qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

Date:
Gary Doades <gpd@gpdnet.co.uk> writes:
> If I run the script again, it is not always the first case that is slow,
> it varies from run to run, which is why I repeated it quite a few times
> for the test.

For some reason I hadn't immediately twigged to the fact that your test
script is just N repetitions of the exact same structure with random data.
So it's not so surprising that you get random variations in behavior
with different test data sets.

I did some experimentation comparing the qsort from Fedora Core 4
(glibc-2.3.5-10.3) with our src/port/qsort.c.  For those who weren't
following the pgsql-performance thread, the test case is just this
repeated a lot of times:

create table atest(i int4, r int4);
insert into atest (i,r) select generate_series(1,100000), 0;
insert into atest (i,r) select generate_series(1,100000), random()*100000;
\timing
create index idx on atest(r);
\timing
drop table atest;

I did this 100 times and sorted the reported runtimes.  (Investigation
with trace_sort = on confirms that the runtime is almost entirely spent
in qsort() called from our performsort --- the Postgres overhead is
about 100msec on this machine.)  Results are below.

It seems clear that our qsort.c is doing a pretty awful job of picking
qsort pivots, while glibc is mostly managing not to make that mistake.
I haven't looked at the glibc code yet to see what they are doing
differently.

I'd say this puts a considerable damper on my enthusiasm for using our
qsort all the time, as was recently debated in this thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00610.php
We need to fix our qsort.c before pushing ahead with that idea.

            regards, tom lane

100 runtimes for glibc qsort, sorted ascending:

Time: 459.860 ms
Time: 460.209 ms
Time: 460.704 ms
Time: 461.317 ms
Time: 461.538 ms
Time: 461.652 ms
Time: 461.988 ms
Time: 462.573 ms
Time: 462.638 ms
Time: 462.716 ms
Time: 462.917 ms
Time: 463.219 ms
Time: 463.455 ms
Time: 463.650 ms
Time: 463.723 ms
Time: 463.737 ms
Time: 463.750 ms
Time: 463.852 ms
Time: 463.964 ms
Time: 463.988 ms
Time: 464.003 ms
Time: 464.135 ms
Time: 464.372 ms
Time: 464.458 ms
Time: 464.496 ms
Time: 464.551 ms
Time: 464.599 ms
Time: 464.655 ms
Time: 464.656 ms
Time: 464.722 ms
Time: 464.814 ms
Time: 464.827 ms
Time: 464.878 ms
Time: 464.899 ms
Time: 464.905 ms
Time: 464.987 ms
Time: 465.055 ms
Time: 465.138 ms
Time: 465.159 ms
Time: 465.194 ms
Time: 465.310 ms
Time: 465.316 ms
Time: 465.375 ms
Time: 465.450 ms
Time: 465.535 ms
Time: 465.595 ms
Time: 465.680 ms
Time: 465.769 ms
Time: 465.865 ms
Time: 465.892 ms
Time: 465.903 ms
Time: 466.003 ms
Time: 466.154 ms
Time: 466.164 ms
Time: 466.203 ms
Time: 466.305 ms
Time: 466.344 ms
Time: 466.364 ms
Time: 466.388 ms
Time: 466.502 ms
Time: 466.593 ms
Time: 466.725 ms
Time: 466.794 ms
Time: 466.798 ms
Time: 466.904 ms
Time: 466.971 ms
Time: 466.997 ms
Time: 467.122 ms
Time: 467.146 ms
Time: 467.221 ms
Time: 467.224 ms
Time: 467.244 ms
Time: 467.277 ms
Time: 467.587 ms
Time: 468.142 ms
Time: 468.207 ms
Time: 468.237 ms
Time: 468.471 ms
Time: 468.663 ms
Time: 468.700 ms
Time: 469.235 ms
Time: 469.840 ms
Time: 470.472 ms
Time: 471.140 ms
Time: 472.811 ms
Time: 472.959 ms
Time: 474.858 ms
Time: 477.210 ms
Time: 479.571 ms
Time: 479.671 ms
Time: 482.797 ms
Time: 488.852 ms
Time: 514.639 ms
Time: 529.287 ms
Time: 612.185 ms
Time: 660.748 ms
Time: 742.227 ms
Time: 866.814 ms
Time: 1234.848 ms
Time: 1267.398 ms

100 runtimes for port/qsort.c, sorted ascending:

Time: 418.905 ms
Time: 420.611 ms
Time: 420.764 ms
Time: 420.904 ms
Time: 421.706 ms
Time: 422.466 ms
Time: 422.627 ms
Time: 423.189 ms
Time: 423.302 ms
Time: 425.096 ms
Time: 425.731 ms
Time: 425.851 ms
Time: 427.253 ms
Time: 430.113 ms
Time: 432.756 ms
Time: 432.963 ms
Time: 440.502 ms
Time: 440.640 ms
Time: 450.452 ms
Time: 458.143 ms
Time: 459.212 ms
Time: 467.706 ms
Time: 468.006 ms
Time: 468.574 ms
Time: 470.003 ms
Time: 472.313 ms
Time: 483.622 ms
Time: 492.395 ms
Time: 509.564 ms
Time: 531.037 ms
Time: 533.366 ms
Time: 535.610 ms
Time: 575.523 ms
Time: 582.688 ms
Time: 593.545 ms
Time: 647.364 ms
Time: 660.612 ms
Time: 677.312 ms
Time: 680.288 ms
Time: 697.626 ms
Time: 833.066 ms
Time: 834.511 ms
Time: 851.819 ms
Time: 920.443 ms
Time: 926.731 ms
Time: 954.289 ms
Time: 1045.214 ms
Time: 1059.200 ms
Time: 1062.328 ms
Time: 1136.018 ms
Time: 1260.091 ms
Time: 1276.883 ms
Time: 1319.351 ms
Time: 1438.854 ms
Time: 1475.457 ms
Time: 1538.211 ms
Time: 1549.004 ms
Time: 1744.642 ms
Time: 1771.258 ms
Time: 1959.530 ms
Time: 2300.140 ms
Time: 2589.641 ms
Time: 2612.780 ms
Time: 3100.024 ms
Time: 3284.125 ms
Time: 3379.792 ms
Time: 3750.278 ms
Time: 4302.278 ms
Time: 4780.624 ms
Time: 5000.056 ms
Time: 5092.604 ms
Time: 5168.722 ms
Time: 5292.941 ms
Time: 5895.964 ms
Time: 7003.164 ms
Time: 7099.449 ms
Time: 7115.083 ms
Time: 7384.940 ms
Time: 8214.010 ms
Time: 8700.771 ms
Time: 9331.225 ms
Time: 10503.360 ms
Time: 12496.026 ms
Time: 12982.474 ms
Time: 15192.390 ms
Time: 15392.161 ms
Time: 15958.295 ms
Time: 18375.693 ms
Time: 18617.706 ms
Time: 18927.515 ms
Time: 19898.018 ms
Time: 20865.979 ms
Time: 21000.907 ms
Time: 21297.585 ms
Time: 21714.518 ms
Time: 25423.235 ms
Time: 27543.052 ms
Time: 28314.182 ms
Time: 29400.278 ms
Time: 34142.534 ms

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

From
Gary Doades
Tom Lane wrote:
> For some reason I hadn't immediately twigged to the fact that your test
> script is just N repetitions of the exact same structure with random data.
> So it's not so surprising that you get random variations in behavior
> with different test data sets.
>
  > It seems clear that our qsort.c is doing a pretty awful job of picking
> qsort pivots, while glibc is mostly managing not to make that mistake.
> I haven't looked at the glibc code yet to see what they are doing
> differently.
>
> I'd say this puts a considerable damper on my enthusiasm for using our
> qsort all the time, as was recently debated in this thread:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00610.php
> We need to fix our qsort.c before pushing ahead with that idea.

[snip]

> Time: 28314.182 ms
> Time: 29400.278 ms
> Time: 34142.534 ms

Ouch! That confirms my problem. I generated the random test case because
it was easier than including the dump of my tables, but you can
appreciate that tables 20 times the size are basically crippled when it
comes to creating an index on them.

Examining the dump and the associated times during restore it looks like
I have 7 tables with this approximate distribution, thus the
ridiculously long restore time. Better not re-index soon!

Is this likely to hit me in a random fashion during normal operation,
joins, sorts, order by for example?

So the options are:
1) Fix the included qsort.c code and use that
2) Get FreeBSD to fix their qsort code
3) Both

I guess that 1 is the real solution in case anyone else's qsort is
broken in the same way. Then at least you *could* use it all the time :)

Regards,
Gary.

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

Date:
Gary Doades <gpd@gpdnet.co.uk> writes:
> Is this likely to hit me in a random fashion during normal operation,
> joins, sorts, order by for example?

Yup, anytime you're passing data with that kind of distribution
through a sort.

