...Roll Back issue in PGSQL..

From
Deepak
Date:
valuesto another table upon inserting a value into a table. The issue is,if there is a exception(in Table 2) everything
getsrolled back including Table1.I dont want this to happen.i want the value of table1 to stay.<br /> I tried
"try....except"and introduced SAVEPOINT.But resulted in runtime error. <br /><br />Can anyone please help me out<br

Re: ...Roll Back issue in PGSQL..

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 13:10 +0530, Deepak wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to create a TRIGGER function,that populates values to
> another table upon inserting a value into a table. The issue is,if
> there is a exception(in Table 2) everything gets rolled back including
> Table1.I dont want this to happen.i want the value of table1 to stay.
> I tried "try....except" and introduced SAVEPOINT.But resulted in
> runtime error.
>
> Can anyone please help me out

The function executed by the trigger will be executed as a single
transaction. If any part fails, they all fail.

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Deepak

Re: ...Roll Back issue in PGSQL..

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 20 June 2008 12:19:03 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 13:10 +0530, Deepak wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to create a TRIGGER function,that populates values to
> > another table upon inserting a value into a table. The issue is,if
> > there is a exception(in Table 2) everything gets rolled back including
> > Table1.I dont want this to happen.i want the value of table1 to stay.
> > I tried "try....except" and introduced SAVEPOINT.But resulted in
> > runtime error.
> >
> > Can anyone please help me out
>
> The function executed by the trigger will be executed as a single
> transaction. If any part fails, they all fail.

Well, wrapping the bits of table2 in a begin....exception block would allow
him to do what he wants.

--
Robert Treat