Feature lists for 8.3 and 8.4

From
"Abraham, Danny"
Date:
Hi,

I am  migrating from Sybase to Postgres.

trying to get a hold on the issue of future releases feature list.

1. Where can I find the feature list for 8.3 ? When is it expected?
2. And for 8.4?
3. Who is the guy to ask about a feature like "startup migrate" in ORACLE?

Thanks

Danny

Re: Feature lists for 8.3 and 8.4

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Abraham, Danny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am  migrating from Sybase to Postgres.
>
> trying to get a hold on the issue of future releases feature list.
>
> 1. Where can I find the feature list for 8.3 ? When is it expected?
> 2. And for 8.4?

There are various places to look for this kind of information, but
probably the easiest to digest is looking at the todo lists on the wiki:
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:Contents

regards,
Lukas

PS: Since this is a fairly new effort, if you have any hints on how to
improve things, let us know.

Re: Feature lists for 8.3 and 8.4

From
Andrew Hammond
Date:
On May 8, 7:16 am, danny_abra...@bmc.com ("Abraham, Danny") wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am  migrating from Sybase to Postgres.

> 3. Who is the guy to ask about a feature like "startup migrate" in ORACLE?

You could check out EnterpriseDB, which is based on Postgres and
provides an Oracle compatibility layer. That gives you room to breath
while you migrate to a PostgreSQL native implementation. I've never
used it, but I hear good things.

Andrew

Re: Feature lists for 8.3 and 8.4

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 17:16 +0300, Abraham, Danny wrote:

> I am  migrating from Sybase to Postgres.
>
> trying to get a hold on the issue of future releases feature list.
>
> 1. Where can I find the feature list for 8.3 ? When is it expected?
> 2. And for 8.4?
> 3. Who is the guy to ask about a feature like "startup migrate" in ORACLE?

There is some planning done for each release, though reacting to
requirements is also a large part of how things work here.

What do you need?

In-place upgrades are possible, but only when the on-disk format stays
the same. It is set to change for 8.3

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com