So, why isn't *every* buildfarm member failing ecpg right now?

Date:
AFAICS, Peter's recent incomplete updating of error message wording
should have broken every last man jack of 'em.  And yet there's still
some green to be seen.  I think we are looking at problems in the ecpg
test scaffolding.  For instance, dragonfly claims a green build, but
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=dragonfly&dt=2007-06-04%20043001&stg=ecpg-check
shows this interesting trace:

============== running regression test queries        ==============

/export/home/pgfarm/gcc/HEAD/pgsql.28740/src/interfaces/ecpg/test/./tmp_check/install//export/home/pgfarm/gcc/HEAD/inst/bin/createuser
-R-S -D -q regressuser1

/export/home/pgfarm/gcc/HEAD/pgsql.28740/src/interfaces/ecpg/test/./tmp_check/install//export/home/pgfarm/gcc/HEAD/inst/bin/createuser
-R-S -D -q connectuser

/export/home/pgfarm/gcc/HEAD/pgsql.28740/src/interfaces/ecpg/test/./tmp_check/install//export/home/pgfarm/gcc/HEAD/inst/bin/createuser
-R-S -D -q connectdb

testing connect/test1.pgc                      ... skipped
testing connect/test2.pgc                      ... ./pg_regress: bad substitution
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/pgfarm/gcc/HEAD/pgsql.28740/src/interfaces/ecpg/test'

which says that (a) we have a scripting bug, and (b) some other layer is
failing to notice the failure.  Which is two separate bugs by my count.
        regards, tom lane

Re: So, why isn't *every* buildfarm member failing ecpg right now?

From
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAICS, Peter's recent incomplete updating of error message wording
> should have broken every last man jack of 'em.  And yet there's still
> some green to be seen.  I think we are looking at problems in the ecpg
> test scaffolding.

Yes. The buildfarm script uses the same logic as other tests:
my $ecpg_dir = "$pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg";my @makeout = `cd  $ecpg_dir && $make NO_LOCALE=1 check 2>&1`;my $status =
$?>>8;

The sooner we move to a more unified testing infrastructure the better.

cheers

andrew

Re: So, why isn't *every* buildfarm member failing ecpg right now?

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:30:07AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAICS, Peter's recent incomplete updating of error message wording
> should have broken every last man jack of 'em.  And yet there's still
> some green to be seen.  I think we are looking at problems in the ecpg
> test scaffolding.  For instance, dragonfly claims a green build, but
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=dragonfly&dt=2007-06-04%20043001&stg=ecpg-check
> shows this interesting trace:
> testing connect/test2.pgc                      ... ./pg_regress: bad substitution

Is it possible to find out which line is reporting this error? Looks to
me like some incompatibility on the shell side.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes

Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:30:07AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> AFAICS, Peter's recent incomplete updating of error message wording
>> should have broken every last man jack of 'em.  And yet there's still
>> some green to be seen.  I think we are looking at problems in the ecpg
>> test scaffolding.  For instance, dragonfly claims a green build, but
>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=dragonfly&dt=2007-06-04%20043001&stg=ecpg-check
>> shows this interesting trace:
>> testing connect/test2.pgc                      ... ./pg_regress: bad substitution
>>

> Is it possible to find out which line is reporting this error? Looks to
> me like some incompatibility on the shell side.

turnip_moth is also a Solaris 9 box and doesn't seem have the same issue.

Kris, is there anything unusual installed on the box that would make it
behave like this?

cheers

andrew

Re: So, why isn't *every* buildfarm member failing ecpg right now?

From
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> turnip_moth is also a Solaris 9 box and doesn't seem have the same issue.
>
> Kris, is there anything unusual installed on the box that would make it
> behave like this?

Not sure what's going on here.  I did a manual run of the ecpg tests and
it completed normally.  This machine is quite out of date and it has a
large mix of GNU tools with the solaris ones.  Since turnip_moth is
maintained by Sun I would expect it to be up to date on patches and have
few non-Sun tools installed.  So it could be using a different interpreter
or it could be using a broken tool for which a patch has been released.
I'll try doing a run with the buildfarm client later today to try and
reproduce this.

Kris Jurka

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> turnip_moth is also a Solaris 9 box and doesn't seem have the same issue.
>>
>> Kris, is there anything unusual installed on the box that would make it
>> behave like this?
>>

> Not sure what's going on here.  I did a manual run of the ecpg tests and it
> completed normally.  This machine is quite out of date and it has a large mix
> of GNU tools with the solaris ones.  Since turnip_moth is maintained by Sun I
> would expect it to be up to date on patches and have few non-Sun tools
> installed.  So it could be using a different interpreter or it could be using
> a broken tool for which a patch has been released. I'll try doing a run with
> the buildfarm client later today to try and reproduce this.

Running ecpg's pg_regress script with -x yields:

+ cp connect/test2.c results/connect-test2.c
+ connect/test2
+ mv results/connect-test2.c results/connect-test2.c.tmp
+ cat results/connect-test2.c.tmp
+ rm results/connect-test2.c.tmp
+ [ yes = yes ]
./pg_regress: bad substitution

So it looks like it's bailing on this line:
   if [ "$enable_threading" = yes ] && [ "${i%%/*}" = "thread" ]; then

and it doesn't like the ${i%%/*} construct.  Still not sure why it happens
some places and not others.

Kris Jurka