problem inserting in GIN index

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hi,

A guy just reported on pgsql-es-ayuda that he's getting

ERROR: item pointer (543108,2) already exists

Apparently this message only occurs on GIN, in insertItemPointer

Reading that routine I cannot help but wonder -- where is
gdi->btree.curitem incremented?

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/521014.20415.qm%40web52103.mail.re2.yahoo.com

Re: problem inserting in GIN index

Date:
> A guy just reported on pgsql-es-ayuda that he's getting
> ERROR: item pointer (543108,2) already exists
Test case?
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > A guy just reported on pgsql-es-ayuda that he's getting
> > ERROR: item pointer (543108,2) already exists
> Test case?

Apparently there's a crash involved ...

Re: problem inserting in GIN index

From
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Date:
2009/3/9 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>> > A guy just reported on pgsql-es-ayuda that he's getting
>> > ERROR: item pointer (543108,2) already exists
>> Test case?
>
> Apparently there's a crash involved ...

I asked to Gabriel. The exactly version is 8.3.6.
He just deleted the indexes :(

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

--      Emanuel Calvo Franco       Sumate al ARPUG !     (www.postgres-arg.org -        www.arpug.com.ar)   ArPUG /
AOSUGMember  Postgresql Support & Admin

Re: problem inserting in GIN index

From
Teodor Sigaev
Date:
> A guy just reported on pgsql-es-ayuda that he's getting
>
> ERROR: item pointer (543108,2) already exists
It will be fine to get test case...

> Apparently this message only occurs on GIN, in insertItemPointer
>
> Reading that routine I cannot help but wonder -- where is
> gdi->btree.curitem incremented?
At dataPlaceToPage and dataSplitPage called by ginInsertValue().

  WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Date:
> Apparently there's a crash involved ...

Are other indexes on that table broken? ( Just count(*) with only index scan
enabled )
  WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Date:
2009/3/10 Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru>:
>> Apparently there's a crash involved ...
>
> Are other indexes on that table broken? ( Just count(*) with only index scan
> enabled )
> --
> Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru
>                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Yes, there are some btree indexes broken.
Alvaro asked him if the option fsync is off.

Date:
Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:
> 2009/3/10 Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru>:
> >> Apparently there's a crash involved ...
> >
> > Are other indexes on that table broken? ( Just count(*) with only index scan
> > enabled )

> Yes, there are some btree indexes broken.
> Alvaro asked him if the option fsync is off.

We don't know whether the btree indexes are on the same table, though :-)

Since he already erased all the evidence, I don't think there's anything
to do about this for now.