New timezone data

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
I see that new timezone data is available at

ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/

It looks like the only changes from PostgreSQL's current data involve
Kyrgyzstan and Uruguay.  What's the policy on keeping the source
code up to date?  Does the data change too often to bother except
just before a release?

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: New timezone data

Date:
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> I see that new timezone data is available at
>
> ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/
>
> It looks like the only changes from PostgreSQL's current data involve
> Kyrgyzstan and Uruguay.  What's the policy on keeping the source
> code up to date?  Does the data change too often to bother except
> just before a release?

Yea, probably.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: New timezone data

From
Andrew Dunstan

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Michael Fuhr wrote:
>

>>I see that new timezone data is available at
>>
>>ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/
>>
>>It looks like the only changes from PostgreSQL's current data involve
>>Kyrgyzstan and Uruguay.  What's the policy on keeping the source
>>code up to date?  Does the data change too often to bother except
>>just before a release?
>>

>Yea, probably.

There's nothing magical about the files, is there? A user should be able
to plug in a zic-compiled zone file from just about anywhere if they
really need it, without having to update postgres, or I have badly
misunderstood how we handle things. Of course, your OS might not come
with such things (e.g. Windows), but it should not be a very big deal to
obtain the file.

cheers

amdrew

Re: New timezone data

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 07:02:07PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> There's nothing magical about the files, is there? A user should be able
> to plug in a zic-compiled zone file from just about anywhere if they
> really need it, without having to update postgres, or I have badly
> misunderstood how we handle things.

Sure users can do that if they need to; I was just wondering about
the policy for keeping the source code current.  I do see an item
in src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES suggesting that releases should have
the latest timezone data:

* Update timezone data to match latest zic database (see src/timezone/README)

So in case anybody was going to check on that prior to the upcoming
8.1 release candidate, there is new timezone data available (2005n
vs. the current 2005m) but it appears to have only minor changes
for Kyrgyzstan and Uruguay.  If anybody wants, I'll submit a patch.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: New timezone data

Date:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> * Update timezone data to match latest zic database (see src/timezone/README)

> So in case anybody was going to check on that prior to the upcoming
> 8.1 release candidate, there is new timezone data available (2005n
> vs. the current 2005m) but it appears to have only minor changes
> for Kyrgyzstan and Uruguay.  If anybody wants, I'll submit a patch.

We don't do that via patches ... the procedure is "download tarball,
copy into appropriate subdirectory, commit".  (At least when the update
isn't modifying the PST8PDT rules ;-))

But given that 2005m is only a month or so old, I wasn't planning to
bother with another update before release.  2005n will be obsolete too
in another month ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: New timezone data

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 06:53:30PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> So in case anybody was going to check on that prior to the upcoming
> 8.1 release candidate, there is new timezone data available (2005n
> vs. the current 2005m) but it appears to have only minor changes
> for Kyrgyzstan and Uruguay.  If anybody wants, I'll submit a patch.

The only change of real significanace was the US government changing
the daylight saving times for the coming years. We should probably make
clear somewhere that updating your OS doesn't fix the issue for
PostgreSQL.

But then, that's scheduled for 2007 so not exactly a real issue
currently...

Have a nice day,