Rtree circle ops

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Hi,

Is there any reason for Rtree circle ops not being included in
PostgreSQL?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Rtree circle ops

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> Is there any reason for Rtree circle ops not being included in
> PostgreSQL?

rtree is going away (has gone away in HEAD awhile ago, in fact).
        regards, tom lane

Re: Rtree circle ops

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> > Is there any reason for Rtree circle ops not being included in
> > PostgreSQL?
>
> rtree is going away (has gone away in HEAD awhile ago, in fact).

I know. I just want to make sure that there's any technical reason it
had not been supported for long time.

BTW, I seems there are some users who are willing to continue to use
Rtree.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Rtree circle ops

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
>> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
>>> Is there any reason for Rtree circle ops not being included in
>>> PostgreSQL?
>>
>> rtree is going away (has gone away in HEAD awhile ago, in fact).

> I know. I just want to make sure that there's any technical reason it
> had not been supported for long time.

AFAIR, the code simply wasn't there before 8.1.  I threw in an opclass
definition for circles while adding the rtree-equivalent opclasses
to GIST, because the use case for it was pretty obvious
(distance-to-a-point type queries).  We could have added the same
opclass to rtree at the same time, but I saw no point given that we
were planning to drop rtree in the next release cycle.

> BTW, I seems there are some users who are willing to continue to use
> Rtree.

It's a bit late to be objecting to that decision.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Rtree circle ops

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> >>
> >> rtree is going away (has gone away in HEAD awhile ago, in fact).
>
> > I know. I just want to make sure that there's any technical reason it
> > had not been supported for long time.
>
> AFAIR, the code simply wasn't there before 8.1.  I threw in an opclass
> definition for circles while adding the rtree-equivalent opclasses
> to GIST, because the use case for it was pretty obvious
> (distance-to-a-point type queries).  We could have added the same
> opclass to rtree at the same time, but I saw no point given that we
> were planning to drop rtree in the next release cycle.
>
> > BTW, I seems there are some users who are willing to continue to use
> > Rtree.
>
> It's a bit late to be objecting to that decision.

Yes, probably the only way to help the user would be 1) build a new
pgfoundry or whatever open souce project 2) provide a commercial
support for him.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Rtree circle ops

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > > I know. I just want to make sure that there's any technical reason it
> > > had not been supported for long time.
> >
> > AFAIR, the code simply wasn't there before 8.1.  I threw in an opclass
> > definition for circles while adding the rtree-equivalent opclasses
> > to GIST, because the use case for it was pretty obvious
> > (distance-to-a-point type queries).  We could have added the same
> > opclass to rtree at the same time, but I saw no point given that we
> > were planning to drop rtree in the next release cycle.
> >
> > > BTW, I seems there are some users who are willing to continue to use
> > > Rtree.
> >
> > It's a bit late to be objecting to that decision.
>
> Yes, probably the only way to help the user would be 1) build a new
> pgfoundry or whatever open souce project 2) provide a commercial
> support for him.

I wonder why isn't an option to migrate to GiST?

Re: Rtree circle ops

Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> Yes, probably the only way to help the user would be 1) build a new
>> pgfoundry or whatever open souce project 2) provide a commercial
>> support for him.

> I wonder why isn't an option to migrate to GiST?

Indeed.  The reason we removed rtree was that we could not see any case
where it was superior to GIST, and there were plenty of reasons why it
was inferior.  What's the specific motivation for wanting to stay with
rtree?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Rtree circle ops

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> > I wonder why isn't an option to migrate to GiST?
>
> Indeed.  The reason we removed rtree was that we could not see any case
> where it was superior to GIST, and there were plenty of reasons why it
> was inferior.  What's the specific motivation for wanting to stay with
> rtree?

Don't know. I just heard that they evaluated GIST and decided not to
go with it. I'll get back if I get more info.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan