ident changes between 8.3 and 8.4

From
Rafael Martinez
Date:

Re: ident changes between 8.3 and 8.4

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 14:49, Rafael Martinez <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no> wrote:

> Hello
>
> We have been using for years and without problems local ident
> autentification in the database for our user postgres.
>
> These are the values that we have been using until version 8.3:
> pg_hba.conf:
> - ------------
> local    all         postgres       ident sameuser
>
> pg_ident.conf:
> - --------------
> sameuser         postgres          postgres
>
> With 8.4, we get this error if we use a map named 'sameuser'.
> - -----------------------------------------------------------
> FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
> LOG:  no match in usermap for user "postgres" authenticated as "postgres"
> CONTEXT:  usermap "sameuser"
> - -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> These are the values used with 8.4:
> pg_hba.conf:
> - ------------
> local    all         postgres       ident map=sameuser
>
> pg_ident.conf:
> - --------------
> sameuser         postgres          postgres
>
> After some investigation, we have found out that everything works
> without problems if we change the mapname used by ident to something
> different than 'sameuser'.
>
> Is this a bug or have we decided this behavior? I can not find any
> documentation explaining that 'sameuser' is not a valid mapname.

To make 8.4 behave like the previous "ident sameuser" way, just put
"ident". No map is needed.

Re: ident changes between 8.3 and 8.4

From
Andrew Dunstan

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 14:49, Rafael Martinez <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no> wrote:

>> Hello
>>
>> We have been using for years and without problems local ident
>> autentification in the database for our user postgres.
>>
>> These are the values that we have been using until version 8.3:
>> pg_hba.conf:
>> - ------------
>> local    all         postgres       ident sameuser
>>
>> pg_ident.conf:
>> - --------------
>> sameuser         postgres          postgres
>>
>> With 8.4, we get this error if we use a map named 'sameuser'.
>> - -----------------------------------------------------------
>> FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
>> LOG:  no match in usermap for user "postgres" authenticated as "postgres"
>> CONTEXT:  usermap "sameuser"
>> - -----------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> These are the values used with 8.4:
>> pg_hba.conf:
>> - ------------
>> local    all         postgres       ident map=sameuser
>>
>> pg_ident.conf:
>> - --------------
>> sameuser         postgres          postgres
>>
>> After some investigation, we have found out that everything works
>> without problems if we change the mapname used by ident to something
>> different than 'sameuser'.
>>
>> Is this a bug or have we decided this behavior? I can not find any
>> documentation explaining that 'sameuser' is not a valid mapname.
>>

> To make 8.4 behave like the previous "ident sameuser" way, just put
> "ident". No map is needed.

And it is documented in the release notes:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-4.html>, which
the OP should have read when upgrading.

cheers

andrew

Date:

Re: ident changes between 8.3 and 8.4

From
Tommy Gildseth
Date:
Andrew Dunstan skrev:

>> To make 8.4 behave like the previous "ident sameuser" way, just put
>> "ident". No map is needed.
>>

> And it is documented in the release notes:
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-4.html>, which
> the OP should have read when upgrading.

Except this isn't backwards compatible, in the sense that leaving out
sameuser on version 8.3 will give a different behaviour. This means that
the script we are using to generate the pg_hba.conf file, needs to know
about the version of postgres it's generating the pg_hba.conf file for.

So, the problem isn't in the fact that the syntax has been changed, but
in the fact that you can't use sameuser as the mapname.

--
Tommy Gildseth
DBA, Gruppe for databasedrift