age(xid) function bug

Date:
I see we recommend using the age(xid) function to check for XID
wraparound:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-WRAPAROUND

However, the function only does a subtraction with no adjustment for
overflow, and considering it returns a signed int, it can't even display
the full range of valid values:
test=> \df age                                        List of functions   Schema   | Name | Result data type |
        Argument data
types------------+------+------------------+----------------------------------------------------------...pg_catalog |
age | integer          | xid

For example:
test=> select txid_current(); txid_current--------------          397(1 row)test=> select age('10000'::xid);
age--------9602(1 row)

Seems this is a bug.  I think the fix is to do the arithmetic in int8
and return an int8.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: age(xid) function bug

Date:
> However, the function only does a subtraction with no adjustment for
> overflow, and considering it returns a signed int, it can't even display
> the full range of valid values:

Say again?  The possible range of ages is only 2 billion.
        regards, tom lane

Re: age(xid) function bug

Tom Lane wrote:
> > However, the function only does a subtraction with no adjustment for
> > overflow, and considering it returns a signed int, it can't even display
> > the full range of valid values:
>
> Say again?  The possible range of ages is only 2 billion.

If we assume that only xid stored in actual tables are used, yes:
test=> select txid_current(); txid_current--------------          402(1 row)test=> select age('4294967290'::xid);
age-----409(1 row)

OK, so it does work based on the limitations we place on stored xids.

http://enterprisedb.com