Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Link postgres from all object files at once, to avoid the

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> Hm, just noticed another little annoyance: CVS is going to complain about
> the objfiles.txt files unless we add a .cvsignore entry to every last
> subdirectory of the backend.

Complain how?  Why should it complain more or less than about the SUBSYS.o
files?

--
Peter Eisentraut

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm, just noticed another little annoyance: CVS is going to complain about
>> the objfiles.txt files unless we add a .cvsignore entry to every last
>> subdirectory of the backend.

> Complain how?

Try a "cvs diff" or "cvs update" while these files are present.

> Why should it complain more or less than about the SUBSYS.o
> files?

It has a hard-wired rule not to complain about files named *.o.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
> > Why should it complain more or less than about the SUBSYS.o
> > files?
>
> It has a hard-wired rule not to complain about files named *.o.

Well, we could name the output file SUBSYS.o if that is not too confusing. :)

--
Peter Eisentraut

> Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
>>> Why should it complain more or less than about the SUBSYS.o
>>> files?
>>
>> It has a hard-wired rule not to complain about files named *.o.

> Well, we could name the output file SUBSYS.o if that is not too confusing. :)

Yeah, it probably is.  D'Arcy's suggestion of modifying our
CVSROOT/cvsignore file seems better.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Link postgres from all object files at once, to avoid the

From
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:

>>> It has a hard-wired rule not to complain about files named *.o.
>>>

>> Well, we could name the output file SUBSYS.o if that is not too confusing. :)
>>

> Yeah, it probably is.  D'Arcy's suggestion of modifying our
> CVSROOT/cvsignore file seems better.

+1. Calling it something like foo.o when it isn't an object file would
be horrible. This should be a simple one-off operation.

cheers

andrew