Clarification required

From
Dhanaraj M
Date:
I could not understand the following TODO item.
Can anyone explain this.

Monitoring:
=========

Allow server logs to be remotely read and removed using SQL commands

Does it mean that the server log file should be read by the client? What
kind of removal (using SQL)?
Also I like to know where the server log file is stored.

Thanks
Dhanaraj

Re: Clarification required

From
"Dave Page"

This is possible using the functions in the adminpack contrib module
that's currently in the patch queue:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00006.html

> Also I like to know where the server log file is stored.

Check your postgresql.conf file.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Clarification required

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 05:00:51PM +0530, Dhanaraj M wrote:
> I could not understand the following TODO item.
> Can anyone explain this.
>
> Monitoring:
> =========
>
> Allow server logs to be remotely read and removed using SQL commands
>

> Does it mean that the server log file should be read by the client? What
> kind of removal (using SQL)?

The log would be read by the server (backend process) and passed to the
client, presumably via some function ie: SELECT pg_readlog();

> Also I like to know where the server log file is stored.

It's configurable.

Re: Clarification required

From
Dhanaraj M
Date:
The server log file means the files that are in pg_xlog. or some
more/some other files?

The log files in pg_xlog dir are not human readable. How is it useful on
the client side?

Dave Page wrote:

>>could not understand the following TODO item.
>>Can anyone explain this.
>>
>>Monitoring:
>>=========
>>
>>Allow server logs to be remotely read and removed using SQL commands
>>

>>Does it mean that the server log file should be read by the
>>client? What kind of removal (using SQL)?
>>

>This is possible using the functions in the adminpack contrib module
>that's currently in the patch queue:
>http://candle.pha.pa.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00006.html
>

>>Also I like to know where the server log file is stored.
>>

>Check your postgresql.conf file.
>
>Regards, Dave.

Re: Clarification required

From
"Dave Page"

Not the transaction logs, the postmaster logs. Check the log_directory
parameter if redirect_stderr is turned on, or the startup parameters for
the server which can also specify the log location.

Regards, Dave.