pg_autovacuum settings not saved on dump

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hi,

Robert Treat reminded me the other day that we don't currently save
pg_autovacuum settings on pg_dump.  This is expected, because we don't
want to dump pg_autovacuum as a regular table, or it would force us to
accept loading that forever; nor we do have ALTER TABLE commands to do
it on a higher level, because there wasn't agreement that it should be
implemented this early on autovacuum's life.

Expected or not, fact is it's not user friendly.  We should at least
document this somewhere so users can take care of it by themselves.  Not
sure where does it belong though.  The autovacuum section, the backup
section?  Does it merit a mention on the release notes?

Suggestions welcome.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile         Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"¿Que diferencia tiene para los muertos, los huérfanos, y aquellos que han

Re: pg_autovacuum settings not saved on dump

Date:
> Expected or not, fact is it's not user friendly.  We should at least
> document this somewhere so users can take care of it by themselves.  Not
> sure where does it belong though.  The autovacuum section, the backup
> section?  Does it merit a mention on the release notes?

Wherever we document that those settings exist at all (which is not real
prominent AFAIR).
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_autovacuum settings not saved on dump

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 15 September 2005 15:41, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Robert Treat reminded me the other day that we don't currently save
> pg_autovacuum settings on pg_dump.
<snip>
> Does it merit a mention on the release notes?

ISTM this is a backwards incompatibility with previous installations that
might have used autovacuum from contrib, so I think a mention of it is
warrented in the release notes (with a recomendation on how to port your old
autovacuum settings to the new system if anyone feels up to the task).

--
Robert Treat

Re: pg_autovacuum settings not saved on dump

Date:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 15:41, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Robert Treat reminded me the other day that we don't currently save
>> pg_autovacuum settings on pg_dump.

> ISTM this is a backwards incompatibility with previous installations that
> might have used autovacuum from contrib,

How do you figure that?  There was no corresponding capability at all in
previous versions, and pg_dump certainly didn't save any of the contrib
autovacuum daemon's arguments for you.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_autovacuum settings not saved on dump

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 11:24:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > On Thursday 15 September 2005 15:41, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >> Robert Treat reminded me the other day that we don't currently save
> >> pg_autovacuum settings on pg_dump.
>
> > ISTM this is a backwards incompatibility with previous installations that
> > might have used autovacuum from contrib,
>
> How do you figure that?  There was no corresponding capability at all in
> previous versions, and pg_dump certainly didn't save any of the contrib
> autovacuum daemon's arguments for you.

Previously the settings would be contained in whatever script the user
was using to start pg_autovacuum, which means they could dump and
restore all day long and not lose any config. This is no longer the
case.

In any case, we should make sure users know about this behavior. I'd be
rather ticked if I did a dump/restore and my settings were suddenly
gone.