XML regression test failure

From
Neil Conway
Date:
$ make -C src/test/regress runtest
[ ... ]
test xml                  ... FAILED
test stats                ... ok
test tablespace           ... ok

========================
 1 of 105 tests failed.
========================

The regression.diffs are attached. Note that this reproduces
consistently, but only occurs if I use the "runtest" Makefile target
(i.e. run the regression tests in serial mode); "make check" works fine,
for example.

-Neil

Attachment

Re: XML regression test failure

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> The regression.diffs are attached. Note that this reproduces
> consistently, but only occurs if I use the "runtest" Makefile target
> (i.e. run the regression tests in serial mode); "make check" works
> fine, for example.

You need to re-initdb.
--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: XML regression test failure

Date:
> Neil Conway wrote:
>> The regression.diffs are attached. Note that this reproduces
>> consistently, but only occurs if I use the "runtest" Makefile target
>> (i.e. run the regression tests in serial mode); "make check" works
>> fine, for example.

> You need to re-initdb.

IOW someone forgot to bump catversion when committing a change that
invalidated the regression tests?  Preventing this type of confusion
is exactly what we invented catversion for.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Neil Conway wrote:
> >> The regression.diffs are attached. Note that this reproduces
> >> consistently, but only occurs if I use the "runtest" Makefile
> >> target (i.e. run the regression tests in serial mode); "make
> >> check" works fine, for example.
> >
> > You need to re-initdb.
>
> IOW someone forgot to bump catversion when committing a change that
> invalidated the regression tests?

No.  I should have said you need to reinstall, when you run the test
against an already installed instance.  Once reinstalled, the
catversion check will trigger.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: XML regression test failure

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 08:36 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> > >
> > > You need to re-initdb.
> >
> > IOW someone forgot to bump catversion when committing a change that
> > invalidated the regression tests?
>
> No.  I should have said you need to reinstall, when you run the test
> against an already installed instance.  Once reinstalled, the
> catversion check will trigger.

The main point is the same as the catversion check however. There should
be a message that says "reinstall to correct this", just like the
catversion check does, or at very least a hint to say "have you tried a
reinstall to correct this?"

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com