pg_ctl configurable timeout

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I'm having trouble with the hardcoded 60 second timeout in pg_ctl.  pg_ctl
sometimes just times out and there is no way to make it wait a little longer.
I would like to add an option to be able to change that, say
pg_ctl -w --timeout=120.  Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the hardcoded 60 second timeout in pg_ctl.  pg_ctl
> sometimes just times out and there is no way to make it wait a little longer.
> I would like to add an option to be able to change that, say
> pg_ctl -w --timeout=120.  Comments?

+1

I played with 2GB shared buffers and stop action takes 10-20s. On system
with more memory 60s is not enough.

Zdenek

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I'm having trouble with the hardcoded 60 second timeout in pg_ctl.
>>> pg_ctl sometimes just times out and there is no way to make it wait a
>>> little longer.  I would like to add an option to be able to change
>>> that, say pg_ctl -w --timeout=120.  Comments?
>> +1
>>
>> I played with 2GB shared buffers and stop action takes 10-20s. On system
>> with more memory 60s is not enough.
>
> Huh? I have never seen this problem.

It happened when I stop server after heavy performance test. I expected
that postgres tries to check if there is not some dirty page in the
buffer, but I did not investigate in it.
    Zdenek

Date:
Am Freitag, 17. August 2007 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> I'm having trouble with the hardcoded 60 second timeout in pg_ctl.  pg_ctl
> sometimes just times out and there is no way to make it wait a little
> longer. I would like to add an option to be able to change that, say
> pg_ctl -w --timeout=120.  Comments?

Lost track of this, but it keeps biting me.

Somehow, the 60 second timeout seems completely arbitrary anyway.  Maybe we
should remove it altogether.  We could add an option as described above, but
then the packager who creates the init script or whoever creates the initial
configuration will have to make an equally arbitrary choice.  And most likely
you will not notice that your configuration is insufficient until you are
really in a bind.

What should we do?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

From
"Dave Page"

We need the option on Windows to prevent dependent services being started too quickly.

The same problem occurs there with pg_ctl reporting it's status to the service control manager. The scm interface
handlesthis by having the service regularly increment a variable, and if required, updating the estimated startup time.
Asimilar architecture might be feasible if we had the postmaster signal pg_ctl periodically until started at which
pointa different signal is sent. We then only timeout if no pulse or started signal is received within X seconds.

Regards, Dave

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 17. August 2007 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> > I'm having trouble with the hardcoded 60 second timeout in pg_ctl.  pg_ctl
> > sometimes just times out and there is no way to make it wait a little
> > longer. I would like to add an option to be able to change that, say
> > pg_ctl -w --timeout=120.  Comments?
>
> Lost track of this, but it keeps biting me.
>
> Somehow, the 60 second timeout seems completely arbitrary anyway.  Maybe we
> should remove it altogether.  We could add an option as described above, but
> then the packager who creates the init script or whoever creates the initial
> configuration will have to make an equally arbitrary choice.  And most likely
> you will not notice that your configuration is insufficient until you are
> really in a bind.
>
> What should we do?

How about an environment variable to control the timeout?  Is that
cleaner?

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

Date:
> Somehow, the 60 second timeout seems completely arbitrary anyway.  Maybe we
> should remove it altogether.  We could add an option as described above, but
> then the packager who creates the init script or whoever creates the initial
> configuration will have to make an equally arbitrary choice.

Yeah.  One problem is that we use the same timeout for startup and
shutdown, which really are entirely different; and the other problem
is that we've not wanted pg_ctl to have too many smarts about the
server's internal behavior.

On startup, it would be reasonable to assume failure if we don't see
a postmaster pid-file appear PDQ, but then after that it might stay
in the "database is starting up" state for a long time (maybe even
indefinitely if it's a warm standby server).  Still, you could argue
that it's reasonable to keep waiting as long as the postmaster keeps
returning "database is starting up" when pinged.

On shutdown, it'd be reasonable to expect that the postmaster starts
returning "database is shutting down" almost immediately, and to report
failure if not.  However, if it was a default "smart mode" stop you
could again wait indefinitely for clients to decide to give up their
sessions.  I'm not sure if it's sane for pg_ctl to wait indefinitely
in that scenario.

I agree that just pushing the choice of timeout onto the user's
shoulders wouldn't be much of an improvement.  He can always hit ^C
if he gets tired of waiting.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

From
Andrew Dunstan

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> How about an environment variable to control the timeout?  Is that
> cleaner?

I don't see why it should be. I think Peter's --timeout suggestion
should be just fine.

cheers

andrtew

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 17. August 2007 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> > I'm having trouble with the hardcoded 60 second timeout in pg_ctl.  pg_ctl
> > sometimes just times out and there is no way to make it wait a little
> > longer. I would like to add an option to be able to change that, say
> > pg_ctl -w --timeout=120.  Comments?
>
> Lost track of this, but it keeps biting me.
>
> Somehow, the 60 second timeout seems completely arbitrary anyway.  Maybe we
> should remove it altogether.  We could add an option as described above, but
> then the packager who creates the init script or whoever creates the initial
> configuration will have to make an equally arbitrary choice.  And most likely
> you will not notice that your configuration is insufficient until you are
> really in a bind.
>
> What should we do?

I think the mythical pg_ping utility should be written.  It seems the
easiest way out of the problem.

Maybe hack the postmaster to have a new special connection mode which
keeps the connection open until the startup process exits, to avoid
polling continuously (ideally report progress too, if at all possible).

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
Y dijo Dios: "Que sea Satanás, para que la gente no me culpe de todo a mí."

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> How about an environment variable to control the timeout?  Is that
>> cleaner?

> I don't see why it should be. I think Peter's --timeout suggestion
> should be just fine.

I wrote a moment ago that the user can hit control-C when he gets bored,
but that argument only works for interactive use of pg_ctl.  In a script
I think you'd want a --timeout option.  I don't see the advantage of
an environment variable in either scenario.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

Date:
> I think the mythical pg_ping utility should be written.  It seems the
> easiest way out of the problem.

If pg_ctl were still a shell script there would be some point in that,
but since it's a C program it can certainly do anything a separate
utility would do.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 17:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Maybe hack the postmaster to have a new special connection mode which
> keeps the connection open until the startup process exits, to avoid
> polling continuously (ideally report progress too, if at all
> possible).

That sounds good to me. The spurious connection messages look weird and
its difficult to say that's one of the ERRORs that isn't an error. There
has to be a way for pg_ctl to ask whether the server is still starting
up without causing a message every second in the server log.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think the mythical pg_ping utility should be written.  It seems the
> > easiest way out of the problem.
>
> If pg_ctl were still a shell script there would be some point in that,
> but since it's a C program it can certainly do anything a separate
> utility would do.

Well, pg_ctl would not be the only user of such an utility.  Things like
(say) control panels for shared hosting could benefit from it as well.
As would system health monitors.

Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

Date:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>> I think the mythical pg_ping utility should be written.  It seems the
>>> easiest way out of the problem.
>>
>> If pg_ctl were still a shell script there would be some point in that,
>> but since it's a C program it can certainly do anything a separate
>> utility would do.

> Well, pg_ctl would not be the only user of such an utility.  Things like
> (say) control panels for shared hosting could benefit from it as well.
> As would system health monitors.

I still see no point in creating a separate binary for the
functionality.  If you want to make it available to shell scripts,
invent a "pg_ctl ping" subcommand.
        regards, tom lane