Indiana changes DST (4th Nov)

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
There are a lot of incoming DST or TZ changes (Venezuela, Brazil,
Indiana...). Most hot is Indiana which will happen at 4th Nov.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_usa02.html

Is there any schedule to release new minor versions? It seems that new
Olson database is in CVS repository and 8.3beta1 contains these changes.

    Zdenek

Re: Indiana changes DST (4th Nov)

Date:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> There are a lot of incoming DST or TZ changes (Venezuela, Brazil,
> Indiana...). Most hot is Indiana which will happen at 4th Nov.
>
> http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_usa02.html
>
> Is there any schedule to release new minor versions? It seems that new
> Olson database is in CVS repository and 8.3beta1 contains these changes.

Did you see Postgres release 8.2.5, released 2007-09-17?

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Indiana changes DST (4th Nov)

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Zdenek Kotala" <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:

> There are a lot of incoming DST or TZ changes (Venezuela, Brazil, Indiana...).
> Most hot is Indiana which will happen at 4th Nov.

Indiana is moving a few counties from one side of the line to another. The
rules for the zones themselves aren't changing, so I'm not sure we can do
anything to help them.

Actually that's kind of weird, it means any timestamps in your database will
display with the new timezone even though they occurred in the old one. And if
you do time arithmetic with things like now() - '7 days' you'll get the output
in the wrong timezone.

Does the database acquire new timezones for these counties with the rule for
when they changed?

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> There are a lot of incoming DST or TZ changes (Venezuela, Brazil,
>> Indiana...). Most hot is Indiana which will happen at 4th Nov.
>>
>> http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_usa02.html
>>
>> Is there any schedule to release new minor versions? It seems that new
>> Olson database is in CVS repository and 8.3beta1 contains these changes.
>
> Did you see Postgres release 8.2.5, released 2007-09-17?

You have right. I overlooked correct tag in CVS repository. It contains
correct version.

Can we put more info to the release notes? For example

- Timezone database was updated to tzdata2007h

also add this actual version info into src/timezone/README should help.

There is only mention about New Zealand and is difficult to find this
information.
    Thanks Zdenek

Re: Indiana changes DST (4th Nov)

Date:
> Does the database acquire new timezones for these counties with the rule for
> when they changed?

Historically that's been what the zic folks did anytime a region that
had been all one timezone rule diverged.  I can't see any indication
in the current northamerica file of a change that first takes effect
this fall, though.  It does reflect changes of this sort in Indiana
that took effect last fall and this spring ... all of which were
already in our last releases.
        regards, tom lane