How to hidde the column from the user

From
"rupesh bajaj"
Date:
Hi,<br />I want to add a column in the table and also want to hidde that column from the user. So that user's normal
insertionand update goes on (means user will not supply the value for my hidden column). Is there any way to hidde the
columnfrom the user. I tried to make my column (attisdropped setting as true). So now that column is hide from the user
butnow that column will be sometime deleted by postgres. But i do not want that my column should be deleted. Is there

Re: How to hidde the column from the user

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
rupesh bajaj wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to add a column in the table and also want to hidde that column from
> the user. So that user's normal insertion and update goes on (means user
> will not supply the value for my hidden column). Is there any way to hidde
> the column from the user. I tried to make my column (attisdropped
> setting as
> true). So now that column is hide from the user but now that column will be
> sometime deleted by postgres. But i do not want that my column should be
> deleted. Is there any way for doing this. Or can you suggest some better
> way
> for this.

You should ask usage questions on pgsql-general to get more informative

Create a view on top of the table that hides the column.

Re: How to hidde the column from the user

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 03:09:17PM +0530, rupesh bajaj wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to add a column in the table and also want to hidde that column from
> the user. So that user's normal insertion and update goes on (means user
> will not supply the value for my hidden column). Is there any way to hidde
> the column from the user. I tried to make my column (attisdropped setting as
> true). So now that column is hide from the user but now that column will be
> sometime deleted by postgres. But i do not want that my column should be
> deleted. Is there any way for doing this. Or can you suggest some better way
> for this.

Make it a view on a real table and revoke access permissions on the
real table?

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: How to hidde the column from the user

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 1 May 2007, rupesh bajaj wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to add a column in the table and also want to hidde that column from
> the user. So that user's normal insertion and update goes on (means user
> will not supply the value for my hidden column). Is there any way to hidde
> the column from the user. I tried to make my column (attisdropped setting as
> true). So now that column is hide from the user but now that column will be
> sometime deleted by postgres. But i do not want that my column should be
> deleted. Is there any way for doing this. Or can you suggest some better way
> for this.

Let user work with view public.table_view, which is a view of
backend.table.

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83