> So the options are:
> 1) Fix the included qsort.c code and use that
> 2) Get FreeBSD to fix their qsort code
> 3) Both

> I guess that 1 is the real solution in case anyone else's qsort is
> broken in the same way. Then at least you *could* use it all the time :)

It's reasonable to assume that most of the *BSDen have basically the
same qsort code.  Ours claims to have come from NetBSD sources, but
I don't doubt that they all trace back to a common ancestor.

            regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

Date:
Gary Doades <gpd@gpdnet.co.uk> writes:
> Ouch! That confirms my problem. I generated the random test case because
> it was easier than including the dump of my tables, but you can
> appreciate that tables 20 times the size are basically crippled when it
> comes to creating an index on them.

Actually... we only use qsort when we have a sorting problem that fits
within the allowed sort memory.  The external-sort logic doesn't go
through that code at all.  So all the analysis we just did on your test
case doesn't necessarily apply to sort problems that are too large for
the sort_mem setting.

The test case would be sorting 200000 index entries, which'd probably
occupy at least 24 bytes apiece of sort memory, so probably about 5 meg.
A problem 20 times that size would definitely not fit in the default
16MB maintenance_work_mem.  Were you using a large value of
maintenance_work_mem for your restore?

            regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Ron
Date:
This behavior is consistent with the pivot choosing algorithm
assuming certain distribution(s) for the data.  For instance,
median-of-three partitioning is known to be pessimal when the data is
geometrically or hyper-geometrically distributed.  Also, care must be
taken that sometimes is not when there are many equal values in the
data.  Even pseudo random number generator based pivot choosing
algorithms are not immune if the PRNG is flawed in some way.

How are we choosing our pivots?

I wrote:
> Gary Doades <gpd@gpdnet.co.uk> writes:
>> Ouch! That confirms my problem. I generated the random test case because
>> it was easier than including the dump of my tables, but you can
>> appreciate that tables 20 times the size are basically crippled when it
>> comes to creating an index on them.

> Actually... we only use qsort when we have a sorting problem that fits
> within the allowed sort memory.  The external-sort logic doesn't go
> through that code at all.  So all the analysis we just did on your test
> case doesn't necessarily apply to sort problems that are too large for
> the sort_mem setting.

I increased the size of the test case by 10x (basically s/100000/1000000/)
which is enough to push it into the external-sort regime.  I get
amazingly stable runtimes now --- I didn't have the patience to run 100
trials, but in 30 trials I have slowest 11538 msec and fastest 11144 msec.
So this code path is definitely not very sensitive to this data
distribution.

While these numbers aren't glittering in comparison to the best-case
qsort times (~450 msec to sort 10% as much data), they are sure a lot
better than the worst-case times.  So maybe a workaround for you is
to decrease maintenance_work_mem, counterintuitive though that be.
(Now, if you *weren't* using maintenance_work_mem of 100MB or more
for your problem restore, then I'm not sure I know what's going on...)

We still ought to try to fix qsort of course.

            regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

Date:
Ron <rjpeace@earthlink.net> writes:
> How are we choosing our pivots?

See qsort.c: it looks like median of nine equally spaced inputs (ie,
the 1/8th points of the initial input array, plus the end points),
implemented as two rounds of median-of-three choices.  With half of the
data inputs zero, it's not too improbable for two out of the three
samples to be zeroes in which case I think the med3 result will be zero
--- so choosing a pivot of zero is much more probable than one would
like, and doing so in many levels of recursion causes the problem.

I think.  I'm not too sure if the code isn't just being sloppy about the
case where many data values are equal to the pivot --- there's a special
case there to switch to insertion sort, and maybe that's getting invoked
too soon.  It'd be useful to get a line-level profile of the behavior of
this code in the slow cases...

            regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

From
"Dann Corbit"

Adding some randomness to the selection of the pivot is a known
technique to fix the oddball partitions problem.  However, Bentley and
Sedgewick proved that every quick sort algorithm has some input set that
makes it go quadratic (hence the recent popularity of introspective
sort, which switches to heapsort if quadratic behavior is detected.  The
C++ template I submitted was an example of introspective sort, but
PostgreSQL does not use C++ so it was not helpful).

> I think.  I'm not too sure if the code isn't just being sloppy about
the
> case where many data values are equal to the pivot --- there's a
special
> case there to switch to insertion sort, and maybe that's getting
invoked
> too soon.

Here are some cases known to make qsort go quadratic:
1. Data already sorted
2. Data reverse sorted
3. Data organ-pipe sorted or ramp
4. Almost all data of the same value

There are probably other cases.  Randomizing the pivot helps some, as
does check for in-order or reverse order partitions.

Imagine if 1/3 of the partitions fall into a category that causes
quadratic behavior (have one of the above formats and have more than
CUTOFF elements in them).

It is doubtful that the switch to insertion sort is causing any sort of
problems.  It is only going to be invoked on tiny sets, for which it has
a fixed cost that is probably less that qsort() function calls on sets
of the same size.

>It'd be useful to get a line-level profile of the behavior of
> this code in the slow cases...

I guess that my in-order or presorted tests [which often arise when
there are very few distinct values] may solve the bad partition
problems.  Don't forget that the algorithm is called recursively.

broadcast)---------------------------

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Ouch! That confirms my problem. I generated the random test case because
> it was easier than including the dump of my tables, but you can
> appreciate that tables 20 times the size are basically crippled when it
> comes to creating an index on them.

I have to say that I restored a few gigabyte dump on freebsd the other
day, and most of the restore time was in index creation - I didn't think
too much of it though at the time.  FreeBSD 4.x.

Chris

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Simon Riggs
Date:

>  I get
> amazingly stable runtimes now --- I didn't have the patience to run 100
> trials, but in 30 trials I have slowest 11538 msec and fastest 11144 msec.
> So this code path is definitely not very sensitive to this data
> distribution.

"The worst-case behavior of replacement-selection is very close to its
average behavior, while the worst-case behavior of QuickSort is terrible
(N2) – a strong argument in favor of replacement-selection. Despite this
risk, QuickSort is widely used because, in practice, it has superior
performance." p.8, "AlphaSort: A Cache-Sensitive Parallel External
Sort", Nyberg et al, VLDB Journal 4(4): 603-627 (1995)

I think your other comment about flipping to insertion sort too early
(and not returning...) is a plausible cause for the poor pg qsort
behaviour, but the overall spread of values seems as expected.

Some test results I've seen seem consistent with the view that
increasing memory also increases run-time for larger settings of
work_mem/maintenance_work_mem. Certainly, as I observed a while back,
having a large memory settings doesn't help you at all when you are
doing final run merging on the external sort. Whatever we do, we should
look at the value high memory settings bring to each phase of a sort
separately from the other phases.

There is work underway on improving external sorts, so I hear (not me).
Plus my WIP on randomAccess requirements.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Neil Conway
Date:
> It seems clear that our qsort.c is doing a pretty awful job of picking
> qsort pivots, while glibc is mostly managing not to make that mistake.
> I haven't looked at the glibc code yet to see what they are doing
> differently.

glibc qsort is actually merge sort, so I'm not surprised it avoids this
problem.

-Neil

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

From
"Qingqing Zhou"
Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote

> I did this 100 times and sorted the reported runtimes.
>
> I'd say this puts a considerable damper on my enthusiasm for using our
> qsort all the time, as was recently debated in this thread:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00610.php
>
> 100 runtimes for glibc qsort, sorted ascending:
>
> Time: 866.814 ms
> Time: 1234.848 ms
> Time: 1267.398 ms
>
> 100 runtimes for port/qsort.c, sorted ascending:
>
> Time: 28314.182 ms
> Time: 29400.278 ms
> Time: 34142.534 ms

By "did this 100 times" do you mean generate a sequence of at most
200000*100 numbers, and for every 200000 numbers, the first half are all
zeros and the other half are uniform random numbers? I tried to confirm it
by patching the program mentioned in the link, but seems BSDqsort is still a
little bit leading.

Regards,
Qingqing

---
Result

sort#./sort
[3] [glibc qsort]: nelem(20000000), range(4294901760) distr(halfhalf)
ccost(2) : 18887.285000 ms
[3] [BSD qsort]: nelem(20000000), range(4294901760) distr(halfhalf) ccost(2)
: 18801.018000 ms
[3] [qsortG]: nelem(20000000), range(4294901760) distr(halfhalf) ccost(2) :
22997.004000 ms

---
Patch to sort.c

sort#diff -c sort.c sort1.c
*** sort.c      Thu Dec 15 12:18:59 2005
--- sort1.c     Wed Feb 15 22:21:15 2006
***************
*** 35,43 ****       {"BSD qsort", qsortB},       {"qsortG", qsortG} };
! static const size_t d_nelem[] = {1000, 10000, 100000, 1000000, 5000000};
! static const size_t d_range[] = {2, 32, 1024, 0xFFFF0000L};
! static const char *d_distr[] = {"uniform", "gaussian", "95sorted",
"95reversed"}; static const size_t d_ccost[] = {2};
 /* factor index */
--- 35,43 ----       {"BSD qsort", qsortB},       {"qsortG", qsortG} };
! static const size_t d_nelem[] = {5000000, 10000000, 20000000};
! static const size_t d_range[] = {0xFFFF0000L};
! static const char *d_distr[] = {"halfhalf"}; static const size_t d_ccost[] = {2};
 /* factor index */
***************
*** 180,185 ****
--- 180,192 ----                               swap(karray[i], karray[nelem-i-1]);               }       }
+       else if (!strcmp(distr, "halfhalf"))
+       {
+               int     j;
+               for (i = 0; i < nelem/200000; i++)
+                       for (j = 0; j < 100000; j++)
+                               karray[i*200000 + j] = 0;
+       }
       return array; }

Date:
At 08:21 PM 2/15/2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>Ron <rjpeace@earthlink.net> writes:
> > How are we choosing our pivots?
>
>See qsort.c: it looks like median of nine equally spaced inputs (ie,
>the 1/8th points of the initial input array, plus the end points),
>implemented as two rounds of median-of-three choices.

