Updated documentation for new sequence binding

Date:
I have marged Tom's description of the new sequence binding with text I
was working on.  I modified it to follow the existing "we used to do X,
now we do Y" pattern in the surrounding entries:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/pgsql/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

I also added an SQL query that will show and update a pre-8.1 loaded
schema to the new oid-based sequence storage use.

Re: Updated documentation for new sequence binding

pgman wrote:
> I have marged Tom's description of the new sequence binding with text I
> was working on.  I modified it to follow the existing "we used to do X,
> now we do Y" pattern in the surrounding entries:
>
>     http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/pgsql/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

Sorry, this is a better URL:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

Re: Updated documentation for new sequence binding

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> pgman wrote:
>> I have marged Tom's description of the new sequence binding with text I
>> was working on.  I modified it to follow the existing "we used to do X,
>> now we do Y" pattern in the surrounding entries:
>>
>> http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/pgsql/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> Sorry, this is a better URL:
>
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

Btw. I think the header "Add proper sequence function dependencies for
DEFAULT" is in the wrong font, i.e. it's all monospace.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

Re: Updated documentation for new sequence binding

Date:
Thanks, fixed.

Michael Paesold wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > pgman wrote:
> >> I have marged Tom's description of the new sequence binding with text I
> >> was working on.  I modified it to follow the existing "we used to do X,
> >> now we do Y" pattern in the surrounding entries:
> >>
> >> http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/pgsql/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > Sorry, this is a better URL:
> >
> > http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> Btw. I think the header "Add proper sequence function dependencies for
> DEFAULT" is in the wrong font, i.e. it's all monospace.
>
> Best Regards
> Michael Paesold

Re: [DOCS] Updated documentation for new sequence binding

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 10:54:10PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> pgman wrote:
> > I have marged Tom's description of the new sequence binding with text I
> > was working on.  I modified it to follow the existing "we used to do X,
> > now we do Y" pattern in the surrounding entries:
> >
> >     http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/pgsql/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> Sorry, this is a better URL:
>
>     http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

Out of curiosity, how is this file maintained as development is done?
The reason I'm asking is because it would be nice to have links to more
information, especially for the 'one-liner' items in 1.3.1 for example,
and it seems like that would be easier to do along-the-way rather than
waiting for the end. Even a link to a mailing list discussion would be
better than nothing...

That said, what's

 Improve the optimizer, including auto-resizing of hash joins (Tom)

mean?

On full_page_writes, are we certain that all battery-backed disk caches
ensure that partial-page writes can't happen?

Maybe pg_column_size should just be included in the item for all the
other size functions brought into the backend? If not, ISTM they should
at least be one after the other in the list...

Finally, weren't more changes made it contrib than what's listed?
Nothing's said about pg_autovacuum for example.

Re: [DOCS] Updated documentation for new sequence binding

Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 10:54:10PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > pgman wrote:
> > > I have marged Tom's description of the new sequence binding with text I
> > > was working on.  I modified it to follow the existing "we used to do X,
> > > now we do Y" pattern in the surrounding entries:
> > >
> > >     http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/pgsql/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > Sorry, this is a better URL:
> >
> >     http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> Out of curiosity, how is this file maintained as development is done?
> The reason I'm asking is because it would be nice to have links to more
> information, especially for the 'one-liner' items in 1.3.1 for example,
> and it seems like that would be easier to do along-the-way rather than
> waiting for the end. Even a link to a mailing list discussion would be
> better than nothing...

I go through the CVS commits and make the release notes just before
beta.  During it incrementally is much more work.

> That said, what's
>
>  Improve the optimizer, including auto-resizing of hash joins (Tom)
>
> mean?

We would sometimes fail in a query where the allocated memory was larger
than our hash could hold.  This fixed that.

> On full_page_writes, are we certain that all battery-backed disk caches
> ensure that partial-page writes can't happen?

Well, I would think so, but I have no documentation to state that.  The
battery-backed memory is supposed to allow for power failure and keep
writes in the cache until they hit the disk.

> Maybe pg_column_siz should just be included in the item for all the
> other size functions brought into the backend? If not, ISTM they should
> at least be one after the other in the list...

Not really.  It is different in that is does not aggregate values, but
just the storage of a column.

> Finally, weren't more changes made it contrib than what's listed?
> Nothing's said about pg_autovacuum for example.

Moved to the main server.  That is mentioned.