sun blade 1000 donation

From
andy
Date:
I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days.  I was wondering if there were any pg-hackers that could
finduse for it.

Its dual UltraSPARC III 750 (I think) and has two 36? gig fiber channel scsi disks.

It weighs a ton.

I'd be happy to donate it to a good cause.

-Andy

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andy,

> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days.  I was
> wondering if there were any pg-hackers that could find use for it.
>
> Its dual UltraSPARC III 750 (I think) and has two 36? gig fiber channel
> scsi disks.
>
> It weighs a ton.
>
> I'd be happy to donate it to a good cause.

Feh, as much as we need more servers, we're really limited in our
ability to accept stuff which is large & high power consumption.

Now, if we had a DSL line we could hook it to, I could see using it for
the buildfarm; it would be interesting old HW / old Solaris for us.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Mike Rylander
Date:
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Andy,
>
>> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days.  I was
>> wondering if there were any pg-hackers that could find use for it.
>>
>> Its dual UltraSPARC III 750 (I think) and has two 36? gig fiber channel
>> scsi disks.
>>
>> It weighs a ton.
>>
>> I'd be happy to donate it to a good cause.
>
> Feh, as much as we need more servers, we're really limited in our ability to
> accept stuff which is large & high power consumption.
>
> Now, if we had a DSL line we could hook it to, I could see using it for the
> buildfarm; it would be interesting old HW / old Solaris for us.

Would you like an IPC instead?  Though building PG on it might take
longer than the average release cycle.  ;)

--
Mike Rylander| VP, Research and Design| Equinox Software, Inc. / The Evergreen Experts| phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS
(673-6457)|email:  miker@esilibrary.com| web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Wed, 27 May 2009, andy wrote:

> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days...It weighs
> a ton.

Bah, I know I picked one of those up myself once, which means it's far
from being what I'd consider a heavy server as Sun hardware goes.  Specs
say it's 70 pounds and pulls 670W.  It's a tower form factor through,
right?  That would make it hard to install some places.

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Andy Colson
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009, andy wrote:
>
>> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days...It
>> weighs a ton.
>
> Bah, I know I picked one of those up myself once, which means it's far
> from being what I'd consider a heavy server as Sun hardware goes.  Specs
> say it's 70 pounds and pulls 670W.  It's a tower form factor through,
> right?  That would make it hard to install some places.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

Yeah, when it shipped I think it was about 75 pounds.  It is a tower,
yes, and an impressively large box (my experience with servers is
limited, this is the first I've ever gotten to play with, so it may not
be out of the ordinary).  I think my kill-a-watt said, at idle, it was
near 300W.  (Though it's been a while, I may not be remembering that
correctly, and I don't recall looking at it under load)

-Andy

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
"Jignesh K. Shah"

On 05/27/09 22:00, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andy,
>
>> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days.  I was
>> wondering if there were any pg-hackers that could find use for it.
>>
>> Its dual UltraSPARC III 750 (I think) and has two 36? gig fiber channel
>> scsi disks.
>>
>> It weighs a ton.
>>
>> I'd be happy to donate it to a good cause.
>
> Feh, as much as we need more servers, we're really limited in our
> ability to accept stuff which is large & high power consumption.
>
> Now, if we had a DSL line we could hook it to, I could see using it
> for the buildfarm; it would be interesting old HW / old Solaris for us.

Actually I think you can use cutting edge OpenSolaris 2009.06 release
(which will happen in less than a week)  for SPARC on that hardware. I
haven't tried it out on Sun Blade 1000/2000 yet but in theory you can.
Refer to the following thread

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/indiana-discuss/2009-February/014134.html

Though you will need an Automated Installer setup to install OpenSolaris
on SPARC
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/dev/AIinstall/index.html

Regards,
Jignesh

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Andy Colson
Date:
Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

> On 05/27/09 22:00, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Andy,
>>
>>> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days.  I was
>>> wondering if there were any pg-hackers that could find use for it.
>>>
>>> Its dual UltraSPARC III 750 (I think) and has two 36? gig fiber channel
>>> scsi disks.
>>>
>>> It weighs a ton.
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to donate it to a good cause.
>>
>> Feh, as much as we need more servers, we're really limited in our
>> ability to accept stuff which is large & high power consumption.
>>
>> Now, if we had a DSL line we could hook it to, I could see using it
>> for the buildfarm; it would be interesting old HW / old Solaris for us.
>>

