Re: FreeBSD ICU was Win32 unicode vs ICU

From
"John Hansen"
Date:
Kevin McArthur Wrote:

> Should the postgresql project also be looking at CLDR for
> cross-platform unicode support?

Afaict, from the ICU website, ICU too uses CLDR.
Why reinvent the wheel?

... John

Re: FreeBSD ICU was Win32 unicode vs ICU

From
Roman Neuhauser
Date:
# john@geeknet.com.au / 2005-08-25 04:53:47 +1000:
> Kevin McArthur Wrote:
>
> > Should the postgresql project also be looking at CLDR for
> > cross-platform unicode support?
>
> Afaict, from the ICU website, ICU too uses CLDR.
> Why reinvent the wheel?
   Just a thought: PHP is under a BSD-like (Apache-style) license.   Does that mean they're going to rewrite ICU under
theirlicense?

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.

Re: FreeBSD ICU was Win32 unicode vs ICU

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:13:28PM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > Afaict, from the ICU website, ICU too uses CLDR.
> > Why reinvent the wheel?
>
>     Just a thought: PHP is under a BSD-like (Apache-style) license.
>     Does that mean they're going to rewrite ICU under their license?

Near as I can tell, ICU is under a BSD like licence.

http://dev.icu-project.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/icu/license.html

Perhaps they are compatable.

Have a nice day,

Date:
# kleptog@svana.org / 2006-03-26 15:53:24 +0200:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:13:28PM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > > Afaict, from the ICU website, ICU too uses CLDR.
> > > Why reinvent the wheel?
> >
> >     Just a thought: PHP is under a BSD-like (Apache-style) license.
> >     Does that mean they're going to rewrite ICU under their license?
>
> Near as I can tell, ICU is under a BSD like licence.
   I got confused by the Gnome LocaleProject reference earlier in the   thread, sorry for the noise.
> http://dev.icu-project.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/icu/license.html
>
> Perhaps they are compatable.
   They should be, as the ICU license is basically the MIT license   tightened to have the same set of requirements as
thenew BSD   license.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.