Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

Date:
Here is a surprising article about how Oracle has made open source
projects, like PostgreSQL, safe from claims of infringing Oracle
patents:
http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=A0F5F220-5940-470D-8564-CEA7E2D2B954. Oracle, like IBM, Sony, RedHat,
andNovell, is now a member of

Oracle, like IBM, Sony, RedHat, and Novell, is now a member of the Open
Invention Network, whose members all offer patent indemnification.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Oracle, like IBM, Sony, RedHat, and Novell, is now a member of the Open
> Invention Network, whose members all offer patent indemnification.

Hey!  We could go back to using ARC!

;-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Bruce,

This is big news - has anyone checked to see if the agreement for the OIN is
in perpetuity?  Or is their agreement to not pursue patents only for as long
as they are members?

- Luke

On 3/30/07 10:43 AM, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> Here is a surprising article about how Oracle has made open source
> projects, like PostgreSQL, safe from claims of infringing Oracle
> patents:
>
> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=A0F5F220-5940-470D-8564-CEA7E2D
> 2B954. Oracle, like IBM, Sony, RedHat, and Novell, is now a member of
>
> Oracle, like IBM, Sony, RedHat, and Novell, is now a member of the Open
> Invention Network, whose members all offer patent indemnification.

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> This is big news - has anyone checked to see if the agreement for the OIN is
> in perpetuity?  Or is their agreement to not pursue patents only for as long
> as they are members?

I'm sure they would be estopped from enforcing a patent against someone
who relied on the assurance while they were a member, so I doubt this
distinction matters. Otherwise it becomes worthless.

cheers

andrew

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> This is big news - has anyone checked to see if the agreement for the
>> OIN is
>> in perpetuity?  Or is their agreement to not pursue patents only for
>> as long
>> as they are members?
>>

> I'm sure they would be estopped from enforcing a patent against someone
> who relied on the assurance while they were a member, so I doubt this
> distinction matters. Otherwise it becomes worthless.

Either way, we should consider, not considering that this is actually
news. Let us not be enticed by the opportunity that likely has strings
attached.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> This is big news - has anyone checked to see if the agreement for the OIN is
> in perpetuity?  Or is their agreement to not pursue patents only for as long
> as they are members?

I would be worried if I were you (or Joshua Drake for that matter): does
the agreement apply to commercial companies deriving products from
PostgreSQL as well?  Note that in the case of most projects, which are
licensed under the GNU GPL, this is not an issue, because any derivative
must also be GNU GPL.

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> This is big news - has anyone checked to see if the agreement for the OIN is
>> in perpetuity?  Or is their agreement to not pursue patents only for as long
>> as they are members?
>
> I would be worried if I were you (or Joshua Drake for that matter): does
> the agreement apply to commercial companies deriving products from
> PostgreSQL as well?  Note that in the case of most projects, which are
> licensed under the GNU GPL, this is not an issue, because any derivative
> must also be GNU GPL.

If Oracle truly (or IBM etc..) really was interested in "Protecting
Linux" or other FOSS software, they would put the patent in the public
domain.

The PostgreSQL project should not give any credence to these
announcements and should avoid all patent issues possible.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
> If Oracle truly (or IBM etc..) really was interested in "Protecting
> Linux" or other FOSS software, they would put the patent in the public
> domain.

No, you miss the point of OIN.  Doing the above might make FOSS
developers free from the particular patent, but it would do nothing
to defend against the vast sea of other patents out there.

The idea of OIN is to have a large patent pool that can be
counter-asserted against anyone who doesn't want to play nice.
Mutual assured destruction in the patent sphere, if you will.

According to the cited article, Oracle hasn't donated any of their
patents to the pool (if they had, that *would* be impressive) but
they have cross-licensed their patents with those held by OIN,
ie, they've promised to play nice.

I tend to agree that we shouldn't trust Oracle further than we can
throw them, so I'm not about to go out and start looking for Oracle
patents we could use, but this does seem to remove the threat of
being blindsided from that quarter.  Now we just have to worry about
Microsoft ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

Date:
> I would be worried if I were you (or Joshua Drake for that matter): does
> the agreement apply to commercial companies deriving products from
> PostgreSQL as well?