OK, this is a bad way to do median-of-n partitioning for a few
reasons.  See Sedgewick's PhD thesis for details.

Basically, if one is using median-of-n partitioning to choose a
pivot, one should do it in =one= pass, and n for that pass should be
<= the numbers of registers in the CPU.  Since the x86 ISA has 8
GPR's, n should be <= 8.  7 for instance.

Special purposing the median-of-n code so that the minimal number of
comparisons and moves is used to sort the sample and then
"partitioning in place" is the best way to do it.  In addition, care
must be taken to deal with the possibility that many of the keys may be equal.

The (pseudo) code looks something like this:

qs(a[],L,R){
if((R-L) > SAMPLE_SIZE){ // Not worth using qs for too few elements
    SortSample(SAMPLE_SIZE,a[],L,R);
    // Sorts SAMPLE_SIZE= n elements and does median-of-n
partitioning for small n
    // using the minimal number of comparisons and moves.
    // In the process it ends up partitioning the first n/2 and last
n/2 elements
    // SAMPLE_SIZE is a constant chosen to work best for a given CPU.
    //  #GPRs - 1 is a good initial guess.
    // For the x86 ISA, #GPRs - 1 = 7. For native x86-64, it's 15.
    // For most RISC CPUs it's 31 or 63.  For Itanium, it's 127 (!)
    pivot= a[(L+R)>>1]; i= L+(SAMPLE_SIZE>>1); j= R-(SAMPLE_SIZE>>1);
    for(;;){
       while(a[++i] < pivot);
       while(a[--j] > pivot);
       if(i >= j) break;
       if(a[i] > a[j]) swap(a[i],a[j]);
       }
    if((i-R) >= (j-L)){qs(a,L,i-1);}
    else{qs(a,i,R);}
else{OofN^2_Sort(a,L,R);}
// SelectSort may be better than InsertSort if KeySize in bits <<
RecordSize in bits
} // End of qs

Given that the most common CPU ISA in existence has 8 GPRs,
SAMPLE_SIZE= 7 is probably optimal:
t= (L+R);
the set would be {L; t/8; t/4; t/2; 3*t/4; 7*t/8; R;}
==> {L; t>>3; t>>2; t>>1; (3*t)>>2; (7*t)>>3; R} as the locations.
Even better (and more easily scaled as the number of GPR's in the CPU
changes) is to use
the set {L; L+1; L+2; t>>1; R-2; R-1; R}
This means that instead of 7 random memory accesses, we have 3; two
of which result in a
burst access for three elements each.
That's much faster; _and_ using a sample of 9, 15, 31, 63, etc (to
max of ~GPRs -1) elements is more easily done.

It also means that the work we do sorting the sample can be taken
advantage of when starting
inner loop of quicksort: items L..L+2, t, and R-2..R are already
partitioned by SortSample().

Insuring that the minimum number of comparisons and moves is done in
SortSample can be down by using a code generator to create a
comparison tree that identifies which permutation(s) of n we are
dealing with and then moving them into place with the minimal number of moves.

SIDE NOTE: IIRC glibc's qsort is actually merge sort.  Merge sort
performance is insensitive to all inputs, and there are way to
optimize it as well.

I'll leave the actual coding to someone who knows the pg source
better than I do.
Ron

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

Date:
"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq@cs.toronto.edu> writes:
> By "did this 100 times" do you mean generate a sequence of at most
> 200000*100 numbers, and for every 200000 numbers, the first half are all
> zeros and the other half are uniform random numbers?

No, I mean I ran the bit of SQL script I gave 100 separate times.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote
> "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq@cs.toronto.edu> writes:
> > By "did this 100 times" do you mean generate a sequence of at most
> > 200000*100 numbers, and for every 200000 numbers, the first half are all
> > zeros and the other half are uniform random numbers?
>
> No, I mean I ran the bit of SQL script I gave 100 separate times.

I must misunderstand something here -- I can't figure out that why the cost
of the same procedure keep climbing?

Regards,
Qingqing

Date:
"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq@cs.toronto.edu> wrote

> I must misunderstand something here -- I can't figure out that why the
cost
> of the same procedure keep climbing?

Ooops, I mis-intepret the sentence --  you sorted the results ...

Regards,
Qingqing

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

Date:
"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq@cs.toronto.edu> writes:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote
>> No, I mean I ran the bit of SQL script I gave 100 separate times.

> I must misunderstand something here -- I can't figure out that why the cost
> of the same procedure keep climbing?

No, the run cost varies randomly depending on the random data supplied
by the test script.  The reason the numbers are increasing is that I
sorted them for ease of inspection.
        regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again

From
Florian Weimer
* Neil Conway:

>> It seems clear that our qsort.c is doing a pretty awful job of picking
>> qsort pivots, while glibc is mostly managing not to make that mistake.
>> I haven't looked at the glibc code yet to see what they are doing
>> differently.
>
> glibc qsort is actually merge sort, so I'm not surprised it avoids this
> problem.

qsort also performs twice as many key comparisons as the theoretical
minimum.  If key comparison is not very cheap, other schemes (like
heapsort, for example) are more attractive.

Re: qsort again

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:10:48PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Neil Conway:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 18:28 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> It seems clear that our qsort.c is doing a pretty awful job of picking
> >> qsort pivots, while glibc is mostly managing not to make that mistake.
> >> I haven't looked at the glibc code yet to see what they are doing
> >> differently.
> >
> > glibc qsort is actually merge sort, so I'm not surprised it avoids this
> > problem.
>
> qsort also performs twice as many key comparisons as the theoretical
> minimum.  If key comparison is not very cheap, other schemes (like
> heapsort, for example) are more attractive.

Last time around there were a number of different algorithms tested.
Did anyone run those tests while getting it to count the number of
actual comparisons (which could easily swamp the time taken to do the
actual sort in some cases)?

Have a nice day,

Re: [PERFORM] qsort again

From
Sven Geisler
Date:
Martijn van Oosterhout schrieb:

> Last time around there were a number of different algorithms tested.
> Did anyone run those tests while getting it to count the number of
> actual comparisons (which could easily swamp the time taken to do the
> actual sort in some cases)?

The last time I did such tests is almost 10 years ago. I had used
MetroWerks CodeWarrior C/C++, which had Quicksort as algorithm in the Lib C.
Anyhow, I tested a few algorithms including merge sort and heapsort. I
end up with heapsort because it was the fastest algorithm for our issue.
We joined two arrays where each array was sorted and run qsort to sort
the new array.

Sven.

Date:
At 06:35 AM 2/16/2006, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:30:54PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> > Even better (and more easily scaled as the number of GPR's in the CPU
> > changes) is to use
> > the set {L; L+1; L+2; t>>1; R-2; R-1; R}
> > This means that instead of 7 random memory accesses, we have 3; two
> > of which result in a burst access for three elements each.
>
>Isn't that improvement going to disappear competely if you choose a bad
>pivot?
Only if you _consistently_ (read: "the vast majority of the time":
quicksort is actually darn robust) choose a _pessimal_, not just
"bad", pivot quicksort will degenerate to the O(N^2) behavior
everyone worries about.  See Corman & Rivest for a proof on this.

Even then, doing things as above has benefits:
1= The worst case is less bad since the guaranteed O(lgs!) pivot
choosing algorithm puts s elements into final position.
Worst case becomes better than O(N^2/(s-1)).

2=  The overhead of pivot choosing can overshadow the benefits using
more traditional methods for even moderate values of s.  See
discussions on the quicksort variant known as "samplesort" and
Sedgewick's PhD thesis for details.  Using a pivot choosing algorithm
that actually does some of the partitioning (and does it more
efficiently than the "usual" partitioning algorithm does) plus using
partition-in-place (rather then Lomuto's method) reduces overhead
very effectively (at the "cost" of more complicated / delicate to get
right partitioning code).  The above reduces the number of moves used
in a quicksort pass considerably regardless of the number of compares used.

3= Especially in modern systems where the gap between internal CPU
bandwidth and memory bandwidth is so great, the overhead of memory
accesses for comparisons and moves is the majority of the overhead
for both the pivot choosing and the partitioning algorithms within
quicksort.  Particularly random memory accesses.  The reason (#GPRs -
1) is a magic constant is that it's the most you can compare and move
using only register-to-register operations.

