TODO items..

From
Dhanaraj M
Date:
I saw the following in the TODO list. I am currently trying to work on them.
I could not understand clearly what needs to be done. Can anybody give me
the details for the following so that I can work on?

clients-psql
=========
1. Have psql show current values for a sequence
2. Fix psql's display of schema information (Neil)

Please explain me the current feature that is supported and  expected
out of it.

Thanks
Dhanaraj

Re: TODO items..

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Dhanaraj M wrote:
> I saw the following in the TODO list. I am currently trying to work on them.
> I could not understand clearly what needs to be done. Can anybody give me
> the details for the following so that I can work on?
>
> clients-psql
> =========
> 1. Have psql show current values for a sequence

This one means when you do a \dt of a sequence, add a column to display
the current value.

Re: TODO items..

From
Gevik Babakhani
Date:
> This one means when you do a \dt of a sequence, add a column to display
> the current value.

Perhaps this one will be tricky because you will never be sure to get
the last sequence number when you query for it. The number could change
the moment the query is finished.

Re: TODO items..

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 05:37:28PM +0200, Gevik Babakhani wrote:

> > This one means when you do a \dt of a sequence, add a column to display
> > the current value.
> >

> Perhaps this one will be tricky because you will never be sure to get
> the last sequence number when you query for it. The number could change
> the moment the query is finished.

So could the structure of a table or the definition of a function.
That's just a fact of life. Doesn't change the fact that it'd be
useful. You need nextval() to actually get a useful value for
queries...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: TODO items..

Date:
Dhanaraj M wrote:
> I saw the following in the TODO list. I am currently trying to work on them.
> I could not understand clearly what needs to be done. Can anybody give me
> the details for the following so that I can work on?
>
> clients-psql
> =========
> 1. Have psql show current values for a sequence

Already answered.

> 2. Fix psql's display of schema information (Neil)
>
> Please explain me the current feature that is supported and  expected
> out of it.

Yes, this item was unclear.  I used text suggested by the author:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-12/msg00094.php

but that was not clear.  TODO is now:
       o Fix psql's \dn for various schema combinations (Neil)
         http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg00014.php

with a URL that has the details.  Thanks for pointing out the problem.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO items..

Date:
> but that was not clear.  TODO is now:
>         o Fix psql's \dn for various schema combinations (Neil)
>           http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg00014.php
> with a URL that has the details.  Thanks for pointing out the problem.

You might want to also include a link to the thread start,
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-10/msg00989.php

because the above message doesn't link there (I think our mail archiver
has trouble with following threads across month boundaries).

Also, the TODO item could be worded
* Make psql's \d commands more consistent

because that's really what Neil is on about ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: TODO items..

Date:
OK, done.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > but that was not clear.  TODO is now:
> >         o Fix psql's \dn for various schema combinations (Neil)
> >           http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg00014.php
> > with a URL that has the details.  Thanks for pointing out the problem.
>
> You might want to also include a link to the thread start,
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-10/msg00989.php
>
> because the above message doesn't link there (I think our mail archiver
> has trouble with following threads across month boundaries).
>
> Also, the TODO item could be worded
>
>     * Make psql's \d commands more consistent
>
> because that's really what Neil is on about ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO items..

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 22 April 2006 13:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> Also, the TODO item could be worded
>
>     * Make psql's \d commands more consistent
>
> because that's really what Neil is on about ...

like making \df only show user functions and \dfS show system functions, like
all the other objects?  :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: TODO items..

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 22 April 2006 11:24, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Dhanaraj M wrote:
> > I saw the following in the TODO list. I am currently trying to work on
> > them. I could not understand clearly what needs to be done. Can anybody
> > give me the details for the following so that I can work on?
> >
> > clients-psql
> > =========
> > 1. Have psql show current values for a sequence
>
> This one means when you do a \dt of a sequence, add a column to display
> the current value.

Um, I think you meant \ds right ?

--
Robert Treat

Re: TODO items..

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 22 April 2006 11:24, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Dhanaraj M wrote:
> > > I saw the following in the TODO list. I am currently trying to work on
> > > them. I could not understand clearly what needs to be done. Can anybody
> > > give me the details for the following so that I can work on?
> > >
> > > clients-psql
> > > =========
> > > 1. Have psql show current values for a sequence
> >
> > This one means when you do a \dt of a sequence, add a column to display
> > the current value.
>
> Um, I think you meant \ds right ?

Whatever.  I don't display sequences a lot myself ...

Re: TODO items..

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Robert Treat (xzilla@users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
> On Saturday 22 April 2006 13:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Also, the TODO item could be worded
> >
> >     * Make psql's \d commands more consistent
> >
> > because that's really what Neil is on about ...
> >

> like making \df only show user functions and \dfS show system functions, like
> all the other objects?  :-)

How about also having it show the owner (instead of having to use \df+
which gets huge...) and the permissions...  Or perhaps have a seperate
\dfp or something to get that information.  It's annoying to have to
either query the catalog directly or look through \df+ for why I can't
drop a given function.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: TODO items..

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Sunday 23 April 2006 11:42, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:

> > > This one means when you do a \dt of a sequence, add a column to display
> > > the current value.
> >
> > Um, I think you meant \ds right ?
>
> Whatever.  I don't display sequences a lot myself ...

:-)  I double checked because I wasn't sure myself, but figured it was best to
clarify rather than risk confusing the noobs. :-)

--
Robert Treat