Explaining Explain

From
Luckys
Date:
I'm looking for some comphrensive article explaining the Optimizer, i.e
detailed explanation on Hash joins, Nested Joins etc., and why would the Optimizer choose that.
can anybody point me to some good tutorials and resources?

regards,
Luckys

Re: Explaining Explain

From
"Nicolas Barbier"
Date:
2006/4/6, Luckys <plpgsql@gmail.com>:

> I'm looking for some comphrensive article explaining the Optimizer, i.e
> detailed explanation on Hash joins, Nested Joins etc., and why would the
> Optimizer choose that.
> can anybody point me to some good tutorials and resources?

"A Tour of PostgreSQL Internals":
<url:http://www.postgresql.org/files/developer/tour.pdf>

"Recent PostgreSQL Optimizer Improvements":
<url:http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/view/e_sess/4372>

"Inside the PostgreSQL Query Optimizer":
<url:http://lca2005.linux.org.au/Papers/Neil%20Conway/Inside%20the%20PostgreSQL%20Query%20Optimizer/index.html>

The manual: <url:http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/planner-optimizer.html>

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Barbier

Re: Explaining Explain

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 06 April 2006 07:43, Nicolas Barbier wrote:
> 2006/4/6, Luckys <plpgsql@gmail.com>:
> > I'm looking for some comphrensive article explaining the Optimizer, i.e
> > detailed explanation on Hash joins, Nested Joins etc., and why would the
> > Optimizer choose that.
> > can anybody point me to some good tutorials and resources?
>
> "A Tour of PostgreSQL Internals":
> <url:http://www.postgresql.org/files/developer/tour.pdf>
>
> "Recent PostgreSQL Optimizer Improvements":
> <url:http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/view/e_sess/4372>
>
> "Inside the PostgreSQL Query Optimizer":
> <url:http://lca2005.linux.org.au/Papers/Neil%20Conway/Inside%20the%20Postgr
>eSQL%20Query%20Optimizer/index.html>
>
> The manual:
> <url:http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/planner-optimizer.html>

I feel somewhat obligated to add the following to the list:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/oscon2005/robert.treat/  contains the open
office presenation file.  If you google on "explaining explain" you can get
an html version.

--
Robert Treat