In addition, replacing as many of the memory accesses you must do
with sequential rather than random memory accesses is a big deal:
sequential memory access is measured in 10's of CPU cycles while
random memory access is measured in hundreds of CPU cycles.  It's no
accident that the advances in Grey's sorting contest have involved
algorithms that are both register and cache friendly, minimizing
overall memory access and using sequential memory access as much as
possible when said access can not be avoided.  As caches grow larger
and memory accesses more expensive, it's often worth it to use a
BucketSort+QuickSort hybrid rather than just QuickSort.

...and of course if you know enough about the data to be sorted so as
to constrain it appropriately, one should use a non comparison based
O(N) sorting algorithm rather than any of the general comparison
based O(NlgN) methods.

> > SIDE NOTE: IIRC glibc's qsort is actually merge sort.  Merge sort
> > performance is insensitive to all inputs, and there are way to
> > optimize it as well.
>
>glibc-2.3.5/stdlib/qsort.c:
>
>   /* Order size using quicksort.  This implementation incorporates
>      four optimizations discussed in Sedgewick:
>
>I can't see any references to merge sort in there at all.
Well, then I'm not the only person on the lists whose memory is faulty ;-)

The up side of MergeSort is that its performance is always O(NlgN).
The down sides are that it is far more memory hungry than QuickSort and slower.

Ron

Re: [PERFORM] qsort again

From
Ron
Date:
At 07:10 AM 2/16/2006, Florian Weimer wrote:
>* Neil Conway:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 18:28 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> It seems clear that our qsort.c is doing a pretty awful job of picking
> >> qsort pivots, while glibc is mostly managing not to make that mistake.
> >> I haven't looked at the glibc code yet to see what they are doing
> >> differently.
> >
> > glibc qsort is actually merge sort, so I'm not surprised it avoids this
> > problem.
>
>qsort also performs twice as many key comparisons as the theoretical
>minimum.

The theoretical minimum number of comparisons for a general purpose
comparison based sort is O(lgN!).
QuickSort uses 2NlnN ~= 1.38NlgN or ~1.38x the optimum without tuning
(see Knuth, Sedgewick, Corman, ... etc)
OTOH, QuickSort uses ~2x as many =moves= as the theoretical minimum
unless tuned, and moves are more expensive than compares in modern systems.

See my other posts for QuickSort tuning methods that attempt to
directly address both issues.

Ron

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Ron,

Ron wrote:

> ...and of course if you know enough about the data to be sorted so as to
> constrain it appropriately, one should use a non comparison based O(N)
> sorting algorithm rather than any of the general comparison based
> O(NlgN) methods.

Sounds interesting, could you give us some pointers (names, URLs,
papers) to such algorithms?

Thanks a lot,
Markus

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
Last night I implemented a non-recursive introsort in C... let me test it a bit more and then I'll post it here for everyone else to try out.

On 2/16/06, Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com> wrote:
Hi, Ron,

Ron wrote:

> ...and of course if you know enough about the data to be sorted so as to
> constrain it appropriately, one should use a non comparison based O(N)
> sorting algorithm rather than any of the general comparison based
> O(NlgN) methods.

Sounds interesting, could you give us some pointers (names, URLs,
papers) to such algorithms?

Thanks a lot,
Markus

Dipl. Inf.     | Software Development GIS

               http://archives.postgresql.org

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Date:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:22:55AM -0500, Ron wrote:
> 3= Especially in modern systems where the gap between internal CPU
> bandwidth and memory bandwidth is so great, the overhead of memory
> accesses for comparisons and moves is the majority of the overhead
> for both the pivot choosing and the partitioning algorithms within
> quicksort.  Particularly random memory accesses.  The reason (#GPRs -
> 1) is a magic constant is that it's the most you can compare and move
> using only register-to-register operations.

But how much of this applies to us? We're not sorting arrays of
integers, we're sorting pointers to tuples. So while moves cost very
little, a comparison costs hundreds, maybe thousands of cycles. A tuple
can easily be two or three cachelines and you're probably going to
access all of it, not to mention the Fmgr structures and the Datums
themselves.

None of this is cache friendly. The actual tuples themselves could be
spread all over memory (I don't think any particular effort is expended
trying to minimize fragmentation).

Do these algorithms discuss the case where a comparison is more than
1000 times the cost of a move?

Where this does become interesting is where we can convert a datum to
an integer such that if f(A) > f(B) then A > B. Then we can sort on
f(X) first with just integer comparisons and then do a full tuple
comparison only if f(A) = f(B). This would be much more cache-coherent
and make these algorithms much more applicable in my mind.

Have a nice day,

Date:
At 09:48 AM 2/16/2006, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:22:55AM -0500, Ron wrote:
> > 3= Especially in modern systems where the gap between internal CPU
> > bandwidth and memory bandwidth is so great, the overhead of memory
> > accesses for comparisons and moves is the majority of the overhead
> > for both the pivot choosing and the partitioning algorithms within
> > quicksort.  Particularly random memory accesses.  The reason (#GPRs -
> > 1) is a magic constant is that it's the most you can compare and move
> > using only register-to-register operations.
>
>But how much of this applies to us? We're not sorting arrays of
>integers, we're sorting pointers to tuples. So while moves cost very
>little, a comparison costs hundreds, maybe thousands of cycles. A tuple
>can easily be two or three cachelines and you're probably going to
>access all of it, not to mention the Fmgr structures and the Datums
>themselves.
Pointers are simply fixed size 32b or 64b quantities.  They are
essentially integers.  Comparing and moving pointers or fixed size
keys to those pointers is exactly the same problem as comparing and
moving integers.

Comparing =or= moving the actual data structures is a much more
expensive and variable cost proposition.  I'm sure that pg's sort
functionality is written intelligently enough that the only real data
moves are done in a final pass after the exact desired order has been
found using pointer compares and (re)assignments during the sorting
process.  That's a standard technique for sorting data whose "key" or
pointer is much smaller than a datum.

Your cost comment basically agrees with mine regarding the cost of
random memory accesses.  The good news is that the number of datums
to be examined during the pivot choosing process is small enough that
the datums can fit into CPU cache while the pointers to them can be
assigned to registers: making pivot choosing +very+ fast when done correctly.

As you've noted, actual partitioning is going to be more expensive
since it involves accessing enough actual datums that they can't all
fit into CPU cache.  The good news is that QuickSort has a very
sequential access pattern within its inner loop.  So while we must go
to memory for compares, we are at least keeping the cost for it down
it a minimum.  In addition, said access is nice enough to be very
prefetch and CPU cache hierarchy friendly.

>None of this is cache friendly. The actual tuples themselves could be
>spread all over memory (I don't think any particular effort is expended
>trying to minimize fragmentation).
It probably would be worth it to spend some effort on memory layout
just as we do for HD layout.

>Do these algorithms discuss the case where a comparison is more than
>1000 times the cost of a move?
A move is always more expensive than a compare when the datum is
larger than its pointer or key.  A move is always more expensive than
a compare when it involves memory to memory movement rather than CPU
location to CPU location movement.  A move is especially more
expensive than a compare when it involves both factors.  Most moves
do involve both.

What I suspect you meant is that a key comparison that involves
accessing the data in memory is more expensive than reassigning the
pointers associated with those keys.   That is certainly true.

Yes.  The problem has been extensively studied. ;-)

>Where this does become interesting is where we can convert a datum to
>an integer such that if f(A) > f(B) then A > B. Then we can sort on
>f(X) first with just integer comparisons and then do a full tuple
>comparison only if f(A) = f(B). This would be much more cache-coherent
>and make these algorithms much more applicable in my mind.
In fact we can do better.
Using hash codes or what-not to map datums to keys and then sorting
just the keys and the pointers to those datums followed by an
optional final pass where we do the actual data movement is also a
standard technique for handling large data structures.

Regardless of what tweaks beyond the basic algorithms we use, the
algorithms themselves have been well studied and their performance
well established.  QuickSort is the best performing of the O(nlgn)
comparison based sorts and it uses less resources than HeapSort or MergeSort.

Ron

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create

Date:
Ron <rjpeace@earthlink.net> writes:
> Your cost comment basically agrees with mine regarding the cost of
> random memory accesses.  The good news is that the number of datums
> to be examined during the pivot choosing process is small enough that
> the datums can fit into CPU cache while the pointers to them can be
> assigned to registers: making pivot choosing +very+ fast when done correctly.

This is more or less irrelevant given that comparing the pointers is not
the operation we need to do.

            regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
"Craig A. James"
Date:
Markus Schaber wrote:
> Ron wrote:
>>...and of course if you know enough about the data to be sorted so as to
>>constrain it appropriately, one should use a non comparison based O(N)
>>sorting algorithm rather than any of the general comparison based
>>O(NlgN) methods.
>
> Sounds interesting, could you give us some pointers (names, URLs,
> papers) to such algorithms?

