Clarification needed

From
"Indira Muthuswamy"
Date:
Hai,

Can anyone of you help me in finding the datatype of a particular column in a table in Postgres?

Thanks and Regards,
M.Indira

Re: Clarification needed

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
Look at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/catalogs.html

Specially on pg_attribute, pg_class and pg_type table. Or you can use
some features in the psql.
Zdenek

Indira Muthuswamy napsal(a):
> Hai,
>
> Can anyone of you help me in finding the datatype of a particular column
> in a table in Postgres?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> M.Indira

Re: Clarification needed

From
"Andrew Hammond"
Date:
"Indira Muthuswamy" wrote:

> Can anyone of you help me in finding the datatype of a particular column in
> a table in Postgres?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> M.Indira

You're almost in the right place, but you'd be better off asking this
question in the pgsql-general or perhaps pgsql-novice. This mailing
list is for talking about modifications to the actual database engine.

Drew

Re: Clarification needed

From
Dhanaraj M
Date:
In psql,
psql>\d tableName

Query is
SELECT pg_catalog.format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod) from
pg_attribute a, pg_class c where  a.attrelid =c.oid and
c.relname='TableName' and a.attname='ColName';

Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> Look at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/catalogs.html
>
> Specially on pg_attribute, pg_class and pg_type table. Or you can use
> some features in the psql.
>
>     Zdenek
>

> Indira Muthuswamy napsal(a):
>
>> Hai,
>>
>> Can anyone of you help me in finding the datatype of a particular
>> column in a table in Postgres?
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> M.Indira

Re: Clarification needed

From
"Sreejesh O S"
Date:
you should use schemaname.tablename syntax if you are using schema

Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> Look at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/catalogs.html
>
> Specially on pg_attribute, pg_class and pg_type table. Or you can use
> some features in the psql.
>
>     Zdenek
>

> Indira Muthuswamy napsal(a):
>
>> Hai,
>>
>> Can anyone of you help me in finding the datatype of a particular
>> column in a table in Postgres?
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> M.Indira

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Clarification needed

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
See also information_schema and newsysviews on pgFoundry.