non-blocking CREATE INDEX in 8.2??

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
According to http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix,
8.2 has non-blocking CREATE INDEX, which is news to me. Is it correct?

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Feature_Matrix&oldid=1734
is the version where that was added (very early in the history of the
page).
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org

Re: non-blocking CREATE INDEX in 8.2??

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> According to http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix,
> 8.2 has non-blocking CREATE INDEX, which is news to me. Is it correct?

CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

:)

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: non-blocking CREATE INDEX in 8.2??

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 15:38 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> According to http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix,
> 8.2 has non-blocking CREATE INDEX, which is news to me. Is it correct?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-createindex.html

See the CONCURRENTLY clause.

-Neil

Date:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:45:18PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >According to http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix,
> >8.2 has non-blocking CREATE INDEX, which is news to me. Is it correct?
>
> CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

Well, I guess it's a good thing someone created that cheat-sheet, 'cause
I can't keep which feature went into what version straight anymore. :)
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org

Re: non-blocking CREATE INDEX in 8.2??

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:45:18PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>>> According to http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix,
>>> 8.2 has non-blocking CREATE INDEX, which is news to me. Is it correct?
>> CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
>
> Well, I guess it's a good thing someone created that cheat-sheet, 'cause
> I can't keep which feature went into what version straight anymore. :)

glad that you like it :-) - but keep in mind that it clearly states that
this is page is still very much an experiment.
There is a lot of stuff still missing and it might as well contain a
number of inaccuracies too - so take everything there with a grain of
salt ...

Stefan

Re: non-blocking CREATE INDEX in 8.2??

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Jim C. Nasby a écrit :
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:45:18PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>>> According to http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix,
>>> 8.2 has non-blocking CREATE INDEX, which is news to me. Is it correct?
>> CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
>
> Well, I guess it's a good thing someone created that cheat-sheet, 'cause
> I can't keep which feature went into what version straight anymore. :)

+1

I will try to add on my todo list to proofread and enhance this. Thanks
for this page, Stefan.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.