select from sequences

From
"Jaime Casanova"
Date:
Hi,

just for curiosity, why the code doesn't throw an error when using
sequences in the from_list of a select?

allow selects from sequences confuses many people about the correct
way of using sequences

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."                                      Richard Cook

Re: select from sequences

Date:
"Jaime Casanova" <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:
> just for curiosity, why the code doesn't throw an error when using
> sequences in the from_list of a select?

That's a feature, not a bug.
        regards, tom lane

Re: select from sequences

From
"Jaime Casanova"
Date:
> "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:
> > just for curiosity, why the code doesn't throw an error when using
> > sequences in the from_list of a select?
>
> That's a feature, not a bug.

and why is this a feature? i mean, what real use it has?

--

Date:
"Jaime Casanova" <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:
> and why is this a feature? i mean, what real use it has?

To find out the parameters of an existing sequence.  Remove it and
you'll break pg_dump, to say nothing of any other application.
        regards, tom lane

Re: select from sequences

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On 2/11/07, Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:
> > > just for curiosity, why the code doesn't throw an error when using
> > > sequences in the from_list of a select?
> >
> > That's a feature, not a bug.
> >

> and why is this a feature? i mean, what real use it has?

I use it all the time.  You can query the sequence for its last value
without using it first.  This is a lot more useful than it appears on
the surface.

merlin