WAL dump tool

From
higepon
Date:
Hi.
Is the following todo item still necessary?
 Create dump tool for write-ahead logs for use in determining
transaction id for point-in-time recovery.   This is useful for checking PITR recovery.

If so, I want to make it.
What is the expected output of the dump tool?
TransactionId, TimeLineID and ?

Best regards,

-----
MINOWA Taro (Higepon)

Cybozu Labs, Inc.

http://www.monaos.org/
http://code.google.com/p/mosh-scheme/

Re: WAL dump tool

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM, higepon <higepon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> Is the following todo item still necessary?
>
>  Create dump tool for write-ahead logs for use in determining
> transaction id for point-in-time recovery.
>    This is useful for checking PITR recovery.
>
> If so, I want to make it.
> What is the expected output of the dump tool?
> TransactionId, TimeLineID and ?

don't know if this project ever works
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer but seems like is a start (it
was made for 8.2 so you will have to adjust for 8.3 or even better
8.4)

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: WAL dump tool

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 09 May 2009 00:20:43 Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM, higepon <higepon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> > Is the following todo item still necessary?
> >
> >  Create dump tool for write-ahead logs for use in determining
> > transaction id for point-in-time recovery.
> >    This is useful for checking PITR recovery.
> >
> > If so, I want to make it.
> > What is the expected output of the dump tool?
> > TransactionId, TimeLineID and ?
>
> don't know if this project ever works
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer but seems like is a start (it
> was made for 8.2 so you will have to adjust for 8.3 or even better
> 8.4)

It did work at one point. We used it for some disaster recovery work maybe a
year or so ago. We had to update it for 8.3, and remove some linuxisms to get
it to compile for Solaris. I think it might have still had issues actually
dumping data, but it did do a good job at finding corrupted xlogs.  istr Theo
submitted a patch, but I think the author had abandoned it. Personally I'd
love to see it moved into postgresql proper (and get the cleaning/updating
that implies).

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: WAL dump tool

From
Rodrigo E. De León Plicet
Date:
On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 09 May 2009 00:20:43 Jaime Casanova wrote:
>> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM, higepon <higepon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> > Is the following todo item still necessary?
>> >
>> >  Create dump tool for write-ahead logs for use in determining
>> > transaction id for point-in-time recovery.
>> >    This is useful for checking PITR recovery.
>> >
>> > If so, I want to make it.
>> > What is the expected output of the dump tool?
>> > TransactionId, TimeLineID and ?
>>
>> don't know if this project ever works
>> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer but seems like is a start (it
>> was made for 8.2 so you will have to adjust for 8.3 or even better
>> 8.4)
>
> It did work at one point. We used it for some disaster recovery work maybe a
> year or so ago. We had to update it for 8.3, and remove some linuxisms to get
> it to compile for Solaris. I think it might have still had issues actually
> dumping data, but it did do a good job at finding corrupted xlogs.  istr Theo
> submitted a patch, but I think the author had abandoned it. Personally I'd
> love to see it moved into postgresql proper (and get the cleaning/updating
> that implies).

Would this allow functionality similar to that of LogMiner (
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/LogMinerOverview.htm
), or is it something else entirely?