pl/pgsql function result cache

From
Peter Manchev
Date:
I was thinking about pl/pgsql and comparing it with pl/sql function result cache, featured in Oracle 11g - see
http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/07-sep/o57plsql.html<br/><br />Is it possible to get pl/pgsql function
WindowsVista <a href="http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=windows+vista&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE"
target="_new">Learnmore!</a>

Re: pl/pgsql function result cache

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Peter Manchev wrote:
> I was thinking about pl/pgsql and comparing it with pl/sql function
> result cache, featured in Oracle 11g - see
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/07-sep/o57plsql.html
>
> Is it possible to get pl/pgsql function result cache functionality
> into PostgreSQL real soon?

Well it's unlikely to be "real soon" since 8.3 is currently approaching
beta-test.

Surely memcached+pgmemcache does basically this anyway, except:
- it's not restricted to function outputs
- you can cache application objects
- you can spread your cache across multiple machines

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: pl/pgsql function result cache

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Richard,

> Surely memcached+pgmemcache does basically this anyway, except:
> - it's not restricted to function outputs
> - you can cache application objects
> - you can spread your cache across multiple machines

Sure, but using memcached is far from automatic ... you'd have to roll your
own scheme for caching previously called functions, and there would be no way
to make it performant for iterative execution due to needing to make a
pgmemcached call to check for cached results with each execution.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun