PG_MODULE_MAGIC

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
A module magic patch was added recently and I'm a bit uncertain what the implications are
for the external PL modules. Does it affect them at all? Will I need to provide separate
binaries for each bug fix release even though the API's do not change? Exactly how is the
magic determined?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC

Date:
Thomas Hallgren <thomas@tada.se> writes:
> A module magic patch was added recently and I'm a bit uncertain what the implications are
> for the external PL modules. Does it affect them at all?

Yes.

> Will I need to provide separate
> binaries for each bug fix release even though the API's do not change?

No, each major release (8.2, 8.3, etc).  There are hardly ever any major
releases where you wouldn't need a new compilation anyway ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC

From
Thomas Hallgren
Tom Lane wrote:
> No, each major release (8.2, 8.3, etc).  There are hardly ever any major
> releases where you wouldn't need a new compilation anyway ...

True. I'm all in favor of a magic used this way. It will save me some grief.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren