Upcoming back-branch releases

Date:
The core committee has agreed that we need to do a set of releases
in the back branches soon --- certainly 8.0 has accumulated a critical
mass of changes since 8.0.3, and probably there's enough to justify
updates of the 7.* branches too.  We hope to get these out sometime
next week, after the first 8.1 beta release is done.

So, if you've got any pending patches for the back branches, now would
be a good time to get 'em done up and sent in.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 15 August 2005 13:06, Tom Lane wrote:
> The core committee has agreed that we need to do a set of releases
> in the back branches soon --- certainly 8.0 has accumulated a critical
> mass of changes since 8.0.3, and probably there's enough to justify
> updates of the 7.* branches too.  We hope to get these out sometime
> next week, after the first 8.1 beta release is done.
>
> So, if you've got any pending patches for the back branches, now would
> be a good time to get 'em done up and sent in.

I installed 7.3.10 from source the other day, and noticed that at the end of
initdb it told me I could register my install and check out the mailing
lists, both a 404'd web pages. Does anyone think we should update these older
versions with more current information?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

From
Andrew Dunstan

Robert Treat wrote:

>I installed 7.3.10 from source the other day, and noticed that at the end of
>initdb it told me I could register my install and check out the mailing
>lists, both a 404'd web pages. Does anyone think we should update these older
>versions with more current information?

And also to redirect those old URLs to the right place, if possible.
Surely writing a few Redirect lines in an apache config file isn't
beyond us.

cheers

andrew

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> The core committee has agreed that we need to do a set of releases
> in the back branches soon --- certainly 8.0 has accumulated a critical
> mass of changes since 8.0.3, and probably there's enough to justify
> updates of the 7.* branches too.  We hope to get these out sometime
> next week, after the first 8.1 beta release is done.
>
> So, if you've got any pending patches for the back branches, now would
> be a good time to get 'em done up and sent in.

Is there any call to backport the pg_dump object sorting improvements?

It could be considered a 'bug' I guess, and could help people upgrading
from 7.4...

Chris

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Monday 15 August 2005 13:06, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The core committee has agreed that we need to do a set of releases
>> in the back branches soon --- certainly 8.0 has accumulated a critical
>> mass of changes since 8.0.3, and probably there's enough to justify
>> updates of the 7.* branches too.  We hope to get these out sometime
>> next week, after the first 8.1 beta release is done.
>>
>> So, if you've got any pending patches for the back branches, now would
>> be a good time to get 'em done up and sent in.
>>

> I installed 7.3.10 from source the other day, and noticed that at the end of
> initdb it told me I could register my install and check out the mailing
> lists, both a 404'd web pages. Does anyone think we should update these older
> versions with more current information?

What page did it point you to?  If nothing else, we can add a redirect to
a more appropriate location so that ppl don't get the 404 errors ...

----

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

Date:
> Is there any call to backport the pg_dump object sorting improvements?

My recollection is that that change was way too invasive to be
reasonable for a back-port.  The solutions used for circular reference
situations (various ALTER commands) probably don't exist very far back
anyway.

> It could be considered a 'bug' I guess, and could help people upgrading
> from 7.4...

They could just use the 8.0 pg_dump for that.

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Robert Treat wrote:
>> I installed 7.3.10 from source the other day, and noticed that at the end of
>> initdb it told me I could register my install and check out the mailing
>> lists, both a 404'd web pages. Does anyone think we should update these older
>> versions with more current information?

> What page did it point you to?  If nothing else, we can add a redirect to
> a more appropriate location so that ppl don't get the 404 errors ...

The 7.3 version of register.txt is attached.  We could update it, or get
rid of it completely as later branches did ...
        regards, tom lane

PostgreSQL has a web site at http://www.postgresql.org/ which carries details
on the latest release, upcoming features, and other information to make your
work or play with PostgreSQL more productive.

Please check the following URL for a listing of the current user-support
mailing lists:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/index.html#maillist

All of the mailing lists are currently archived and viewable at:
http://archives.postgresql.org/

And, so that we have an idea of who is using what, please connect to the
following registration URL:
http://www.pgsql.com/register/submit.php

Thank you for choosing PostgreSQL, the most advanced open source database
engine.

Date:
> My recollection is that that change was way too invasive to be
> reasonable for a back-port.  The solutions used for circular reference
> situations (various ALTER commands) probably don't exist very far back
> anyway.

Nah, all you need to do is take the 8.0 pg_dump, hard-code that
--use-set-session-authorization is always enabled, and remove use of
pg_get_serial_sequence IIRC...

>>It could be considered a 'bug' I guess, and could help people upgrading
>>from 7.4...
>
> They could just use the 8.0 pg_dump for that.

Yep. But who knows to do that? :)

My 2c : we have an archive of statically compiled pg_dump binaries on
postgresql.org.

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I'd vote to get rid of it ... the concept of 'registering' might throw
some for a loop ...

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Robert Treat wrote:
>>> I installed 7.3.10 from source the other day, and noticed that at the end of
>>> initdb it told me I could register my install and check out the mailing
>>> lists, both a 404'd web pages. Does anyone think we should update these older
>>> versions with more current information?
>
>> What page did it point you to?  If nothing else, we can add a redirect to
>> a more appropriate location so that ppl don't get the 404 errors ...
>
> The 7.3 version of register.txt is attached.  We could update it, or get
> rid of it completely as later branches did ...
>
>             regards, tom lane
>

> PostgreSQL has a web site at http://www.postgresql.org/ which carries details
> on the latest release, upcoming features, and other information to make your
> work or play with PostgreSQL more productive.
>
> Please check the following URL for a listing of the current user-support
> mailing lists:
>
>     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/index.html#maillist
>
> All of the mailing lists are currently archived and viewable at:
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/
>
> And, so that we have an idea of who is using what, please connect to the
> following registration URL:
>
>     http://www.pgsql.com/register/submit.php
>

> Thank you for choosing PostgreSQL, the most advanced open source database
> engine.

----

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> I'd vote to get rid of it ... the concept of 'registering' might throw
> some for a loop ...

Works for me; will do that in the 7.3 and 7.2 branches.

It'd still be a good idea to put in some redirects to make those old
URLs do something again.

Date:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> I'd vote to get rid of it ... the concept of 'registering' might throw
>> some for a loop ...
>
> Works for me; will do that in the 7.3 and 7.2 branches.
>
> It'd still be a good idea to put in some redirects to make those old
> URLs do something again.

Now redirected to http://www.postgresql.org ... if someone has a better
place to redirect it to, please feel free to suggest it ...

----

Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

From
Marko Kreen
Date:
 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-07/msg00291.php

--
marko

Tom Lane wrote:

>The core committee has agreed that we need to do a set of releases
>in the back branches soon --- certainly 8.0 has accumulated a critical
>mass of changes since 8.0.3, and probably there's enough to justify
>updates of the 7.* branches too.  We hope to get these out sometime
>next week, after the first 8.1 beta release is done.
>
>So, if you've got any pending patches for the back branches, now would
>be a good time to get 'em done up and sent in.

I am going to look urgently at fixing the "no IPv6 on Windows" bug that
came up yesterday.

cheers

andrew