TODO items: Alter view add column

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
Hi,

This one is still in the TODO (and marked as not done). but i think
this is partially done (at least the last entry should be removed),
right?

Improve ability to modify views via ALTER TABLE  * Re: idea: storing view source in system catalogs  * modifying views
*Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: TODO items: Alter view add column

Date:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This one is still in the TODO (and marked as not done). but i think
> this is partially done (at least the last entry should be removed),
> right?
>
> Improve ability to modify views via ALTER TABLE
>    * Re: idea: storing view source in system catalogs
>    * modifying views
>    * Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW

I think we only completed this for 8.4:
     * Allow "CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW" to add columns to the end    of a view (Robert Haas)

so I think those links are all still relevant.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO items: Alter view add column

From
Bernd Helmle
Date:
--On Montag, Juli 06, 2009 13:51:36 -0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
wrote:

> I think we only completed this for 8.4:
>
>          * Allow "CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW" to add columns to the end
>         of a view (Robert Haas)

Yes, this is done, but we're still not able to drop or change column names
of a view.

--  Thanks
                   Bernd

Date:
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Bernd Helmle<mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
> --On Montag, Juli 06, 2009 13:51:36 -0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> wrote:
>
>> I think we only completed this for 8.4:
>>
>>             * Allow "CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW" to add columns to the end
>>                of a view (Robert Haas)
>>

> Yes, this is done, but we're still not able to drop or change column names
> of a view.

Then the 3rd point on that item should be removed or reworded...

--

Date:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Bernd Helmle<mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
> > --On Montag, Juli 06, 2009 13:51:36 -0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I think we only completed this for 8.4:
> >>
> >> ? ? ? ? ? ? * Allow "CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW" to add columns to the end
> >> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?of a view (Robert Haas)
> >>

> > Yes, this is done, but we're still not able to drop or change column names
> > of a view.
> >

> Then the 3rd point on that item should be removed or reworded...

The problem is that third item is an email subject, not text we can
typically modify.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO items: Alter view add column

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Bernd Helmle<mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
> > --On Montag, Juli 06, 2009 13:51:36 -0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I think we only completed this for 8.4:
> >>
> >>             * Allow "CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW" to add columns to the end
> >>                of a view (Robert Haas)
> >
> > Yes, this is done, but we're still not able to drop or change column names
> > of a view.
>
> Then the 3rd point on that item should be removed or reworded...

I think the main text of the item should be reworded or made more
verbose, to make more explicit what is it about.  I think vague
descriptions of TODO items are a bad idea in general because you can
never close them.  If an item is too big, perhaps it should be split in
multiple, more manageable items.

Re: TODO items: Alter view add column

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> The problem is that third item is an email subject, not text we can
> typically modify.
Is it really more important that the line in the TODO list reflect the
subject line of the referenced email than that it accurately describe
the work we want done?  If so, perhaps someone should start a new
thread which references back to the old one from which work is already
done, committed, and released.
-Kevin