find the template of a database in SQL

From
"Walter Cruz"
Date:
Hi all..

There's some way to find the template of a database in SQL (using 7.4)?

[]'s
- Walter

Re: find the template of a database in SQL

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Walter Cruz wrote:
> Hi all..
>
> There's some way to find the template of a database in SQL (using 7.4)?
Find the template? Could you clarify your question?

> []'s
> - Walter

Re: find the template of a database in SQL

From
"Walter Cruz"
Date:
well, when I create a database, it inherits from template1

When I have a table that I don't know if it inherits from template 1,
how can I find the 'super' ?

[]'s
- Walter

Date:
Walter Cruz wrote:
> well, when I create a database, it inherits from template1
>
> When I have a table that I don't know if it inherits from template 1,
> how can I find the 'super' ?
I do not believe that tables have templates in 7.4 unless you specifically
use a query like:

create table foo as select * from bar;

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
"Walter Cruz" <walter.php@gmail.com> writes:
> well, when I create a database, it inherits from template1
> When I have a table that I don't know if it inherits from template 1,
> how can I find the 'super' ?

There isn't any persistent "inheritance" relationship for databases.
CREATE DATABASE just copies the source database at the instant of
creation, and that's the end of it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: find the template of a database in SQL

From
"korryd@enterprisedb.com"
Date:

wascreated from the template database (template0 or template1) when the database was created.<br /><br /> I don't think
youcan tell.  When you create a new database from a template (typically template1), you're just making a copy of that
template. It's not really inheritance (meaning that a change to the table definition in the template won't affect any
databases"cloned" from that template).<br /><br /> To find out where the table came from, you'd have to know which
templateyour current database was cloned from and I don't think we store that info anywhere.<br /><br />         --
href="mailto:korryd@enterprisedb.com">korryd@enterprisedb.com</a><br/>   EnterpriseDB      <a