error in cvs head: bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5

From
Jeremy Drake
Date:
The attached sql file creates some table infrastructure and then tries to
explain a query.  I get the following error on CVS HEAD:

psql:bogus_varattno_error.sql:23: ERROR:  bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5

In my real data, when I attempt to run the query I get the error:
ERROR:  invalid attribute number 5

But in the test setup it just returns an empty set.

Any ideas what is causing this?  Is it my query, or is something broken
somewhere?  I tend to think the latter, since this error message does not
feel like one that a user would get and be expected to know what to do
with...

--
If God had intended Man to Watch TV, He would have given him Rabbit
Ears.

Re: error in cvs head: bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5

Date:
Jeremy Drake <pgsql@jdrake.com> writes:
> psql:bogus_varattno_error.sql:23: ERROR:  bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5

> Any ideas what is causing this?

This looks pretty nearly related to stuff I've been hacking on recently,
so I suppose I broke something :-(.  Will take a closer look tomorrow.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeremy Drake <pgsql@jdrake.com> writes:
> > psql:bogus_varattno_error.sql:23: ERROR:  bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5
>
> > Any ideas what is causing this?
>
> This looks pretty nearly related to stuff I've been hacking on recently,
> so I suppose I broke something :-(.  Will take a closer look tomorrow.

This should help.  I managed to whiddle the example down even further.

CREATE TABLE a ( a_a text
);
CREATE TABLE b ( b_a text
);

CREATE TABLE b_chld () INHERITS (b);

EXPLAIN SELECT a_a FROM a LEFT JOIN b ON a_a = lower(b_a);

Results in:
ERROR:  bogus varattno for OUTER var: 2

The function call and the inheritance are both required, remove either and
it works fine.

--
This is the ____LAST time I take travel suggestions from Ray Bradbury!

Re: error in cvs head: bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5

Date:
Jeremy Drake <pgsql@jdrake.com> writes:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This looks pretty nearly related to stuff I've been hacking on recently,
>> so I suppose I broke something :-(.  Will take a closer look tomorrow.

> This should help.  I managed to whiddle the example down even further.

Pure brain fade :-(.  Fix committed.
        regards, tom lane