Most of these techniques boil down to good ol' "bucket sort".  A simple example: suppose you have a column of integer
percentages,range zero to 100.  You know there are only 101 distinct values.  So create 101 "buckets" (e.g. linked
lists),make a single pass through your data and drop each row's ID into the right bucket, then make a second pass
throughthe buckets, and write the row ID's out in bucket order.  This is an O(N) sort technique.

Any time you have a restricted data range, you can do this.  Say you have 100 million rows of scientific results known
tobe good to only three digits -- it can have at most 1,000 distinct values (regardless of the magnitude of the
values),so you can do this with 1,000 buckets and just two passes through the data.

You can also use this trick when the optimizer is asked for "fastest first result."  Say you have a cursor on a column
ofnumbers with good distribution.  If you do a bucket sort on the first two or three digits only, you know the first
"page"of results will be in the first bucket.  So you only need to apply qsort to that first bucket (which is very
fast,since it's small), and you can deliver the first page of data to the application.  This can be particularly
effectivein interactive situations, where the user typically looks at a few pages of data and then abandons the search.

I doubt this is very relevant to Postgres.  A relational database has to be general purpose, and it's hard to give it
"hints"that would tell it when to use this particular optimization.

Craig

Date:
At 10:52 AM 2/16/2006, Ron wrote:
>At 09:48 AM 2/16/2006, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
>>Where this does become interesting is where we can convert a datum to
>>an integer such that if f(A) > f(B) then A > B. Then we can sort on
>>f(X) first with just integer comparisons and then do a full tuple
>>comparison only if f(A) = f(B). This would be much more cache-coherent
>>and make these algorithms much more applicable in my mind.
>In fact we can do better.
>Using hash codes or what-not to map datums to keys and then sorting
>just the keys and the pointers to those datums followed by an
>optional final pass where we do the actual data movement is also a
>standard technique for handling large data structures.
I thought some follow up might be in order here.

Let's pretend that we have the typical DB table where rows are ~2-4KB
apiece.  1TB of storage will let us have 256M-512M rows in such a table.

A 32b hash code can be assigned to each row value such that only
exactly equal rows will have the same hash code.
A 32b pointer can locate any of the 256M-512M rows.

Now instead of sorting 1TB of data we can sort 2^28 to 2^29 32b+32b=
64b*(2^28 to 2^29)=  2-4GB of pointers+keys followed by an optional
pass to rearrange the actual rows if we so wish.

We get the same result while only examining and manipulating 1/50 to
1/25 as much data during the sort.

If we want to spend more CPU time in order to save more space, we can
compress the key+pointer representation.  That usually reduces the
amount of data to be manipulated to ~1/4 the original key+pointer
representation, reducing things to ~512M-1GB worth of compressed
pointers+keys.  Or ~1/200 - ~1/100 the original amount of data we
were discussing.

Either representation is small enough to fit within RAM rather than
requiring HD IO, so we solve the HD IO bottleneck in the best
possible way: we avoid ever doing it.

Ron

Date:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:32:55AM -0500, Ron wrote:
> At 10:52 AM 2/16/2006, Ron wrote:
> >In fact we can do better.
> >Using hash codes or what-not to map datums to keys and then sorting
> >just the keys and the pointers to those datums followed by an
> >optional final pass where we do the actual data movement is also a
> >standard technique for handling large data structures.

Or in fact required if the Datums are not all the same size, which is
the case in PostgreSQL.

> I thought some follow up might be in order here.
>
> Let's pretend that we have the typical DB table where rows are ~2-4KB
> apiece.  1TB of storage will let us have 256M-512M rows in such a table.
>
> A 32b hash code can be assigned to each row value such that only
> exactly equal rows will have the same hash code.
> A 32b pointer can locate any of the 256M-512M rows.

That hash code is impossible the way you state it, since the set of
strings is not mappable to a 32bit integer. You probably meant that a
hash code can be assigned such that equal rows have equal hashes (drop
the only).

> Now instead of sorting 1TB of data we can sort 2^28 to 2^29 32b+32b=
> 64b*(2^28 to 2^29)=  2-4GB of pointers+keys followed by an optional
> pass to rearrange the actual rows if we so wish.
>
> We get the same result while only examining and manipulating 1/50 to
> 1/25 as much data during the sort.

But this is what we do now. The tuples are loaded, we sort an array of
pointers, then we write the output. Except we don't have the hash, so
we require access to the 1TB of data to do the actual comparisons. Even
if we did have the hash, we'd *still* need access to the data to handle
tie-breaks.

That's why your comment about moves always being more expensive than
compares makes no sense. A move can be acheived simply by swapping two
pointers in the array. A compare actually needs to call all sorts of
functions. If and only if we have functions for every data type to
produce an ordered hash, we can optimise sorts based on single
integers.

For reference, look at comparetup_heap(). It's just 20 lines, but each
function call there expands to maybe a dozen lines of code. And it has
a loop. I don't think we're anywhere near the stage where locality of
reference makes much difference.

We very rarely needs the tuples actualised in memory in the required
order, just the pointers are enough.

Have a ncie day,

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

Date:
"Craig A. James" <cjames@modgraph-usa.com> writes:
> You can also use this trick when the optimizer is asked for "fastest first result."  Say you have a cursor on a
columnof numbers with good distribution.  If you do a bucket sort on the first two or three digits only, you know the
first"page" of results will be in the first bucket.  So you only need to apply qsort to that first bucket (which is
veryfast, since it's small), and you can deliver the first page of data to the application.  This can be particularly
effectivein interactive situations, where the user typically looks at a few pages of data and then abandons the search.

> I doubt this is very relevant to Postgres.  A relational database has to be general purpose, and it's hard to give it
"hints"that would tell it when to use this particular optimization.

Actually, LIMIT does nicely for that hint; the PG planner has definitely
got a concept of preferring fast-start plans for limited queries.  The
real problem in applying bucket-sort ideas is the lack of any
datatype-independent way of setting up the buckets.

Once or twice we've kicked around the idea of having some
datatype-specific sorting code paths alongside the general-purpose one,
but I can't honestly see this as being workable from a code maintenance
standpoint.

            regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create

From
Scott Lamb
Date:
On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Ron wrote:
> Let's pretend that we have the typical DB table where rows are
> ~2-4KB apiece.  1TB of storage will let us have 256M-512M rows in
> such a table.
>
> A 32b hash code can be assigned to each row value such that only
> exactly equal rows will have the same hash code.
> A 32b pointer can locate any of the 256M-512M rows.
>
> Now instead of sorting 1TB of data we can sort 2^28 to 2^29 32b
> +32b= 64b*(2^28 to 2^29)=  2-4GB of pointers+keys followed by an
> optional pass to rearrange the actual rows if we so wish.

I don't understand this.

This is a true statement: (H(x) != H(y)) => (x != y)
This is not: (H(x) < H(y)) => (x < y)

Hash keys can tell you there's an inequality, but they can't tell you
how the values compare. If you want 32-bit keys that compare in the
same order as the original values, here's how you have to get them:

(1) sort the values into an array
(2) use each value's array index as its key

It reduces to the problem you're trying to use it to solve.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>

Date:
At 12:19 PM 2/16/2006, Scott Lamb wrote:
>On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Ron wrote:
>>Let's pretend that we have the typical DB table where rows are
>>~2-4KB apiece.  1TB of storage will let us have 256M-512M rows in
>>such a table.
>>
>>A 32b hash code can be assigned to each row value such that only
>>exactly equal rows will have the same hash code.
>>A 32b pointer can locate any of the 256M-512M rows.
>>
>>Now instead of sorting 1TB of data we can sort 2^28 to 2^29 32b
>>+32b= 64b*(2^28 to 2^29)=  2-4GB of pointers+keys followed by an
>>optional pass to rearrange the actual rows if we so wish.
>
>I don't understand this.
>
>This is a true statement: (H(x) != H(y)) => (x != y)
>This is not: (H(x) < H(y)) => (x < y)
>
>Hash keys can tell you there's an inequality, but they can't tell you
>how the values compare. If you want 32-bit keys that compare in the
>same order as the original values, here's how you have to get them:
For most hash codes, you are correct.  There is a class of hash or
hash-like codes that maintains the mapping to support that second statement.

More later when I can get more time.
Ron

Date:
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 12:35 +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> glibc-2.3.5/stdlib/qsort.c:
>
>   /* Order size using quicksort.  This implementation incorporates
>      four optimizations discussed in Sedgewick:
>
> I can't see any references to merge sort in there at all.

stdlib/qsort.c defines _quicksort(), not qsort(), which is defined by
msort.c. On looking closer, it seems glibc actually tries to determine
the physical memory in the machine -- if it is sorting a single array
that exceeds 1/4 of the machine's physical memory, it uses quick sort,
otherwise it uses merge sort.

