compilation with libeditpreferred is broken

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
When I try compile postgresql with --libeditpreferred option,
compilation fails when readline is also installed on the system. You can
see error report on:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dot_moth&dt=2009-08-06%2012:46:04

The main problem is in src/bin/psql/input.h where is following ifdef
magic:

  #define USE_READLINE 1
  #if defined(HAVE_READLINE_READLINE_H)
      #include <readline/readline.h>
  #elif defined(HAVE_EDITLINE_READLINE_H)
      #include <editline/readline.h>
  #elif defined(HAVE_READLINE_H)
      #include <readline.h>
  #endif

  #if defined(HAVE_READLINE_HISTORY_H)
      #include <readline/history.h>
  #elif defined(HAVE_EDITLINE_HISTORY_H)
      #include <editline/history.h>
  #elif defined(HAVE_HISTORY_H)
      #include <history.h>
  #endif

The problem is that libedit does not distribute editline/history.h and
configure detects that there is readline/history.h and sets
HAVE_READLINE_HISTORY_H macro. Finally input.h includes
editline/readline.h and readline/history.h which causes symbol
conflicts.

It seems to me that editline never distributed history.h file and
HAVE_EDITLINE_HISTORY_H is nonsense. But I'm not sure.

I attached suggested fix, but it needs also some work in ./configure -
depends if libedit/history.h existed. Anyone knows a history?

I need to backported this fix for branches 8.2 - 8.4, because
OpenSolaris PostgreSQL binaries build is broken now.

    Zdenek

Attachment

Re: compilation with libeditpreferred is broken

Date:
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> It seems to me that editline never distributed history.h file and
> HAVE_EDITLINE_HISTORY_H is nonsense. But I'm not sure.

I wouldn't count on that, in part because there are so many versions of
editline.  On an OS X machine I see

$ ls -l /usr/include/*line*
/usr/include/editline:
total 16
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6882 Feb 19  2008 readline.h

/usr/include/readline:
total 16
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22 Jul 23 11:31 history.h@ -> ../editline/readline.h
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22 Jul 23 11:31 readline.h@ -> ../editline/readline.h
        regards, tom lane

Date:
Dne  7.08.09 00:13, Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
>> It seems to me that editline never distributed history.h file and
>> HAVE_EDITLINE_HISTORY_H is nonsense. But I'm not sure.
>
> I wouldn't count on that, in part because there are so many versions of
> editline.  On an OS X machine I see
>
> $ ls -l /usr/include/*line*
> /usr/include/editline:
> total 16
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6882 Feb 19  2008 readline.h
>
> /usr/include/readline:
> total 16
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22 Jul 23 11:31 history.h@ -> ../editline/readline.h
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22 Jul 23 11:31 readline.h@ -> ../editline/readline.h

It is only hack for application which wants to have readline and they
don't detects libedit. Finally it is like:

#include <editline/readline.h>
#include <editline/readline.h>

I little bit searching on Internet and it seems that when edit/history.h
exists it is link to editline/readline.h. (See e.g.
http://sysinf0.klabs.be/usr/include/editline/history.h?dist=;arch= )

This link is created by packager, because when you compiling libedit,
make install does not create it.

By my opinion HAVE_EDITLINE_HISTORY_H is overhead, but we can keep it.
Zdenek

Re: compilation with libeditpreferred is broken

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
I attached conservative version of patch which only reorder #define to
avoid cross including half from readline and half from editline.

    Zdenek

Date:
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> I attached conservative version of patch which only reorder #define to
> avoid cross including half from readline and half from editline.

Applied, thanks.
        regards, tom lane