feature request: pg_dump --view

From
Phil Frost
Date:
I could really use a --view option to pg_dump (and pg_restore, i
imagine). This would instruct pg_dump to dump just a named view, much
like --table, --trigger, --function, etc. Could this maybe be added to a
todo list?

Re: feature request: pg_dump --view

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 18:06 -0400, Phil Frost wrote:
> I could really use a --view option to pg_dump (and pg_restore, i
> imagine).

pg_dump -t <view_name> will work.

-Neil

Re: feature request: pg_dump --view

From
elein
Date:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:48:52PM -0700, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 18:06 -0400, Phil Frost wrote:
> > I could really use a --view option to pg_dump (and pg_restore, i
> > imagine).
>
> pg_dump -t <view_name> will work.
>
> -Neil

Oh, you got me all worked up.  I was reading this as a way to
dump the CONTENTS of a view not the DEFINITION of a view.
I thought someone sneaked in pg_dump of a query in there.

--elein

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: feature request: pg_dump --view

From
Andrew Dunstan
elein wrote:
>> pg_dump -t <view_name> will work.
>>

> Oh, you got me all worked up.  I was reading this as a way to
> dump the CONTENTS of a view not the DEFINITION of a view.
> I thought someone sneaked in pg_dump of a query in there.

How would you load such a dump, since views are by default select-only?

cheers

andrew

Re: feature request: pg_dump --view

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Andrew Dunstan (andrew@dunslane.net) wrote:
> elein wrote:
> >>pg_dump -t <view_name> will work.
> >
> >Oh, you got me all worked up.  I was reading this as a way to
> >dump the CONTENTS of a view not the DEFINITION of a view.
> >I thought someone sneaked in pg_dump of a query in there.
> >

> How would you load such a dump, since views are by default select-only?

Create the appropriate table definition, and then load it up?  Of
course, an option to have the pg_dump include the table definition
derived from the view would be nice also.
Thanks,
    Stephen