-Neil

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Mark Lewis
Date:
> Once or twice we've kicked around the idea of having some
> datatype-specific sorting code paths alongside the general-purpose one,
> but I can't honestly see this as being workable from a code maintenance
> standpoint.
>
>             regards, tom lane

It seems that instead of maintaining a different sorting code path for
each data type, you could get away with one generic path and one
(hopefully faster) path if you allowed data types to optionally support
a 'sortKey' interface by providing a function f which maps inputs to 32-
bit int outputs, such that the following two properties hold:

f(a)>=f(b) iff a>=b
if a==b then f(a)==f(b)

So if a data type supports the sortKey interface you could perform the
sort on f(value) and only refer back to the actual element comparison
functions when two sortKeys have the same value.

Data types which could probably provide a useful function for f would be
int2, int4, oid, and possibly int8 and text (at least for SQL_ASCII).

Depending on the overhead, you might not even need to maintain 2
independent search code paths, since you could always use f(x)=0 as the
default sortKey function which would degenerate to the exact same sort
behavior in use today.

-- Mark Lewis

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Mark,

Mark Lewis schrieb:

> It seems that instead of maintaining a different sorting code path for
> each data type, you could get away with one generic path and one
> (hopefully faster) path if you allowed data types to optionally support
> a 'sortKey' interface by providing a function f which maps inputs to 32-
> bit int outputs, such that the following two properties hold:
>
> f(a)>=f(b) iff a>=b
> if a==b then f(a)==f(b)

Hmm, to remove redundancy, I'd change the <= to a < and define:

if a==b then f(a)==f(b)
if a<b  then f(a)<=f(b)

> Data types which could probably provide a useful function for f would be
> int2, int4, oid, and possibly int8 and text (at least for SQL_ASCII).

With int2 or some restricted ranges of oid and int4, we could even
implement a bucket sort.

Markus

Date:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:17:36PM -0800, Mark Lewis wrote:
> It seems that instead of maintaining a different sorting code path for
> each data type, you could get away with one generic path and one
> (hopefully faster) path if you allowed data types to optionally support
> a 'sortKey' interface by providing a function f which maps inputs to 32-
> bit int outputs, such that the following two properties hold:
>
> f(a)>=f(b) iff a>=b
> if a==b then f(a)==f(b)

Note this is a property of the collation, not the type. For example
strings can be sorted in many ways and the sortKey must reflect that.
So in postgres terms it's a property of the btree operator class.

It's something I'd like to do if I get A Round Tuit. :)

Have a nice day,

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Greg Stark
Date:
Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com> writes:

> Hmm, to remove redundancy, I'd change the <= to a < and define:
>
> if a==b then f(a)==f(b)
> if a<b  then f(a)<=f(b)
>
> > Data types which could probably provide a useful function for f would be
> > int2, int4, oid, and possibly int8 and text (at least for SQL_ASCII).

How exactly do you imagine doing this for text?

I could see doing it for char(n)/varchar(n) where n<=4 in SQL_ASCII though.

--
greg

Date:
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 17:51 -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> > > Data types which could probably provide a useful function for f would be
> > > int2, int4, oid, and possibly int8 and text (at least for SQL_ASCII).
>
> How exactly do you imagine doing this for text?
>
> I could see doing it for char(n)/varchar(n) where n<=4 in SQL_ASCII though.

In SQL_ASCII, just take the first 4 characters (or 8, if using a 64-bit
sortKey as elsewhere suggested).  The sorting key doesn't need to be a
one-to-one mapping.

-- Mark Lewis

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
David Lang
Date:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Mark Lewis wrote:

>> How exactly do you imagine doing this for text?
>>
>> I could see doing it for char(n)/varchar(n) where n<=4 in SQL_ASCII though.
>

> In SQL_ASCII, just take the first 4 characters (or 8, if using a 64-bit
> sortKey as elsewhere suggested).  The sorting key doesn't need to be a
> one-to-one mapping.

that would violate your second contraint ( f(a)==f(b) iff (a==b) )

if you could drop that constraint (the cost of which would be extra 'real'
compares within a bucket) then a helper function per datatype could work
as you are talking.

David Lang

Date:
At 01:47 PM 2/16/2006, Ron wrote:
>At 12:19 PM 2/16/2006, Scott Lamb wrote:
>>On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Ron wrote:
>>>Let's pretend that we have the typical DB table where rows are
>>>~2-4KB apiece.  1TB of storage will let us have 256M-512M rows in
>>>such a table.
>>>
>>>A 32b hash code can be assigned to each row value such that only
>>>exactly equal rows will have the same hash code.
>>>A 32b pointer can locate any of the 256M-512M rows.
>>>
>>>Now instead of sorting 1TB of data we can sort 2^28 to 2^29 32b
>>>+32b= 64b*(2^28 to 2^29)=  2-4GB of pointers+keys followed by an
>>>optional pass to rearrange the actual rows if we so wish.
>>
>>I don't understand this.
>>
>>This is a true statement: (H(x) != H(y)) => (x != y)
>>This is not: (H(x) < H(y)) => (x < y)
>>
>>Hash keys can tell you there's an inequality, but they can't tell you
>>how the values compare. If you want 32-bit keys that compare in the
>>same order as the original values, here's how you have to get them:
>For most hash codes, you are correct.  There is a class of hash or
>hash-like codes that maintains the mapping to support that second statement.
>
>More later when I can get more time.
>Ron

OK, so here's _a_ way (there are others) to obtain a mapping such that
  if a < b then f(a) < f (b) and
  if a == b then f(a) == f(b)

Pretend each row is a integer of row size (so a 2KB row becomes a
16Kb integer; a 4KB row becomes a 32Kb integer; etc)
Since even a 1TB table made of such rows can only have 256M - 512M
possible values even if each row is unique, a 28b or 29b key is large
enough to represent each row's value and relative rank compared to
all of the others even if all row values are unique.

By scanning the table once, we can map say 0000001h (Hex used to ease
typing) to the row with the minimum value and 1111111h to the row
with the maximum value as well as mapping everything in between to
their appropriate keys.  That same scan can be used to assign a
pointer to each record's location.

We can now sort the key+pointer pairs instead of the actual data and
use an optional final pass to rearrange the actual rows if we wish.

That initial scan to set up the keys is expensive, but if we wish
that cost can be amortized over the life of the table so we don't
have to pay it all at once.  In addition, once we have created those
keys, then can be saved for later searches and sorts.

Further space savings can be obtained whenever there are duplicate
keys and/or when compression methods are used on the Key+pointer pairs.

Ron

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, David,

David Lang schrieb:

>> In SQL_ASCII, just take the first 4 characters (or 8, if using a 64-bit
>> sortKey as elsewhere suggested).  The sorting key doesn't need to be a
>> one-to-one mapping.

> that would violate your second contraint ( f(a)==f(b) iff (a==b) )

no, it doesn't.

When both strings are equal, then the first characters are equal, too.

If they are not equal, the constraint condition does not match.

The first characters of the strings may be equal as f(a) may be equal to
f(b) as to the other constraint.

Markus

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Ron,

Ron schrieb:

> OK, so here's _a_ way (there are others) to obtain a mapping such that
>  if a < b then f(a) < f (b) and
>  if a == b then f(a) == f(b)
>
> Pretend each row is a integer of row size (so a 2KB row becomes a 16Kb
> integer; a 4KB row becomes a 32Kb integer; etc)
> Since even a 1TB table made of such rows can only have 256M - 512M
> possible values even if each row is unique, a 28b or 29b key is large
> enough to represent each row's value and relative rank compared to all
> of the others even if all row values are unique.
>
> By scanning the table once, we can map say 0000001h (Hex used to ease
> typing) to the row with the minimum value and 1111111h to the row with
> the maximum value as well as mapping everything in between to their
> appropriate keys.  That same scan can be used to assign a pointer to
> each record's location.

But with a single linear scan, this cannot be accomplished, as the table
contents are neither sorted nor distributed linearly between the minimum
and the maximum.

For this mapping, you need a full table sort.

> That initial scan to set up the keys is expensive, but if we wish that
> cost can be amortized over the life of the table so we don't have to pay
> it all at once.  In addition, once we have created those keys, then can
> be saved for later searches and sorts.

But for every update or insert, you have to resort the keys, which is
_very_ expensive as it basically needs to update a huge part of the table.

Markus

Date:
At 04:24 AM 2/17/2006, Ragnar wrote:
>On fös, 2006-02-17 at 01:20 -0500, Ron wrote:
> >
> > OK, so here's _a_ way (there are others) to obtain a mapping such that
> >   if a < b then f(a) < f (b) and
> >   if a == b then f(a) == f(b)
>
> > By scanning the table once, we can map say 0000001h (Hex used to ease
> > typing) to the row with the minimum value and 1111111h to the row
> > with the maximum value as well as mapping everything in between to
> > their appropriate keys.  That same scan can be used to assign a
> > pointer to each record's location.
>
>This step is just as expensive as the original
>sort you want to replace/improve.

Why do you think that?  External sorts involve
the equivalent of multiple scans of the table to
be sorted, sometimes more than lgN (where N is
the number of items in the table to be
sorted).  Since this is physical IO we are
talking about, each scan is very expensive, and
therefore 1 scan is going to take considerably
less time than >= lgN scans will be.