Interesting point.  It's doubtless unwise to take this press release as
being an accurate guide to the terms of the license, but what it says
is

: According to the terms of the OIN license, the components covered by
: the agreement include not only the Linux kernel and associated GNU
: applications, but also other open source projects included in Linux
: distributions.

which to me says you're covered as long as your code is commonly
included in Linux distributions.  Hence, proprietary derivatives
would *not* be covered.  I'd guess that Oracle would have a hard
time suing for any patent violation embedded in the freely
distributed Postgres code, but any technique appearing only in
the proprietary extension would still be at risk.

IANAL, etc.  I assume that EDB and Greenplum will have their
lawyers scrutinizing this deal on Monday morning ;-) ... I'd
be interested to hear what the experts' conclusion is.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
butagain I wonder what the duration/persistence of Oracle's committment is?<br /><br /> I think I will ask our lawyers
/>From:   Tom Lane [<a href="mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us">mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us</a>]<br /> Sent:   Saturday, March 31,
200702:55 PM Eastern Standard Time<br /> To:     Alvaro Herrera<br /> Cc:     Luke Lonergan; Bruce Momjian;
AlvaroHerrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:<br /> > I would be worried if I were you (or Joshua Drake
forthat matter): does<br /> > the agreement apply to commercial companies deriving products from<br /> >
license,the components covered by<br /> : the agreement include not only the Linux kernel and associated GNU<br /> :
you'recovered as long as your code is commonly<br /> included in Linux distributions.  Hence, proprietary
derivatives<br/> would *not* be covered.  I'd guess that Oracle would have a hard<br /> time suing for any patent
violationembedded in the freely<br /> distributed Postgres code, but any technique appearing only in<br /> the
proprietaryextension would still be at risk.<br /><br /> IANAL, etc.  I assume that EDB and Greenplum will have
their<br/> lawyers scrutinizing this deal on Monday morning ;-) ... I'd<br /> be interested to hear what the experts'

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen"
Date:
On Sun, April 1, 2007 01:32, Tom Lane wrote:

> The idea of OIN is to have a large patent pool that can be
> counter-asserted against anyone who doesn't want to play nice.
> Mutual assured destruction in the patent sphere, if you will.

And from the participants' point of view, I suppose the big attraction
must be that they do away with a threat to their patents.  If you have a
patent that matches what some open project (not worth suing) has been
doing for the past few years, then anyone else you might want to sue about
the patent could point to that project and say "if you have a valid
patent, why didn't you say something when they infringed it?"

Jeroen

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

Date:
Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:
> On Sun, April 1, 2007 01:32, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > The idea of OIN is to have a large patent pool that can be
> > counter-asserted against anyone who doesn't want to play nice.
> > Mutual assured destruction in the patent sphere, if you will.
>
> And from the participants' point of view, I suppose the big attraction
> must be that they do away with a threat to their patents.  If you have a
> patent that matches what some open project (not worth suing) has been
> doing for the past few years, then anyone else you might want to sue about
> the patent could point to that project and say "if you have a valid
> patent, why didn't you say something when they infringed it?"

You can be as selective as you want about enforcing patents ---
copyright/trademark enforcement does require consistent enforcement.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> You can be as selective as you want about enforcing patents ---
> copyright/trademark enforcement does require consistent enforcement.

I'm not sure that's the case, actually.  Of course, I'm not an attorney ...
but then, neither are you.

What is it about -hackers that people love to speculate about code they don't
understand (law)?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
Date:
what can't be purchased and silenced, should be killed with rain of law suits.
Microsoft does it, novell does it, sco does it, and oracle too.

Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Josh,

On 3/31/07 11:01 AM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> The PostgreSQL project should not give any credence to these
> announcements and should avoid all patent issues possible.

I think that's appropriate - the structure of the OIN looks like it's:
1) focused on Linux
2) designed to foster a patent pool of contributed patents

The license agreement isn't available online, so there's little to review.
What's more - the press release is vague enough that we're not sure if they
signed the same agreement everyone signed or if they made changes to the
agreement.  In any case, I'm not sure what this really means.

Perhaps someone from OIN can enlighten us.

- Luke