #
>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> Heikki classified the recovery options into the following three
> groups, in the document.
>
>    26.1. Archive recovery settings
>    26.2. Recovery target settings
>    26.3. Standby server settings
>
> OTOH, recovery.conf.sample has classified them into the following
> two groups. This is inconsistent with the document, and looks
> confusing. How about modifying recovery.conf.sample to make the
> grouping the same?
>
>    ARCHIVE RECOVERY PARAMETERS
>    LOG-STREAMING REPLICATION PARAMETERS

The attached patch removes the unnecessary section about HS from
recovery.conf.sample. Also it changes the grouping of parameters
in recovery.conf.sample as mentioned above.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment

Re: recovery.conf.sample

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 21:51 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> The attached patch removes the unnecessary section about HS from
> recovery.conf.sample. Also it changes the grouping of parameters
> in recovery.conf.sample as mentioned above.

I think that comment block is useful for people to remind them that some
relevant parameters need to be set in postgresql.conf. They might
otherwise try to put them in recovery.conf and be surprised by the
result.

Re: recovery.conf.sample

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> recovery.conf.sample has the following section for Hot Standby.
>> Is this still required?
>>
>>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> # HOT STANDBY PARAMETERS
>>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> #
>>> # If you want to enable read-only connections during recovery, enable
>>> # recovery_connections in postgresql.conf
>>> #
>>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Heikki classified the recovery options into the following three
>> groups, in the document.
>>
>>    26.1. Archive recovery settings
>>    26.2. Recovery target settings
>>    26.3. Standby server settings
>>
>> OTOH, recovery.conf.sample has classified them into the following
>> two groups. This is inconsistent with the document, and looks
>> confusing. How about modifying recovery.conf.sample to make the
>> grouping the same?
>>
>>    ARCHIVE RECOVERY PARAMETERS
>>    LOG-STREAMING REPLICATION PARAMETERS
>
> The attached patch removes the unnecessary section about HS from
> recovery.conf.sample. Also it changes the grouping of parameters
> in recovery.conf.sample as mentioned above.

I committed the "LOG-STREAMING REPLICATION PARAMETERS" -> "STANDBY
SERVER PARAMETERS" rename. Simon added the "RECOVERY TARGET PARAMETERS"
heading already, and he wants to keep the Hot Standby section.