>If you want to keep this mapping saved as a sort
>of an index, or as part ot each row data, this
>will make the cost of inserts and updates enormous.

Not sure you've got this right either.  Looks to
me like we are adding a <= 32b quantity to each
row.  Once we know the mapping, incrementally
updating it upon insert or update would seem to
be simple matter of a fast search for the correct
ranking [Interpolation search, which we have all
the needed data for, is O(lglgN).  Hash based
search is O(1)]; plus an increment/decrement of
the key values greater/less than the key value of
the row being inserted / updated.  Given than we
are updating all the keys in a specific range
within a tree structure, that update can be done
in O(lgm) (where m is the number of records affected).

> >  We can now sort the key+pointer pairs instead of the actual data and
> > use an optional final pass to rearrange the actual rows if we wish.
>
>How are you suggesting this mapping be accessed?
>If the mapping is kept separate from the tuple
>data, as in an index, then how will you look up the key?
???  We've effectively created a data set where
each record is a pointer to a DB row plus its
key.  We can now sort the data set by key and
then do an optional final pass to rearrange the
actual DB rows if we so wish.  Since that final
pass is very expensive, it is good that not all
use scenarios will need that final pass.

The amount of storage required to sort this
representation of the table rather than the
actual table is so much less that it turns an
external sorting problem into a internal sorting
problem with an optional final pass that is =1=
scan (albeit one scan with a lot of seeks and
data movement).  This is a big win.  It is a
variation of a well known technique.  See Sedgewick, Knuth, etc.

> > That initial scan to set up the keys is expensive, but if we wish
> > that cost can be amortized over the life of the table so we don't
> > have to pay it all at once.  In addition, once we have created those
> > keys, then can be saved for later searches and sorts.
>
>What is the use case where this would work better than a
>regular btree index ?
Again, ???  btree indexes address different
issues.  They do not in any way help create a
compact data representation of the original data
that saves enough space so as to turn an external
ranking or sorting problem into an internal one.

Ron

Date:
At 05:19 AM 2/17/2006, Markus Schaber wrote:
>Hi, Ron,
>
>Ron schrieb:
>
> > OK, so here's _a_ way (there are others) to obtain a mapping such that
> >  if a < b then f(a) < f (b) and
> >  if a == b then f(a) == f(b)
> >
> > Pretend each row is a integer of row size (so a 2KB row becomes a 16Kb
> > integer; a 4KB row becomes a 32Kb integer; etc)
> > Since even a 1TB table made of such rows can only have 256M - 512M
> > possible values even if each row is unique, a 28b or 29b key is large
> > enough to represent each row's value and relative rank compared to all
> > of the others even if all row values are unique.
> >
> > By scanning the table once, we can map say 0000001h (Hex used to ease
> > typing) to the row with the minimum value and 1111111h to the row with
> > the maximum value as well as mapping everything in between to their
> > appropriate keys.  That same scan can be used to assign a pointer to
> > each record's location.
>
>But with a single linear scan, this cannot be accomplished, as the table
>contents are neither sorted nor distributed linearly between the minimum
>and the maximum.
So what?  We are talking about key assignment here, not anything that
requires physically manipulating the actual DB rows.
One physical IO pass should be all that's needed.

>For this mapping, you need a full table sort.
One physical IO pass should be all that's needed.  However, let's
pretend you are correct and that we do need to sort the table to get
the key mapping.  Even so, we would only need to do it =once= and
then we would be able to use and incrementally update the results
forever afterward.  Even under this assumption, one external sort to
save all subsequent such sorts seems well worth it.

IOW, even if I'm wrong about the initial cost to do this; it is still
worth doing ;-)

> > That initial scan to set up the keys is expensive, but if we wish that
> > cost can be amortized over the life of the table so we don't have to pay
> > it all at once.  In addition, once we have created those keys, then can
> > be saved for later searches and sorts.
>
>But for every update or insert, you have to resort the keys, which is
>_very_ expensive as it basically needs to update a huge part of the table.

??? You do not need to resort already ordered data to insert a new
element into it such that the data stays ordered!  Once we have done
the key ordering operation once, we should not ever need to do it
again on the original data.  Else most sorting algorithms wouldn't work ;-)

Ron

Date:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:23:40AM -0500, Ron wrote:
> >For this mapping, you need a full table sort.
> One physical IO pass should be all that's needed.  However, let's
> pretend you are correct and that we do need to sort the table to get
> the key mapping.  Even so, we would only need to do it =once= and
> then we would be able to use and incrementally update the results
> forever afterward.  Even under this assumption, one external sort to
> save all subsequent such sorts seems well worth it.
>
> IOW, even if I'm wrong about the initial cost to do this; it is still
> worth doing ;-)

I think you're talking about something different here. You're thinking
of having the whole table sorted and when you add a new value you add
it in such a way to keep it sorted. The problem is, what do you sort it
by? If you've sorted the table by col1, then when the user does ORDER
BY col2 it's useless.

Indeed, this is what btrees do, you store the order of the table
seperate from the data. And you can store multiple orders. But even
then, when someone does ORDER BY lower(col1), it's still useless.

And you're right, we still need to do the single mass sort in the
beginning, which is precisely what we're trying to optimise here.

> ??? You do not need to resort already ordered data to insert a new
> element into it such that the data stays ordered!  Once we have done
> the key ordering operation once, we should not ever need to do it
> again on the original data.  Else most sorting algorithms wouldn't work ;-)

We already do this with btree indexes. I'm not sure what you are
proposing that improves on that.

Have a nice day,

Date:
On Feb 16, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Mark Lewis wrote:

Data types which could probably provide a useful function for f would be

int2, int4, oid, and possibly int8 and text (at least for SQL_ASCII).

...and with some work, floats (I think just the exponent would work, if nothing else). bytea. Probably just about anything.

Interesting. If you abandon the idea that collisions should be impossible (they're not indexes) or extremely rare (they're not hashes), it's pretty easy to come up with a decent hint to avoid a lot of dereferences.

--

Date:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:18:41AM -0800, Scott Lamb wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Mark Lewis wrote:
> >Data types which could probably provide a useful function for f
> >would be
> >int2, int4, oid, and possibly int8 and text (at least for SQL_ASCII).
>
> ...and with some work, floats (I think just the exponent would work,
> if nothing else). bytea. Probably just about anything.
>
> Interesting. If you abandon the idea that collisions should be
> impossible (they're not indexes) or extremely rare (they're not
> hashes), it's pretty easy to come up with a decent hint to avoid a
> lot of dereferences.

Yep, pretty much for any datatype you create a mapping function to map
it to a signed int32. All you have to guarentee is that f(a) > f(b)
implies that a > b. Only if f(a) == f(b) do you need to compare a and
b.

You then change the sorting code to have an array of (Datum,int32)
(ouch, double the storage) where the int32 is the f(Datum). And in the
comparison routines you first check the int32. If they give an order
you're done. On match you do the full comparison.

For integer types (int2,int4,int8,oid) the conversion is straight
forward. For float you'd use the exponent and the first few bits of the
mantissa. For strings you'd have to bail, or use a strxfrm equivalent.
NULL would be INT_MAX pr INT_MIN depending on where you want it. Thing
is, even if you don't have such a function and always return zero, the
results will still be right.

Not a new idea, but it would be very nice to implement. If would
produce nice speedups for type where comparisons are expensive. And
more importantly, the bulk of the comparisons can be moved inline and
make the whole cache-friendlyness discussed here much more meaningful.

Have a nice day,

Date:
At 10:53 AM 2/17/2006, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:23:40AM -0500, Ron wrote:
> > >For this mapping, you need a full table sort.
> > One physical IO pass should be all that's needed.  However, let's
> > pretend you are correct and that we do need to sort the table to get
> > the key mapping.  Even so, we would only need to do it =once= and
> > then we would be able to use and incrementally update the results
> > forever afterward.  Even under this assumption, one external sort to
> > save all subsequent such sorts seems well worth it.
> >
> > IOW, even if I'm wrong about the initial cost to do this; it is still
> > worth doing ;-)
>
>I think you're talking about something different here. You're thinking
>of having the whole table sorted and when you add a new value you add
>it in such a way to keep it sorted. The problem is, what do you sort it
>by? If you've sorted the table by col1, then when the user does ORDER
>BY col2 it's useless.
No, I'm thinking about how to represent DB row data in such a way that
a= we use a compact enough representation that we can sort internally
rather than externally.
b= we do the sort once and avoid most of the overhead upon subsequent
similar requests.

I used the example of sorting on the entire row to show that the
approach works even when the original record being sorted by is very large.
All my previous comments on this topic hold for the case where we are
sorting on only part of a row as well.

If all you are doing is sorting on a column or a few columns, what
I'm discussing is even easier since treating the columns actually
being used a sort criteria as integers rather than the whole row as
an atomic unit eats less resources during the key creation and
mapping process.  If the row is 2-4KB in size, but we only care about
some combination of columns that only takes on <= 2^8 or <= 2^16
different values, then what I've described will be even better than
the original example I gave.

