PITR on different hardware

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
I didn't see anything mentioned in the docs about this, so I'm curious
as to how significant of a change you can make to the hardware or
software configuration for a restore before breaking things.

Secondly, is PostgreSQL smart enough to complain in these cases or will
it be silent and cause unexpected data corruption later on?

Can you go from Sparc on Solaris to Linux on AMD?

How about from UltraSparc IV to UltraSparc III?

--

Re: PITR on different hardware

Date:
Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> writes:
> Secondly, is PostgreSQL smart enough to complain in these cases or will
> it be silent and cause unexpected data corruption later on?

It will catch anything that affects the contents or layout of
pg_control, which includes a fair amount of stuff (endianness,
most of the popular compile options, probably alignment).  We
don't really guarantee to catch every possible incompatibility,
however.

> Can you go from Sparc on Solaris to Linux on AMD?

Almost certainly not --- aren't they different endianness?

> How about from UltraSparc IV to UltraSparc III?

Damifino.  How much difference is there between those architectures?
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> writes:
> > Secondly, is PostgreSQL smart enough to complain in these cases or will
> > it be silent and cause unexpected data corruption later on?
>
> It will catch anything that affects the contents or layout of
> pg_control, which includes a fair amount of stuff (endianness,
> most of the popular compile options, probably alignment).  We
> don't really guarantee to catch every possible incompatibility,
> however.

Okay, that helps reduce what I need to look for anyway.

> > How about from UltraSparc IV to UltraSparc III?
>
> Damifino.  How much difference is there between those architectures?

Quite similar. My understand is that US IV's are essentially a dual-core
US III.