Need --without-docs build switch

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Hackers,

Testing Alpha2 with the Exclusion Constraints patch on Mac recently
forced me to edit the makefiles to remove the make docs statements.
(The Mac Openjade toolchain is unalterably broken, AFAICT)  Without
editing the makefiles, it wasn't possible to build PostgreSQL on my OSX
10.4 laptop.

It strikes me that forcing people to build docs even if they don't want
to is not a good thing, both because docs won't build on all platforms
which PostgreSQL will build on, and because sometimes people just don't
want to spend the extra 50% of their build time to build the docs
(updates, headless machines, test machines).

Given that, we should have a --without-docs build switch which allows us
to disable the doc build.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Need --without-docs build switch

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Testing Alpha2 with the Exclusion Constraints patch on Mac recently
> forced me to edit the makefiles to remove the make docs statements.

How so?  The make process does not try to build the docs unless you
specifically tell it to.

> Given that, we should have a --without-docs build switch which allows us
> to disable the doc build.

This is already the default behavior...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 12/10/09 10:03 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Testing Alpha2 with the Exclusion Constraints patch on Mac recently
>> forced me to edit the makefiles to remove the make docs statements.
>
> How so?  The make process does not try to build the docs unless you
> specifically tell it to.

It most certainly did with Alpha2.  There was no way to get it NOT to
build the docs, except editing the makefile.  I haven't encountered this
behaviour before, though ...

--Josh

Re: Need --without-docs build switch

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> On 12/10/09 10:03 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>>> Testing Alpha2 with the Exclusion Constraints patch on Mac recently
>>> forced me to edit the makefiles to remove the make docs statements.
>>
>> How so?  The make process does not try to build the docs unless you
>> specifically tell it to.

> It most certainly did with Alpha2.

Hm, maybe the alpha2 tarball had docs in it already?  And they weren't
up to date?  You might be hitting the same thing I've complained of:
since "make distclean" no longer removes built docs, you can find
yourself running an update cycle when you didn't want to.  Peter
rejected my opinion that we should go back to the old behavior of
"make distclean", but I'm still not happy about it.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg01336.php
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> Hm, maybe the alpha2 tarball had docs in it already?  And they weren't
> up to date?  You might be hitting the same thing I've complained of:
> since "make distclean" no longer removes built docs, you can find
> yourself running an update cycle when you didn't want to.  Peter
> rejected my opinion that we should go back to the old behavior of
> "make distclean", but I'm still not happy about it.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg01336.php

Oh, now *that's* possible.  I copied it right over the directory for Alpha1.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Need --without-docs build switch

From
Bernd Helmle

--On 10. Dezember 2009 09:59:44 -0800 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> (The Mac Openjade toolchain is unalterably broken, AFAICT)  Without
> editing the makefiles, it wasn't possible to build PostgreSQL on my OSX
> 10.4 laptop.

You might get an idea how i fixed that here:

http://psoos.blogspot.com/2009/09/building-postgresql-documentation-on.html

However, this was on 10.5 (works on 10.6, too), so i'm not sure this
applies to 10.4 the same way (however, at least macports is still available
for 10.4).

--
Thanks
Bernd

Re: Need --without-docs build switch

From
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> >>
> >> How so?  The make process does not try to build the docs unless you
> >> specifically tell it to.
>
> > It most certainly did with Alpha2.
>
> Hm, maybe the alpha2 tarball had docs in it already?  And they weren't
> up to date?  You might be hitting the same thing I've complained of:
> since "make distclean" no longer removes built docs, you can find
> yourself running an update cycle when you didn't want to.  Peter
> rejected my opinion that we should go back to the old behavior of
> "make distclean", but I'm still not happy about it.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg01336.php

If the patch added new docs, then a doc build would be invoked by make.
A "make -C doc maintainer-clean" would remove the trigger files and thus
the docs would not be built after applying the patch.

Re: Need --without-docs build switch

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On tor, 2009-12-10 at 09:59 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Given that, we should have a --without-docs build switch which allows us
> to disable the doc build.

Btw., if you really, really, really want to avoid the issue (if there
were any), go into the src directory and build there.