Emacs local vars at the tail of every file

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
I don't know if this changes the calculus but apparently we've already decided
to go down the route of having Emacs local variables attached to every file in
the source directory. We have things like this there:

<!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
Local variables:
mode: sgml
sgml-omittag:nil
sgml-shorttag:t
sgml-minimize-attributes:nil
sgml-always-quote-attributes:t
sgml-indent-step:1
sgml-indent-data:t
sgml-parent-document:nil
sgml-default-dtd-file:"../reference.ced"
sgml-exposed-tags:nil
sgml-local-catalogs:"/usr/lib/sgml/catalog"
sgml-local-ecat-files:nil
End:
-->

Re: Emacs local vars at the tail of every file

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> I don't know if this changes the calculus but apparently we've already decided
> to go down the route of having Emacs local variables attached to every file in
> the source directory. We have things like this there:
>
> <!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
> Local variables:
> mode: sgml
> sgml-omittag:nil
> sgml-shorttag:t
> sgml-minimize-attributes:nil
> sgml-always-quote-attributes:t
> sgml-indent-step:1
> sgml-indent-data:t
> sgml-parent-document:nil
> sgml-default-dtd-file:"../reference.ced"
> sgml-exposed-tags:nil
> sgml-local-catalogs:"/usr/lib/sgml/catalog"
> sgml-local-ecat-files:nil
> End:
> -->

Only in the docs.

cheers

andrew

Re: Emacs local vars at the tail of every file

Date:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> I don't know if this changes the calculus but apparently we've already decided
>> to go down the route of having Emacs local variables attached to every file in
>> the source directory. We have things like this there:
>>
>> <!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
>> Local variables:

> Only in the docs.

And indeed I'd argue for taking those *out* of the docs files, and
adding them to the suggested emacs config-file hacking.  A sufficient
reason why is that I doubt these settings are uniformly valid across
all emacs versions.  We already know that the C-code indentation
settings have changed, and this sgml configuration is far more detailed
than those.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Emacs local vars at the tail of every file

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> I don't know if this changes the calculus but apparently we've
> already decided to go down the route of having Emacs local variables
> attached to every file in the source directory. We have things like
> this there:

I delete them from every file I edit, but I haven't been interested
enough to remove them all.  Feel free to do the legwork.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Emacs local vars at the tail of every file

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> > I don't know if this changes the calculus but apparently we've
> > already decided to go down the route of having Emacs local variables
> > attached to every file in the source directory. We have things like
> > this there:
>
> I delete them from every file I edit, but I haven't been interested
> enough to remove them all.  Feel free to do the legwork.

Done.