ignore $PostgreSQL lines in regression tests?

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Recently while adding $PostgreSQL markers to a bunch of .c and .h files
I ran into trouble with the ecpg regression tests and had to revert the
change for a handful of files. However, it occurred to me that we could
have pg_regress tell diff to ignore such lines, by passing it the
arguments "-I  '\$PostgreSQL:' ", which would tell it to ignore
additions or deletions of lines matching that regex.

That would probably  also allow us to add such markers as comments in
results files, which mightn't be a bad thing either.

I'm a bit unsure how portable this is, though. Linux, Windows and OSX
should be ok, but they are the only OSs I run so I don't know about others.

Would this be a good thing to do?

cheers

andrew

Re: ignore $PostgreSQL lines in regression tests?

Date:
> Recently while adding $PostgreSQL markers to a bunch of .c and .h files
> I ran into trouble with the ecpg regression tests and had to revert the
> change for a handful of files. However, it occurred to me that we could
> have pg_regress tell diff to ignore such lines, by passing it the
> arguments "-I  '\$PostgreSQL:' ", which would tell it to ignore
> additions or deletions of lines matching that regex.

> Would this be a good thing to do?

I'm inclined to think not.  It's easy to think of scenarios where such
a switch would mask errors.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Recently while adding $PostgreSQL markers to a bunch of .c and .h files
>> I ran into trouble with the ecpg regression tests and had to revert the
>> change for a handful of files. However, it occurred to me that we could
>> have pg_regress tell diff to ignore such lines, by passing it the
>> arguments "-I  '\$PostgreSQL:' ", which would tell it to ignore
>> additions or deletions of lines matching that regex.
>>

>> Would this be a good thing to do?
>>

> I'm inclined to think not.  It's easy to think of scenarios where such
> a switch would mask errors.

OK.

cheers

andrew

Re: ignore $PostgreSQL lines in regression tests?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > Recently while adding $PostgreSQL markers to a bunch of .c and .h files
> > I ran into trouble with the ecpg regression tests and had to revert the
> > change for a handful of files. However, it occurred to me that we could
> > have pg_regress tell diff to ignore such lines, by passing it the
> > arguments "-I  '\$PostgreSQL:' ", which would tell it to ignore
> > additions or deletions of lines matching that regex.
>
> > Would this be a good thing to do?
>
> I'm inclined to think not.  It's easy to think of scenarios where such
> a switch would mask errors.

I tend to agree with this, though if people decide they want it, you
could almost certainly tighten up the regexp some to reduce the chance
of it masking things (eg: I assume a starting anchor ('^') would be
correct here, and you could almost certainly add the rest of the columns
which are included in the $Id$ format using appropriately-typed
wildcards, etc...).
Thanks,
    Stephen