Road to alpha1

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Per http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Alpha_release_process:

* Commit fest manager declares commit fest closed: kind of done

* Build farm status green or failures adequately explained: some
breakage because of local configuration problems (mostly old flex), no
serious problems

* Naming: 8.5alpha1

* Release notes: Final version Josh please?

* Optional: Update timezone data -- probably not

* Optional: Translation updates -- not this time

* Upload to ftp server -- Someone please figure out where to put this
and how to get it there.

Re: Road to alpha1

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:00 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> * Optional: Translation updates -- not this time

Actually it might be easier for translators to start translating now,
instead of starting 1 month before the release. I know, strings may
change -- but they may always change.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com

Re: Road to alpha1

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:11 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:00 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > * Optional: Translation updates -- not this time
>
> Actually it might be easier for translators to start translating now,
> instead of starting 1 month before the release. I know, strings may
> change -- but they may always change.

Possibly, but there aren't going to be any new translations within the
next two days.  We may want to reconsider this for the next alpha.

Re: Road to alpha1

From
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Date:
Peter Eisentraut escreveu:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:11 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:00 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> * Optional: Translation updates -- not this time
>> Actually it might be easier for translators to start translating now,
>> instead of starting 1 month before the release. I know, strings may
>> change -- but they may always change.
>
> Possibly, but there aren't going to be any new translations within the
> next two days.  We may want to reconsider this for the next alpha.

IMHO, it's too much work for an alpha cycle. Why not encourage it _only_ after
the last commitfest?

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/

Re: Road to alpha1

Date:
Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler@timbira.com> writes:
> Peter Eisentraut escreveu:
>> Possibly, but there aren't going to be any new translations within the
>> next two days.  We may want to reconsider this for the next alpha.
>>
> IMHO, it's too much work for an alpha cycle. Why not encourage it _only_ after
> the last commitfest?

But the translation work is incremental, no?  You might waste some
effort if the same message is changed more than once in a devel cycle,
but I doubt that's a big problem.  Not having to do all the work on a
tight deadline at the end seems well worth it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Road to alpha1

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut escreveu:
>>> Actually it might be easier for translators to start translating now,
>>> instead of starting 1 month before the release. I know, strings may
>>> change -- but they may always change.
>>
>> Possibly, but there aren't going to be any new translations within the
>> next two days.  We may want to reconsider this for the next alpha.
>>

> IMHO, it's too much work for an alpha cycle. Why not encourage it _only_ after
> the last commitfest?

What is wrong with encouraging but not requiring?  Less work for 'after
the last commitfest' that way ...

Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Road to alpha1

From
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Date:
Tom Lane escreveu:
> Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler@timbira.com> writes:
>> Peter Eisentraut escreveu:
>>> Possibly, but there aren't going to be any new translations within the
>>> next two days.  We may want to reconsider this for the next alpha.
>>>
>> IMHO, it's too much work for an alpha cycle. Why not encourage it _only_ after
>> the last commitfest?
>
> But the translation work is incremental, no?  You might waste some
> effort if the same message is changed more than once in a devel cycle,
> but I doubt that's a big problem.  Not having to do all the work on a
> tight deadline at the end seems well worth it.

I know it is worth doing incremental translation work but I'm talking about
the alpha cycle. We'll need to give time to translators and apply those
modifications. I think it is too much time for an alpha release.

Are you proposing encourage translation without giving time to translate after
the end of commitfest? If so, I think we always give such a choice ('cause the
translations are in PGFoundry); we just need some committer to grab those
modifications and apply to CVS. +1 to add this step to alpha release process.

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/