Basically, the range of a key is going to be restricted by how
a= big the field is that represents the key (columns and such are
usually kept narrow for performance reasons) or
b= big each row is (the more space each row takes, the fewer rows fit
into any given amount of storage)
c= many rows there are in the table
Between the conditions, the range of a key tends to be severely
restricted and therefore use much less space than sorting the actual
DB records would.  ...and that gives us something we can take advantage of.

>Indeed, this is what btrees do, you store the order of the table
>seperate from the data. And you can store multiple orders. But even
>then, when someone does ORDER BY lower(col1), it's still useless.
>
>And you're right, we still need to do the single mass sort in the
>beginning, which is precisely what we're trying to optimise here.
Sigh.  My points were:
1= we have information available to us that allows us to map the rows
in such a way as to turn most external sorts into internal sorts,
thereby avoiding the entire external sorting problem in those
cases.  This is a huge performance improvement.

2= that an external sort is =NOT= required for initial key
assignment, but even if it was it would be worth it.

3= that this is a variation of a well known technique so I'm not
suggesting heresy here.

Ron

Date:
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 21:33 -0800, David Lang wrote:
> > In SQL_ASCII, just take the first 4 characters (or 8, if using a 64-bit
> > sortKey as elsewhere suggested).  The sorting key doesn't need to be a
> > one-to-one mapping.
>
> that would violate your second contraint ( f(a)==f(b) iff (a==b) )
>
> if you could drop that constraint (the cost of which would be extra 'real'
> compares within a bucket) then a helper function per datatype could work
> as you are talking.

I think we're actually on the same page here; you're right that the
constraint above ( f(a)==f(b) iff a==b ) can't be extended to data types
with more than 32 bits of value space.  But the constraint I listed was
actually:

if a==b then f(a)==f(b)

Which doesn't imply 'if and only if'.  It's a similar constraint to
hashcodes; the same value will always have the same hash, but you're not
guaranteed that the hashcodes for two distinct values will be unique.

-- Mark

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create

From
Ragnar
Date:
On fös, 2006-02-17 at 08:01 -0500, Ron wrote:
> At 04:24 AM 2/17/2006, Ragnar wrote:
> >On fös, 2006-02-17 at 01:20 -0500, Ron wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, so here's _a_ way (there are others) to obtain a mapping such that
> > >   if a < b then f(a) < f (b) and
> > >   if a == b then f(a) == f(b)
> >
> > > By scanning the table once, we can map say 0000001h (Hex used to ease
> > > typing) to the row with the minimum value and 1111111h to the row
> > > with the maximum value as well as mapping everything in between to
> > > their appropriate keys.  That same scan can be used to assign a
> > > pointer to each record's location.
> >
> >This step is just as expensive as the original
> >sort you want to replace/improve.
>
> Why do you think that?  External sorts involve
> the equivalent of multiple scans of the table to
> be sorted, sometimes more than lgN (where N is
> the number of items in the table to be
> sorted).  Since this is physical IO we are
> talking about, each scan is very expensive, and
> therefore 1 scan is going to take considerably
> less time than >= lgN scans will be.

Call me dim, but please explain exactly how you are going
to build this mapping in one scan. Are you assuming
the map will fit in memory?

> >If you want to keep this mapping saved as a sort
> >of an index, or as part ot each row data, this
> >will make the cost of inserts and updates enormous.
>
> Not sure you've got this right either.  Looks to
> me like we are adding a <= 32b quantity to each
> row.  Once we know the mapping, incrementally
> updating it upon insert or update would seem to
> be simple matter of a fast search for the correct
> ranking [Interpolation search, which we have all
> the needed data for, is O(lglgN).  Hash based
> search is O(1)]; plus an increment/decrement of
> the key values greater/less than the key value of
> the row being inserted / updated.  Given than we
> are updating all the keys in a specific range
> within a tree structure, that update can be done
> in O(lgm) (where m is the number of records affected).

Say again ?
Let us say you have 1 billion rows, where the
column in question contains strings like
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....aaa
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....aab
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....aac
not necessarily in this order on disc of course

The minimum value would be keyed as 00000001h,
the next one as 00000002h and so on.

Now insert new value 'aaaaa'

Not only will you have to update 1 billion records,
but also all the values in your map.

please explain

gnari

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index

Date:
Mark Lewis <mark.lewis@mir3.com> writes:
> I think we're actually on the same page here; you're right that the
> constraint above ( f(a)==f(b) iff a==b ) can't be extended to data types
> with more than 32 bits of value space.  But the constraint I listed was
> actually:

> if a==b then f(a)==f(b)

I believe Martijn had it right: the important constraint is

    f(a) > f(b) implies a > b

which implies by commutativity

    f(a) < f(b) implies a < b

and these two together imply

    a == b implies f(a) == f(b)

Now you can't do any sorting if you only have the equality rule, you
need the inequality rule.

            regards, tom lane

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create

From
"Gregory Maxwell"
Date:
On 2/17/06, Ragnar <gnari@hive.is> wrote:
> Say again ?
> Let us say you have 1 billion rows, where the
> column in question contains strings like
> baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....aaa
> baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....aab
> baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....aac
> not necessarily in this order on disc of course
>
> The minimum value would be keyed as 00000001h,
> the next one as 00000002h and so on.
>
> Now insert new value 'aaaaa'
>
> Not only will you have to update 1 billion records,
> but also all the values in your map.
>
> please explain

No comment on the usefulness of the idea overall.. but the solution
would be to insert with the colliding value of the existing one lesser
than it..

It will falsly claim equal, which you then must fix with a second
local sort which should be fast because you only need to sort the
duplicates/false dupes.  If you insert too much then this obviously
becomes completely useless.

Date:
At 08:37 PM 2/15/2006, Dann Corbit wrote:

>Adding some randomness to the selection of the pivot is a known
>technique to fix the oddball partitions problem.

True, but it makes QuickSort slower than say MergeSort because of the
expense of the PRNG being called ~O(lgN) times during a sort.

>However, Bentley and Sedgewick proved that every quick sort
>algorithm has some input set that makes it go quadratic

Yep.  OTOH, that input set can be so specific and so unusual as to
require astronomically unlikely bad luck or hostile hacking in order
for it to actually occur.

>  (hence the recent popularity of introspective sort, which switches
> to heapsort if quadratic behavior is detected.  The C++ template I
> submitted was an example of introspective sort, but PostgreSQL does
> not use C++ so it was not helpful).
...and there are other QuickSort+Other hybrids that address the issue
as well.  MergeSort, RadixExchangeSort, and BucketSort all come to
mind.  See Gonnet and Baeza-Yates, etc.

>Here are some cases known to make qsort go quadratic:
>1. Data already sorted

Only if one element is used to choose the pivot; _and_ only if the
pivot is the first or last element of each pass.
Even just always using the middle element as the pivot avoids this
problem.  See Sedgewick or Knuth.

>2. Data reverse sorted

Ditto above.

>3. Data organ-pipe sorted or ramp

Not sure what this means?  Regardless, median of n partitioning that
includes samples from each of the 1st 1/3, 2nd 1/3, and final 3rd of
the data is usually enough to guarantee O(NlgN) behavior unless the
_specific_ distribution known to be pessimal to that sampling
algorithm is encountered.  The only times I've ever seen it ITRW was
as a result of hostile activity: purposely arranging the data in such
a manner is essentially a DoS attack.

>4. Almost all data of the same value

Well known fixes to inner loop available to avoid this problem.

>There are probably other cases.  Randomizing the pivot helps some,
>as does check for in-order or reverse order partitions.
Randomizing the choice of pivot essentially guarantees O(NlgN)
behavior no matter what the distribution of the data at the price of
increasing the cost of each pass by a constant factor (the generation
of a random number or numbers).

In sum, QuickSort gets all sorts of bad press that is far more FUD
than fact ITRW.
Ron.

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

Added to TODO:

    * Improve port/qsort() to handle sorts with 50% unique and 50% duplicate
      value [qsort]

      This involves choosing better pivot points for the quicksort.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: qsort again (was Re: [PERFORM] Strange Create Index behaviour)

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
My introsort is almost complete and its the fastest variant of quicksort I can find, I'll submit it to -patches in the next couple days as-well.

Dann Corbit wrote:

> [...]

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

--

Date:
Last month I wrote:
> It seems clear that our qsort.c is doing a pretty awful job of picking
> qsort pivots, while glibc is mostly managing not to make that mistake.

I re-ran Gary's test script using the just-committed improvements to
qsort.c, and got pretty nice numbers (attached --- compare to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-02/msg00227.php).
So it was wrong to blame his problems on the pivot selection --- the
culprit was that ill-considered switch to insertion sort.

            regards, tom lane

100 runtimes for latest port/qsort.c, sorted ascending:

Time: 335.481 ms
Time: 335.606 ms
Time: 335.932 ms
Time: 336.039 ms