Install chapter broken link

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Our instalation chapter (15.2) has a link to
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/bsd-gettext/ to get gettext on
"other systems". this link is broken. Can somebody provide a proper
one, or should we remove it?

Re: Install chapter broken link

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Our instalation chapter (15.2) has a link to
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/bsd-gettext/ to get gettext on
> "other systems". this link is broken. Can somebody provide a proper
> one, or should we remove it?

Goals of his version described at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2001-05/msg01114.php lest
anyone wonder why there was a personal port here (I know I did).  The
version most like that available now would be the ones listed at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/devel/gettext/README.html

The only popular platform I'm aware of that doesn't include it nowadays
is OS X:
http://blog.doughellmann.com/2009/06/installing-gnu-gettext-for-use-with.html
which does mean the need to install your own hasn't completely gone away.

Looks like all the various free BSDs are using GNU gettext now; that's
what I found in the NetBSD link above, and at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/gettext/  Even Solaris
aims to be compatible with the GNU version as of 2004.

I think http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ is the appropriate new link
destination.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Date:
2009/12/7 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> Our instalation chapter (15.2) has a link to
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/bsd-gettext/ to get gettext on
>> "other systems". this link is broken. Can somebody provide a proper
>> one, or should we remove it?
>>

> Goals of his version described at http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2001-05/msg01114.php lest anyone
wonderwhy there was a personal port here (I know I did).  The version most like that available now would be the ones
listedat ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/devel/gettext/README.html

> The only popular platform I'm aware of that doesn't include it nowadays is OS X:
 http://blog.doughellmann.com/2009/06/installing-gnu-gettext-for-use-with.html
> which does mean the need to install your own hasn't completely gone away.
>
> Looks like all the various free BSDs are using GNU gettext now; that's what I found in the NetBSD link above, and at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/gettext/ Even Solaris aims to be compatible with the GNU version as
of2004.

> I think http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ is the appropriate new link destination.

Seems reasonable, thanks for the investigation!

Change applied.