Missing mapping in 8.3/tsearch2.sql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

The Tsearch2.sql compatibility fuctions in
/contrib/tsearch2/tsearch2.sql don't include an important compatibility
object.  For 8.2 Tsearch2 usage, a lot of queries were written calling
the "default" config, like:

to_tsvector('default',somedata)

In 8.3 this fails with a "No such config 'default'" error, even after
SQL generation code:

CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION public.default ( COPY =
$default_text_search_config );

Yes?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Missing mapping in 8.3/tsearch2.sql

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> The Tsearch2.sql compatibility fuctions in
> /contrib/tsearch2/tsearch2.sql don't include an important compatibility
> object.  For 8.2 Tsearch2 usage, a lot of queries were written calling
> the "default" config, like:

> to_tsvector('default',somedata)

> In 8.3 this fails with a "No such config 'default'" error, even after
> SQL generation code:

No, we should not.  It's up to the user to create a "default" config
that matches whatever they were using before.

Now, if you are volunteering to create a translation facility for the
whole contents of the old configuration tables, step right up and have
at it.  But we should *not* insert a bogus substitute configuration.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> No, we should not.  It's up to the user to create a "default" config
> that matches whatever they were using before.

Oh, good point.  I was assuming that "Default" would match the user's
default, but of course it might not.

Hmmm, this is a common enough case that it ought to be documented
somewhere though.    How about if I add an example to F.31.2. Converting
a pre-8.3 Installation ?

--

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Hmmm, this is a common enough case that it ought to be documented
> somewhere though.    How about if I add an example to F.31.2. Converting
> a pre-8.3 Installation ?

I think it already points out the need to manually convert your
configuration, but feel free to fill in some details there.  I would
have if I knew enough to explain it ...
        regards, tom lane