Function structure in formatting.c

From
"Brendan Jurd"
Date:
Hi hackers,

I'm currently poking around in backend/utils/adt/formatting.c with a
view to improving  to_date() parsing (see thread at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-07/msg00513.php),
and I've noticed that the way the functions are organised is pretty
weird.

The original author appears to have gone to great lengths to make the
various functions work both for conversions *to* string, and *from*
string.  For each formatting "keyword" (DD, MM, etc), there is just
one processing function; dch_global, dch_date or dch_time.  Each of
these takes an argument called "is_to_char".  Since parsing a date out
of a string, and formatting a date into a string, are fundamentally
different objectives the functions end up reading a lot like this:

if (is_to_char)
{   // do something
}
else
{   // do something completely different
}

In fact, almost all of the actual formatting code in the file is
enclosed in one of these if .. else blocks.

To my mind, it would make a lot more sense (and make hacking the file
a lot easier) if the processing functions were split into to_char and
from_char variants.  I'm not sure what, if any, advantage is gleaned
by having these functions combined.

I'd like to hear from someone who has more familiarity with
formatting.c on this.  Is there some good reason for keeping the
functions unified?

Obviously there's a fair bit of work in splitting the functions up,
but I'd be willing to do it if only to spare my own sanity when
working on to_date parsing.

Re: Function structure in formatting.c

Date:
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> To my mind, it would make a lot more sense (and make hacking the file
> a lot easier) if the processing functions were split into to_char and
> from_char variants.  I'm not sure what, if any, advantage is gleaned
> by having these functions combined.

Yeah, I never liked that approach either.  I suppose the idea was to
keep the to- and from- code for each format code close together, but
it blurs what's going on to a much greater extent than that's worth.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> > To my mind, it would make a lot more sense (and make hacking the file
> > a lot easier) if the processing functions were split into to_char and
> > from_char variants.  I'm not sure what, if any, advantage is gleaned
> > by having these functions combined.
>
> Yeah, I never liked that approach either.  I suppose the idea was to
> keep the to- and from- code for each format code close together, but
> it blurs what's going on to a much greater extent than that's worth.

Okay, I'll see what I can do.

Incidentally, anybody know what DCH is supposed to stand for?
Throughout the code DCH is used to refer to date/time formatting and
NUM to numeric formatting.  Just curious.

Re: Function structure in formatting.c

From
"Brendan Jurd"
Date:
Just quick update on this.  It turns out (as it always does) that I
want to refactor a bit more intensively than I first suggested.

The functions dch_global, dch_time and dch_date seem to be wholly
pointless, since dch_global is effectively a one-liner for the FX
flag, and the other two merely wrap around a giant switch statement.

My thought was to split DCH_processor into a to_char flavour and a
from_char flavour, and have those functions do all the work; loop
through each of the FormatNodes and run the giant switch statement.

This means there is no need to put pointers to "action functions" in
each of the KeyWords.  It makes the code simpler, more readable -- and
considerably shorter.

A patch will be on the way shortly.

Re: Function structure in formatting.c

From
"Jaime Casanova"
Date:
On 8/9/07, Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just quick update on this.  It turns out (as it always does) that I
> want to refactor a bit more intensively than I first suggested.

[...]
> This means there is no need to put pointers to "action functions" in
> each of the KeyWords.  It makes the code simpler, more readable -- and
> considerably shorter.
>
> A patch will be on the way shortly.

take your time, this seems like it will be for 8.4 anyway

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."                                      Richard Cook

Date:
On 8/9/07, Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> wrote:

> take your time, this seems like it will be for 8.4 anyway

I hear you, unfortunately "taking my time" usually means I forget
about it for eight months and by the time I come back to it I've
forgotten what I was doing =)

I wasn't really expecting this to make it into 8.3.  I just need to
get it done so I can free up the headspace for other projects.