> Actually I think you can use cutting edge OpenSolaris 2009.06 release
> (which will happen in less than a week)  for SPARC on that hardware. I
> haven't tried it out on Sun Blade 1000/2000 yet but in theory you can.
> Refer to the following thread
>
> http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/indiana-discuss/2009-February/014134.html
>

> Though you will need an Automated Installer setup to install OpenSolaris
> on SPARC
> http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/dev/AIinstall/index.html
>

> Regards,
> Jignesh

Well that could be fun to play with.  I have snv_99 on there now, so I'm
not too outdated.  The two drives are in a zfs mirror and as long as you
use both processors its a pretty snappy box.  (gmake vs gmake -j 4 is
noticeably faster)

But still.. I'm buying a new computer and need to clear out some of the
old one's first. (I took a count, and I have about 11 computers,
counting anything I can ssh to or run apache on as a computer (so my
gf's iTouch counts as a computer))

-Andy

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Andy Colson
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009, Andy Colson wrote:
>
>> Yeah, when it shipped I think it was about 75 pounds.  It is a tower,
>> yes, and an impressively large box (my experience with servers is
>> limited, this is the first I've ever gotten to play with, so it may
>> not be out of the ordinary).
>
> To give you a better idea of the scale people were thinking with your
> original comment, the last Sun server I installed was 170 pounds and you
> had to provision a dedicated power outlet for it.  The Blade 1000 would
> be considered a medium sized server.  A small server is one that fits in
> 1 to 3 rack units.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

Sweet.  That sounds fun to play on.  So yeah, as I was saying before,
its a 75lb box, nothing huge.. ya know... average... :-)

-Andy

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andy,

> Yeah, when it shipped I think it was about 75 pounds. It is a tower,
> yes, and an impressively large box (my experience with servers is
> limited, this is the first I've ever gotten to play with, so it may not
> be out of the ordinary). I think my kill-a-watt said, at idle, it was
> near 300W. (Though it's been a while, I may not be remembering that
> correctly, and I don't recall looking at it under load)

Ok, that's not as bad as the spec sheet online looked.  The machine is
still too slow/old for benchmarking though, and we couldn't rack it (our
donated rack space is limited).  Does someone have a home for this
machine?  And would we use it for buildfarm, or for something else?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
Andy Colson
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andy,
>
>> Yeah, when it shipped I think it was about 75 pounds. It is a tower,
>> yes, and an impressively large box (my experience with servers is
>> limited, this is the first I've ever gotten to play with, so it may not
>> be out of the ordinary). I think my kill-a-watt said, at idle, it was
>> near 300W. (Though it's been a while, I may not be remembering that
>> correctly, and I don't recall looking at it under load)
>
> Ok, that's not as bad as the spec sheet online looked.  The machine is
> still too slow/old for benchmarking though, and we couldn't rack it (our
> donated rack space is limited).  Does someone have a home for this
> machine?  And would we use it for buildfarm, or for something else?

I'll plug it in tonight when I get home and verify those numbers.

It looks like there are a bunch of sparc build farm members, would
another really be helpful?

-Andy

Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From
andy
Date:
Andy Colson wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Andy,
>>
>>> Yeah, when it shipped I think it was about 75 pounds. It is a tower,
>>> yes, and an impressively large box (my experience with servers is
>>> limited, this is the first I've ever gotten to play with, so it may not
>>> be out of the ordinary). I think my kill-a-watt said, at idle, it was
>>> near 300W. (Though it's been a while, I may not be remembering that
>>> correctly, and I don't recall looking at it under load)
>>
>> Ok, that's not as bad as the spec sheet online looked.  The machine is
>> still too slow/old for benchmarking though, and we couldn't rack it
>> (our donated rack space is limited).  Does someone have a home for
>> this machine?  And would we use it for buildfarm, or for something else?
>>

> I'll plug it in tonight when I get home and verify those numbers.
>
> It looks like there are a bunch of sparc build farm members, would
> another really be helpful?
>
> -Andy

Yep, 300W both at idle and under load.

-Andy